SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Alberg (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/alberg/)
-   -   New Alberg 30 owner (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/alberg/35893-new-alberg-30-owner.html)

matt1 08-08-2007 06:43 PM

New Alberg 30 owner

Hi. A buddy and I just purchased an A-30, with the intent to sell the boat for profit. However, in the course of sailing the boat from its old home to the new one, I have fallen in love with it and plan to keep the boat. I am sure I will learn many things about the boat over time, but I was just wondering if anyone knew the hull speed of the boat. We made the delivery reaching, in approximately 8 knots of wind, and average 5 knots. Any info on that would be appreciated. Thanks, Matt

NOLAsailing 08-08-2007 07:04 PM

GREAT boat. Congratulations.

The hull speed is determined by the following formula:

Hull Speed = 1.34 * (Sq. Root of the LWL)

So, the theoretical hullspeed for the A30, with a LWL of 21'8" would be 6.25 knots. You may get a little more when heeled.

If you don't know about it, I would highly recommend checking out the Plastic Classic forum at www.triton381.com/forum. Sailnet is a great resource, but you'll want to check out the Plastic Classic forum as well.

Morgan3820 08-09-2007 08:53 PM

I had an A-30 for 11 years. It is a good boat. Honest with no bad habits. Capable of taking you anywhere you would want to go. Check the fasteners for the chain plates, mine were just machine screws, not bolts.

matt1 08-10-2007 01:49 PM

Thanks for the info, now more questions

Thanks for both replies.
I figured the hull speed on paper to be about that, but I couldn't help thinking that once the boat heels (as you said) that speeds would maybe hit 7-7.5 kts. or more. I say this only because she sailed at 5 or so in fairly light wind. Where might I look for the hull#? I have only been able to get back to the boat once since we got home, even though it is only 10 minutes away, so I haven't been able to look very hard (newborn). Thanks for the heads up on the chain plates. I will look at that asap. I have looked at the alberg 30 site for some info on maintenance and trouble areas, but didn't seem to see anything on the toe rail. There has been at least one repair by a previous owner, where the section with the jenny track had been replaced. However, there is soft wood here, and it will need to be addressed. The fellow we bought the boat from pointed this out as we looked (great guy). He suggested that we bring the track inboard rather than try to replace the rail and remount the track in the original spot. He had tried to stem the rot by wrapping the affected areas in glass, but it didn't seem to help. I was initially thinking of trying to use one of the West products that you apply which wicks into comprimised wood to add strength, in order to put a full repair off for a while. Right now, the track is only attached from about the front half forward, so we can only use the track far forward or immediately change headsails if the wind picks up. Also, would you think that someone with fair to good woodworking skills would be able to make the cut in toe rail replacement, or would you suggest that we get prices from someone in this line of work. Thanks for your help, Matt

NOLAsailing 08-10-2007 02:45 PM

The wooden toerails should be straightforward for anyone competent with woodwork. You can scarf in the new piece pretty easily. There is little curvature in that area as well, so it should be a good "intro to woodwork" type project.

Epoxy will not serve your purpose here. It may work to stop rot from spreading, but it will not provide enough strength to bear to load of your track. Just go with the repair; it won't be as bad as you think.

I don't think the LWL will increase enough when heeled to hit 7.5 upwind, though those speeds are certainly attainable downwind as you come down waves.

matt1 08-10-2007 03:39 PM

Thanks for the advice. My partner in the boat is really the carpenter, so I will leave that up to him. The previous owner did supply us with a jig that he had made with the intent to repair, so that should be half the battle. Jason, I noticed that you were in New Orleans. We just moved back to MS from there. Do you know of a local supplier for teak that would be suitable for the toe rail? I have just been down to check the boat, make a list, etc. I suppose we will mostly just use the boat as is for the summer, and save extensive tasks for the winter weekends. I will undoubtedly have many questions as I go, and I appreciate your input. Overall, she is not in bad shape, with new paint top and bottom last year, varnish, etc. Previous owner made a lot of progress before he decided to sell. Thanks again, Matt

TSteele65 08-29-2007 05:15 PM

With regards to the hull number, find the builder's plate (should be mounted just below the companionway, above the bridge deck):

http://www.alberg30.org/store/BuildersPlate.jpg

The first two digits are the length, the next two are the year, and the last three are the hull number. This one would be hull number 584, built in '75.