Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Alajuela
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Alajuela 38

Looked at one of these on yachtworld. Anyone care to comment on these boats? Please no "out of date design" etc etc
Looking to hear from owners or people who have built and sailed these boats
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
GBurton,

The factory-finished Alejuela 38s are said to be nice quality boats. I've never sailed aboard one, but there are two of them at our marina, so I get to oggle them closely. There was a lot of nice custom wood and metalwork on the boats that distinguished them from run-of-the-mill production boats. They were considered many steps higher than say, Westsail, in terms of refinement and quality.

The A38 is a variation of William Atkin's Ingrid ketch. In fact, it's my understanding that it was an unauthorized variation, i.e. the design was essentially stolen and re-configured as a cutter rather than a Ketch, with no royalties paid to the designer's heirs. This legal sticking point may have contributed in part to the company's demise -- they went under in the late 70's or early 80's along with many other So.Cal. builders.

As much as I like the double-ender looks, and admire William Atkin designs, the standard interior does not appeal to me much. To my eye, with the standard configuration, it is a 38' boat without a lot of interior space. Your Westsail 32 (another Atkin design) is nearly as voluminous, but in a much more compact package. However, I have seen a few interiors that had better configurations -- with aft cabins or quarterberths. Of course, interior configuration is often a matter of personal preference.

They were solidly built boats. But, like your Westsail, they were polyester resin boats, so would have to be inspected for blistering (I have no specific knowledge about blistering problems, though).

Don't tell us you've already sold that Westsail?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-02-2008

Thanks for the reply John.

No - have not sold the Westsail and probably will not, but I'm intrigued by the Alajuela 38. I have heard from other people that the interior space is about the same as the W32 and that the A38 is basically a more refined W32. Indeed the A38 looks exactly like the W32 from the side and has almost the same beam. A friend here has an A33 and the interior is very well done....and the hull/deck joint on the Alajuela boats is the best in my opinion.

We might take a year off and cruise with the kids (5, 8 & 10) so we will be cramped and I'm drawn to the Atkins designs....but you have confirmed that the interior space is about the same as our boat.
I'm a sucker for the lines though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
GBurton,

The factory-finished Alejuela 38s are said to be nice quality boats. I've never sailed aboard one, but there are two of them at our marina, so I get to oggle them closely. There was a lot of nice custom wood and metalwork on the boats that distinguished them from run-of-the-mill production boats. They were considered many steps higher than say, Westsail, in terms of refinement and quality.

The A38 is a variation of William Atkin's Ingrid ketch. In fact, it's my understanding that it was an unauthorized variation, i.e. the design was essentially stolen and re-configured as a cutter rather than a Ketch, with no royalties paid to the designer's heirs. This legal sticking point may have contributed in part to the company's demise -- they went under in the late 70's or early 80's along with many other So.Cal. builders.

As much as I like the double-ender looks, and admire William Atkin designs, the standard interior does not appeal to me much. To my eye, with the standard configuration, it is a 38' boat without a lot of interior space. Your Westsail 32 (another Atkin design) is nearly as voluminous, but in a much more compact package. However, I have seen a few interiors that had better configurations -- with aft cabins or quarterberths. Of course, interior configuration is often a matter of personal preference.

They were solidly built boats. But, like your Westsail, they were polyester resin boats, so would have to be inspected for blistering (I have no specific knowledge about blistering problems, though).

Don't tell us you've already sold that Westsail?
Old 09-02-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
We might take a year off and cruise with the kids (5, 8 & 10) so we will be cramped and I'm drawn to the Atkins designs....but you have confirmed that the interior space is about the same as our boat.
I'm a sucker for the lines though!
GB,

I'm drawn to the Atkin designs as well. But I also have three kids in about the same range as you, and wouldn't choose the Alajuela 38 for an extended cruise. It would make a great couple's boat -- a Westsail 32 on steroids -- but it does not lend itself very well to reconfiguration for a family of five. The narrow beam coupled with the double-ended hull makes it tight on volume for its LOD.

Since you like the Atkin designs -- have you checked out the Cape George Cutters? They are derived from various traditional-sterned Atkin designs like Tally Ho and Tally Ho Major (rather than the double-ended designs such as Eric/Thistle/Ingrid that Westsail and Alajuela used). They have fuller hindquarters, longer waterlines, and generally are more powerful sailboats. Though not necessarily more voluminous, the volume is more useable in my opnion (i.e. it's not all concentrated at the main salon of the boat).

They sell their boat to any stage of completion or in kits:

Cape George Marineworks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-02-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-02-2008

I wonder if this "Tally Ho" inspired the CGC.....

This boat is on the hard in our harbor, a famous old boat!

The Albert Strange Association » Blog Archive » TALLY HO’s Fastnet
The Albert Strange Association » Blog Archive » This Boat Won the Fastnet Race in 1927
Old 09-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
I wonder if this "Tally Ho" inspired the CGC.....
Not sure. I seem to recall that Atkin's Tally Ho! design predates the one you linked to, and the boat in that link seems quite a bit larger too (Atkin's Tally Ho! is a 30-footer).

The CGC boats are directly derived from the Atkin boats. In some cases, they're nearly identical (31, 36). In others, like the 34, 38, and 40, they are adaptations, with the rudder moved in-board rather than transom hung. My favorite design is their 34, which was redrawn by Carl Chamberlain. Resting on its waterline, to my eye it is one of the handsomest boats ever launched.

Tally Ho!

By William Atkin, http://www.atkinboatplans.com/

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-03-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 12-22-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
I looked at an Alejuela 38 many years ago in the process of finding our Bristol. Nice boat, quality is excellent and it's built like a tank. We would have bought it, but we decided that a couple our age should probably stay in the 30 foot range and bought the Bristol 29.9. The Alejuela is definitely a prettier boat.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 05-14-2009

vpo3 is on a distinguished road
I own and sail Wabi Sabi - Alajuela 38 #63 build in 1977. We did a 5 year restoration: we did it all. The boats are build like tanks. Everything was done right; there were no short cuts.

The Alajuela 38 design was actually patterned after the Goucho - which was an Atkins-Archer that actually sailed well. The builders were two guys who were worked in the So. Cal. boating industry in the 70s and set out to build a cruising boat for themselves. The plan was to build 8 boats, keep 2 and sell the other 6. Mike Riding kept to the plan but Rod Jermaine kept building boats because the demand was there. They ended up building 81 A38s and about 30 A33s.

In the Winter/Spring of 2006/07 my wife and I sailed to the Bahamas and back from Maryland. We sailed in all kinds of conditions. We kept a detailed blog of our trip - with a number of sailing stories: many of which commented on performance. You can find them in our Yahoo group the name of which is "RuthandPierce". Message number 177, 193, and 210 all contain descriptions of our experiences making passages in Wabi Sabi, but there are many other posts that talk about life aboard an Alajuela 38 and her sailing characteristics. I'd post links, but Sailnet won't let me until my "post count" is 2 or greater.

Pierce Ostrander
s/v Wabi Sabi, Galesville, MD
Old 08-01-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Forgot to add to my first post, I've sailed a bit on an A38 that was slipped down in Freeport. Loved the boat - the absolute alter-ego of my Bristol. You're all correct that it doesn't have the room of typical 38 of the day, but, the only thing I didn't like was the chart table on this one was a tall, stand-up table with no way to sit down.
That notwithstanding, you can go anywhere you are crazy enough to go, in this boat.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited by johnshasteen; 08-01-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-05-2011

LittleFlower is on a distinguished road
Pierce,
I am trying to join an Alajuela yahoo group because I am interested in this boat. Can you provide the link to the Yahoo group? Currently I have a Nor'Sea 27, which I'm trying to sell so I can save for a family size boat in the future. I am considering an Alajuela and would like to learn more via a Yahoo group conversation.
Sincerely,
Teresa
Teresa Carey's Sailing, Simplicity, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpo3 View Post
I own and sail Wabi Sabi - Alajuela 38 #63 build in 1977. We did a 5 year restoration: we did it all. The boats are build like tanks. Everything was done right; there were no short cuts.

The Alajuela 38 design was actually patterned after the Goucho - which was an Atkins-Archer that actually sailed well. The builders were two guys who were worked in the So. Cal. boating industry in the 70s and set out to build a cruising boat for themselves. The plan was to build 8 boats, keep 2 and sell the other 6. Mike Riding kept to the plan but Rod Jermaine kept building boats because the demand was there. They ended up building 81 A38s and about 30 A33s.

In the Winter/Spring of 2006/07 my wife and I sailed to the Bahamas and back from Maryland. We sailed in all kinds of conditions. We kept a detailed blog of our trip - with a number of sailing stories: many of which commented on performance. You can find them in our Yahoo group the name of which is "RuthandPierce". Message number 177, 193, and 210 all contain descriptions of our experiences making passages in Wabi Sabi, but there are many other posts that talk about life aboard an Alajuela 38 and her sailing characteristics. I'd post links, but Sailnet won't let me until my "post count" is 2 or greater.

Pierce Ostrander
s/v Wabi Sabi, Galesville, MD