Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Africa and Indian Ocean
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009

bareboatingtheworld is on a distinguished road
Seychelles - Pure Paradise

I was fortunate to bareboat in the Seychelles. I must say it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and highly recommended for anyone that can make the trip. The combination of sailing the southeast tradewinds, fantastic snorkeling, exotic land based nature, and incredible scenerary are unparalleled.

Check out the details of my two week bareboat charter (commented map, photo gallery, and log) and some area insight articles addressing before departure, provisions, living aboard, and local area sailing stuff available on my personal wordpress blog - bareboatingtheworld.com/seychelles.

Enjoy
Gaetano
Bareboatingtheworld.com

Last edited by bareboatingtheworld; 12-18-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2010

joeleitz is on a distinguished road
I'm a bit disappointed that you don't have more photos from your trip. I only saw one at both your links but perhaps I'm just missing something. I think sailing in the Seychelles would be a wonderful experience - it's something to dream about while I do my [EDIT] anyway. It there a problem with piracy in that area at all? You hear so much about piracy off the coast of Africa these days that I'm wondering if it's safe to sail in that area. It would make a great trip though.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 02-25-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: deleted commercial link
Old 12-18-2010

Re: Charter bareboat sailing the Seychelles

Joeleitz,
Here's a link to the photos. They're hosted on Picassa and were available through a link on the blog post.

Regarding piracy, the problem is bigger for those who make passages from the Seychelles to the coast of Africa. The Seychelles are over 1000 miles from the coast. In the primary bareboating area, there are 2 principle island groups within 25 miles of each other. Makes a great two week trip. Beacuse it's local water and so far from the coast, bareboating seems very safe for those not planning any major passages.

Keep dreaming, seems like a great way to get away from Java training.

Gaetano
Bareboating the World
Old 01-07-2011

[edit]
Thanks for the link to your picassa pictures. Wow, it sure is beautiful there isn't it? How nice for you that you can charter your boat and go to that area. Interesting video too - feeding the fish in that marine park. I've never seen that before and it's pretty cool. I'd love to do a two week charter to the Seychelles but I bet it would break the bank (and the banks are already broken enough ;-)). Nice.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 02-25-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: removed commercial link
Old 01-09-2011

I know what you mean by breaking the bank. I luckily went there from Europe which made the trip a bit easier, but, still the total travel cost was high. Once on the Island, the prices maintained the European level. No great bargains. But, the bottom line, still worth the expense. Best all around charter I've ever done. A once in a lifetime experience. thanks for commenting and have a great 2011.

Gaetano
Bareboatingtheworld.com
Old 01-27-2011

[edit]
I'm sure it's a once in a lifetime experience and I'd love to take a charter to that part of the world but I think that's going to have to wait for some years yet. The area looks absolutely stunning though and I have to admit that there's nothing I would rather do than escape North America in the middle of winter. At least it's something to daydream about.

You have a nice 2011 too and I hope you do some nice charters.

Joe

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 02-25-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: removed commercial link
Old 02-17-2011
Commodore

n8kraft is on a distinguished road
Piracy in Seychelles

Piracy has been reported near the Seychelles, but mainly larger commercial ships and working boats which can be used as pirate "mother ships" to host skiffs.
Old 02-17-2011

Thanks for the update. Do you know how far from the Islands of Praslin, La Digue, or Mahe? Are the bareboating grounds risky areas, particularly, the 25 mile passage between prasiln and Mahe?
Old 04-13-2011

mut is on a distinguished road
ICE Yachting - blue cruise,charter,sailing,Bodrum,Marmaris,Gocek

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.