Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Alajuela
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012

dana2455 is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for an Alajuela 33.

I think the Alajuela 33 has the ideal layout for cruising with 2 kids, 2 quarter berths give everyone their own space without disrupting the salon etc. I sailed my 33 up and down the east coast twice along with countless hours on the Chesapeake and was always impressed with her speed & motion, she has a longer waterline length when compared to similar boats like a Pacific Seacraft 34 which makes a big difference. I've sailed lots of boats as a former broker in Annapolis and always walked away glad I owned the 33.

Known issues include many of the items listed by John V. I replaced the water tank which is failry involved as you have to cut up the cabin sole in order to remove. In addition I re-glassed the top of the holding tank, replaced rigging/spreaders, lots of electrical work.... The fuel tank which is located in the bilge always made me a bit nervous but I never had a problem. Other big project was having the rudder rebuilt. The core boat is built very well and most work/updating was due to old systems. I did notice some rot on the bottom insided edge of caprail which i never did address other than a fresh coat of paint.

Biggest problem is finding one!

All the best,

Ben
snider likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2012

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

Ben--Mind saying what necessitated your rebuilding your rudder? There's a lot of stress on them, judging from the feel of the tiller.

One design issue with the boat that's occurred to me is the cockpit.
In some respects, it's elegant--the well sides flare out at the bottom and the sole cants up at the sides, so on a heel, you have a flat place to stand. The opening portlights in the well ventilate and light the q-berths. But, the cockpit is too big, I think. I hate to imagine what would happen if it filled with water. And if it were a foot shorter and ten inches narrower, you could still sleep in it but also wedge your feet against the lower seat, and that extra room could have made a longer cabin.
But we should all have such problems. The Southern Cross 31's and PSC Mariahs I looked at had tiny cockpits. Overall, it's a stellar boat.
John V.
Old 05-09-2012

dana2455 is on a distinguished road

Hey John,

The rudder had obvious symmetry issues and was overall very unfair in shape. I think it was a classic case of a saturated rudder with winter haul-outs and freezing. This was one part of the rebuild that I had a hand with as I did not feel comfortable at the time with this type of fiberglass work. Basically the the glass was cut out on both sides leaving a small perimeter to maintain shape, the foam core was dug out and replaced with new before re-glassing and fairing, the rudder post connection to the framework was still good so nothing had to be done here.

My boat had wheel steering by a company called Don Allen, I was always tempted to remove and go back to tiller but never got around to it.

Certainly valid points about the cockpit, I never had a situation where I took on enormous amounts of water to give much feedback here. My boat did not have the portlights in the quarterberths.

I've been looking for bigger boat options for a while with no luck to date, at least in my price range! I went way outside of my normal traditional realm and looked closely at a C&C Landfall 38 but at the end of day the cored hull and a whole host of other issues freaked me out! I looked at a Contest 35S which was a cool boat, 6' draft makes me a bit nervous. Maybe an Allied Princess....

Anyway..... Always fun to talk boats.

Ben
Old 05-11-2012

JVallely is on a distinguished road

Ben, thanks for replying re the rudder. I'm glad to hear the issue wasn't with the internal metal frame. I discovered that my rudder was out of alignment with the tiller head, but I think it must have been sloppy manufacturing. I had to re-drill the rudder tubes anyway because of slop in the steering.
My Don Allen rack & pinion gear froze up once at a bad time (like there's a good time). Turned out an end tooth on the rack broke and jammed it. So I installed an engine control lever on the side of the well and a bulkhead compass. The original laminated tiller was still in the boat. Lots more room in the cockpit now.
I put a 3/8" polycarbonate lens in the hole left in the cockpit sole, permanently bedded into a bolted, 3/4" plywood donut, and covered it with a Beckson deck plate to keep dirt off it. The polycarbonate was from a scrap left over from a bullet-proof security booth so it ought to shed water. It lights up the area behind the engine beautifully when I have to work down there.
The tiller is a bit of work, but I think I just have to do a better job of balancing the sails, and I don't have to worry about another gear failure.
So far, the boat is plenty big for me, especially when it comes time to pay for storage.
I'm determined to put off-white wallpaper in the salon area to lighten it up, though.
John
Old 11-26-2012

Mico is on a distinguished road
Alajuella 33

Funny that you should mention looking for a Alajuela 33 We know of a fantastic one currently for sale and looking for her next adventure after a circumnavigation, cruising the Med, South America and Malaysia and the South Pacific.

Sure she's in Australia but think of all the koala's you could cuddle!

Check out our vid on youtube - Alajuela 33

fair winds,

Mico

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.