SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Alberg 37

15K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  sail2awe 
#1 ·
Ahoy Sailors, Pirates and Scum,
My name is Captain Kip and besides being the scurge of the Pacific I own the finest Alberg 37 on three oceans. She is available for charter/sailing instruction out of San Francisco.

Email me at marckculver@hotmail.com at your own peril--ARRRRRR.

As to the sailing qualities of the A37, as far as I'm concerned, it is hard to do better if you love sailing in light air, high winds, big seas...she'll do it all. She is sea kindly and sea worthy. As to backing, it's not that hard and most of the time you follow the pointy end. In tight spaces, maneuvering is called back and fill and if you can't do that...stick with toy boats.

I've owned and lived on mine for over 10 yrs, six of those with my first mate. I've sailed the Eastern seaboard plus 5,000 of the Pacific via Mexico. Everywhere I go, other sailors and non-sailors comment on what a beautiful yacht she is. The only boat comparable for me is the Rhodes Offshore 41 which is a stretched version of the A37.

Funny thing is I met a guy with one in Mexico and he wanted to trade me straight across for his. Said he was looking for a bit smaller boat as his 41' was harder to single-hand. As to being narrow, 10' 2", there's many advantages to this and unless you want to stay in a marina, many disadvantages to those wide tubs.

If I won the lottery tomorrow, the only thing I would change on mine would be to add carbon fiber masts and sails from Port Townsen, WA. Enough said...Fair Winds..Cheers, Captain Kip

See less See more
#2 ·
You must not be counting the Gulf of Mexico otherwise you would know that I until yesterday owned the finest Alberg 37 in the sea! I sold her yesterday to my neighbor. I do agree with you though these are amazing sailing boats in light, medium or heavy air. You simply need the right gears for the winds.

I wanted something a little bigger so purchased an Alden Caravelle. She's 42 LOA and similar in proportions to the A-37.

Why not post a pic of your Alberg for us to see?

Here's mine and the Caravelle below.

Attachments

#4 ·
Shared Watch and Good News

You must not be counting the Gulf of Mexico otherwise you would know that I until yesterday owned the finest Alberg 37 in the sea! I sold her yesterday to my neighbor. I do agree with you though these are amazing sailing boats in light, medium or heavy air. You simply need the right gears for the winds.

I wanted something a little bigger so purchased an Alden Caravelle. She's 42 LOA and similar in proportions to the A-37.

Why not post a pic of your Alberg for us to see?

Here's mine and the Caravelle below.
And a pretty boat she is. I see that her sistership is for sale. I've been considering A37s. What can you tell me about her?

#3 ·
HI matey! thanks for reminding me about your alberg 37 and the pic. I think i did see your A37 in san carlos and i takked to you as well. My boat was on a moring for around 4 months before i moved her to Guymas do you ever look at tha A37 website? tell your friend about it. I am refitting Folie Douce for a circumnavigation starting in two 2009 Perhaps we will meet on the high seas, till then fair winds...Capt. Kip

#6 ·
I flew to Houston and took a look at Good News. Overall a sound boat I believe, though I had to call off the survey. Her condition has deteriorated since the photos were taken and we couldn't agree on a price. A very nice repowering job and some nice deck hardware and race rigging, but I plan on sailing rather than motoring and cruising rather than racing and she'd need considerable work for that. Topsides, interior, bow roller, plumbing, electrical. The costs would take her out of the money. I see there has been a price reduction since I saw her, but I'm looking at another A37 now. Might take another run at her if this deal doesn't come together and the price gets right.

#8 ·
Gentlemen: Can any of you put in touch with one or more A35 owners who are making passages in their boats? The Alberg 35 website hasn't been updated in some time and it isn't easy to find individuals who I can talk to about voyaging in this particular yacht.

Thanks,
OS

#9 ·

Hey Oakland. I agree about the 35 website, , Philyria,the 35 I bought and restored close to two years ago, still appears as up for sale. Don't know what is up with the website but there are still plenty of 35s actively sailing. Would think there would be an active website. Starting an unhurried, single-handed circumnav this fall.

#11 ·
Preble boy,

If you are still searching. We have a 1975 Alberg 37 that has not yet been listed. It has been completely refit in Marathon, Fl. We recently had it shipped via semi to Michigan, where we now live and have decided to sell. We purchased a home and are starting a family. Please email if interested in photos and more info.
Captashleymac at gmail dot com
This is not a fixer upper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.