Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop - Page 5 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Alberg
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 04-11-2011
graypenguin's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
graypenguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by algaebiodiesel View Post
pics are posted in the gallery now
You are docked in the same spot we were when we bought our Hunter 33. That off set in the dock can get you if your not careful
__________________
Wind Dragon
78 Hunter 33_77-83 Cherubini
Boats are real expensive, but not quite as expensive as West Marine. -- Maverick1958
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #42  
Old 04-22-2011
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Derbygal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by graypenguin View Post
You are docked in the same spot we were when we bought our Hunter 33. That off set in the dock can get you if your not careful
As if the Penguin would know

This is Penguin's other half, better known as the Cruise Director (*ahem* galley wench) on Wind Dragon

That "offset" he's talking about...here's the story. When we were in that spot, it was late evening and I came up out of our boat and went to step off onto the dock before my eyes had adjusted to the darkness. Hopefully they've fixed the dock now, but there was a space between two boards on the dock where another board was several inches lower than the rest. Thinking of that "offset" when I went to step off, I tried to step forward as much as I could and accidentally stepped right into that space. Not feeling the dock beneath me immediately, I thought for sure I had missed the dock and by the time my mind registered that the dock was under my foot I had already lost my balance. It all happened so fast...next thing I knew I was trying to catch my balance, twisting my ankle in that space & falling backwards. I remember thinking "OMG, I'm going into the water" and somehow I contorted my body just enough to hit the dock cleat on that inner dock - right smack with the middle of my right butt cheek. (I can attest that butt padding is USELESS, and no "padding" at all!) I landed with the loudest thud that I thought sure the whole marina would come running, but heaven knows even the ol' Penguin who was inside our boat didn't hear it. Needless to say, my ankle was chewed up pretty good for a couple of weeks and I had that big dock cleat perfectly imprinted on my rear (via bruise) for a lot longer. I laugh every time I tell the story now, but it sure hurt like hell when it happened!

FWIW...the previous Alberg owners (M&L), L stepped off our boat into that same space where the board was lower and twisted her ankle too. So beware...if that offset doesn't get you, the dock or the dock cleats will!

Congrats on your purchase, may you always have good winds and smooth sailing!
algaebiodiesel likes this.
__________________
Wind Dragon
Hunter 33_77-83 Cherubini
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #43  
Old 11-17-2011
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne - AU
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Minga is on a distinguished road
Oh man, Alberg 35 footer for a 10k ! Even if I spend additional 10k, it would be worth it.
Great boat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #44  
Old 11-17-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 3,373
Thanks: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 15
sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minga View Post
Oh man, Alberg 35 footer for a 10k ! Even if I spend additional 10k, it would be worth it.
Great boat
Most likely, not at all.

SN has a lot of threads like this...some newbie announces what a great deal he got...as the OP says
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt13 View Post
Yeah I just paid the boat off. The Repairs, where not as bad as first thought, they will run about $1500.00 from the yard, or way less if I do it myself. I got an awesome deal on this boat. ....]
He may not know much about boats, but it was so cheap, he thinks what could go wrong. So we have a string of happy posts re-affirming the wonder of wonder...a good boat, cheap. Then after a little time, the thread goes cold, the the OP dis-appears from SN. If he sticks around, subsequent posts never mention the great deal again.

The sad thing is these threads could be a great learning experience for readers, if the "what could go wrong..." posters would provide their own personal experience as to what can go wrong. Unfortunately, most people who mess up badly, are too embarrassed to admit so publicly, so they just dis-appear. Too bad.

Nothing is likely to be more expensive than a cheap boat. An old 35 footer can easily have a half-dozen problems, any one of which would cost $10K to repair...engine, deck, bulkheads, rig, and more. Buy a cheap boat that has two or three of these problems (why do you think it is cheap...) and all of a sudden, the expensive boat doesn't look so expensive.

You may think I make to much out of this, but I would rather hear what Capt13 might have to say.
L124C likes this.
__________________
Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 11-17-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #45  
Old 11-17-2011
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Derbygal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Most likely, not at all.

SN has a lot of threads like this...some newbie announces what a great deal he got...as the OP says
He may not know much about boats, but it was so cheap, he thinks what could go wrong. So we have a string of happy posts re-affirming the wonder of wonder...a good boat, cheap. Then after a little time, the thread goes cold, the the OP dis-appears from SN. If he sticks around, subsequent posts never mention the great deal again.

The sad thing is these threads could be a great learning experience for readers, if the "what could go wrong..." posters would provide their own personal experience as to what can go wrong. Unfortunately, most people who mess up badly, are too embarrassed to admit so publicly, so they just dis-appear. Too bad.

Nothing is likely to be more expensive than a cheap boat. An old 35 footer can easily have a half-dozen problems, any one of which would cost $10K to repair...engine, deck, bulkheads, rig, and more. Buy a cheap boat that has two or three of these problems (why do you think it is cheap...) and all of a sudden, the expensive boat doesn't look so expensive.

You may think I make to much out of this, but I would rather hear what Capt13 might have to say.
Wow.

Apologies Sailingfool, maybe you had not adequately followed the thread. Capt13 no longer owns the boat, algaebiodiesel owns it now. As the Penguin and I knew Capt13 and his wife and are familiar with their story, I can personally guarantee that they did not sell this boat because it was too much in repair, but rather for their own personal reasons that we all experience that just "pop up" on us every once in a while. They had the money to continue their dream, but life got in the way. It happens sometimes. I don’t think Capt13 (Mike) is still around on the forums to reply to you since he had to sell this boat, but I’m pretty sure he’ll be back eventually when they can shake free of their land ties.
In regards to buying a boat this cheaply, it is amazing to me how negative you have been throughout this thread about it. Not every buyer who purchases a boat cheap gets a raw deal, and I say this from personal experience. Penguin and I purchased our 33’ Hunter 18 months ago for 10K, and we’ve not had any major repair issues at all. Unlike Capt13 who bought the Alberg sight unseen and without a survey, we were careful buyers who thoroughly checked our boat out ourselves first, and then had a survey done on her. The survey came back that she was worth much, much more than we were paying, and we really DID get an excellent boat for our money. My point is, even if we had not checked her ourselves or had the survey and we had just plunked the money down like Capt13, we still would have come out with a sweet deal and one we’ve not regretted for a moment.
Sure, the Alberg needs work. Our boat needed some work. You are very right in that assumption. I don't believe any of us buy an older and/or used boat expecting it to be perfect (and those that do are truly not thinking clearly). You are wrong however in being so negative and assuming that all cheap boats are artificial coral reefs in the making. When you consider the economy for the past several years, and understand that many have had to sell off their boats for whatever they can get, there are some really good boat deals out there to be jumped on. It is my personal belief that whether you spend 10K on a used boat or 110K on a used boat, you should still expect to throw about 30K into her to make her “yours,” whether that means through major work or minor work depends on your plans for the boat.
I don’t know what repairs the Alberg needs, but I know that the things our boat needed were to be expected. Basically our hull was sound, our engine in great shape, and the interior was excellent for such an old boat. As a sampling of work we’ve done on ours: we’ve purchased all new electronics, new rigging, will have new sails next year (her old sails are still intact and useable, but we want new sails), Penguin rebuilt the water system, replaced the septic system, and will redo all of the electric in the future (yes, he has the skills to do this himself so we save a lot). Last winter she was hauled out and Penguin replaced all the through hulls, the cutlass bearing, and the shaft seal, moved our transponder to a better position, and replaced the vents. Aesthetically & comfort-wise, I’ve added a bimini, replaced all interior cushions & covers, curtains, lighting, head walls and fixtures, and am currently in the process of redoing my galley. Next year we will replace the interior flooring (because we want to, not because we have to) and we will have Tek Dek or Sea Dek (I forget which) installed topside (again, this is preference, not necessity). In fact, most of the work we’ve done has been preference, not necessity, and nothing had to be done immediately.
Still, when I look at the spreadsheet of our spending, what we plan to spend, and add in the 10K purchase cost, it’s still cheaper than buying a new or even a newer (costlier) boat. Ours is also a planned live aboard & coastal cruising yacht so we’ve done a lot of extra preferential work you aren’t even considering, and even factoring these things in, your math still does not add up.
Oh, and just because some of us “newbie” people don’t post a lot, it doesn’t mean that we’ve left, or that we messed up & we’re afraid to admit it. This is my 6th post. I didn’t leave, I didn’t mess up, and I’m quite proud to talk about our boat, I just don’t post much on forums. I think this is the first time it’s been mentioned that we acquired Wind Dragon so cheaply, but I’m happy to say that we’re not the fools some bitter forum poster would judge us to be just because we were smart enough to know a good deal when we saw it. Had we passed up Wind Dragon just because of the idea that a cheap boat is not a good boat, THEN we would have “messed up badly” as you said. We may have even gone your route and spent more than we could afford on an over-priced boat, and then been stuck with other issues and repairs we couldn’t afford because of having spent more for the boat initially. Then where would we be? Can you see where I’m going with this? Either way, someone would have bought Wind Dragon cheaply, and they still would have gotten an AWESOME deal. Knowing the difference between spending your money wisely and just spending your money, is what has gotten this country in trouble. I guess I can see what side of the coin flip you landed on.
algaebiodiesel and Rik_Aruba like this.
__________________
Wind Dragon
Hunter 33_77-83 Cherubini
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #46  
Old 12-17-2011
smurphny's Avatar
Over Hill Sailing Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks NY
Posts: 2,323
Thanks: 34
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 6
smurphny is on a distinguished road
I also have a '67 A-35. I bought it as a basket case (although it had a new Yanmar worth as much as I paid for the boat). As sailingfool has mentioned above, there can be and PROBABLY ARE many things wrong with a 40+ old boat. I bought the boat knowing it would need major work and was prepared to do all that work. Being retired, I have the time. If done by a yard, the cost would have been much, much more than the boat would ever be worth. That said, the result is, I now have a boat that is seaworthy, will take me anywhere, has all new electronics, windvane, new manual and elec. pumps, batteries and wiring, fresh water system, plenty of sails, new rigging, anchors, and more. I would say that IF you can assess what an old boat needs AND are prepared to do the work yourself, it is a very good way to go. Instead of spending 100K, getting into debt or selling your house you can have every bit as good a boat for much less than half that amount.

Anyway, would like to hear from some other Alberg owners. I know from seeing plenty of our old boats on the water that there are still lots of these around.
Rik_Aruba likes this.
__________________
Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-17-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: more
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #47  
Old 12-20-2011
algaebiodiesel's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
algaebiodiesel is on a distinguished road
To be fair the swept away did have some issues, but they were not hidden or unknown. I have taken the time to learn how to appropriately do all the repairs myself as I am very passionate about the art of sailing.
Sadly because she sat for a while there were wiring issues from rodents as well as clean up but nothing insurmountable.
It is a labor of love so to me it is really not labor at all.
At this point I have litterally had my hand on every inch of the vessel inside and out and have dove on her several times and inspected every inch below the waterline as well.
She is now far from where she started but I will say this, I got a diamond without question.
I have taken her out several times and my god does she cut through the water like a dream!
I am besides myself with joy and couldn't be happier, so in my opinion....I win.
Rik_Aruba likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #48  
Old 12-20-2011
algaebiodiesel's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
algaebiodiesel is on a distinguished road
wind gen

Completely rebuilt and recoated and working 100%
Attached Thumbnails
Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #49  
Old 12-20-2011
algaebiodiesel's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
algaebiodiesel is on a distinguished road
random pics of my lady being repaired

Add Content
Attached Thumbnails
Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #50  
Old 12-21-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 3,373
Thanks: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 15
sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbygal View Post
Wow.

..... Not every buyer who purchases a boat cheap gets a raw deal, and I say this from personal experience. Penguin and I purchased our 33’ Hunter 18 months ago for 10K, and we’ve not had any major repair issues at all. Unlike Capt13 who bought the Alberg sight unseen and without a survey, we were careful buyers who thoroughly checked our boat out ourselves first, and then had a survey done on her. The survey came back that she was worth much, much more than we were paying, and we really DID get an excellent boat for our money. My point is, even if we had not checked her ourselves or had the survey and we had just plunked the money down like Capt13, we still would have come out with a sweet deal and one we’ve not regretted for a moment.
Sure, the Alberg needs work. Our boat needed some work. You are very right in that assumption. I don't believe any of us buy an older and/or used boat expecting it to be perfect (and those that do are truly not thinking clearly). You are wrong however in being so negative and assuming that all cheap boats are artificial coral reefs in the making. When you consider the economy for the past several years, and understand that many have had to sell off their boats for whatever they can get, there are some really good boat deals out there to be jumped on. It is my personal belief that whether you spend 10K on a used boat or 110K on a used boat, you should still expect to throw about 30K into her to make her “yours,” whether that means through major work or minor work depends on your plans for the boat.
I don’t know what repairs the Alberg needs, but I know that the things our boat needed were to be expected. Basically our hull was sound, our engine in great shape, and the interior was excellent for such an old boat. As a sampling of work we’ve done on ours: we’ve purchased all new electronics, new rigging, will have new sails next year (her old sails are still intact and useable, but we want new sails), Penguin rebuilt the water system, replaced the septic system, and will redo all of the electric in the future (yes, he has the skills to do this himself so we save a lot). Last winter she was hauled out and Penguin replaced all the through hulls, the cutlass bearing, and the shaft seal, moved our transponder to a better position, and replaced the vents. Aesthetically & comfort-wise, I’ve added a bimini, replaced all interior cushions & covers, curtains, lighting, head walls and fixtures, and am currently in the process of redoing my galley. Next year we will replace the interior flooring (because we want to, not because we have to) and we will have Tek Dek or Sea Dek (I forget which) installed topside (again, this is preference, not necessity). In fact, most of the work we’ve done has been preference, not necessity, and nothing had to be done immediately.
Still, when I look at the spreadsheet of our spending, what we plan to spend, and add in the 10K purchase cost, it’s still cheaper than buying a new or even a newer (costlier) boat. Ours is also a planned live aboard & coastal cruising yacht so we’ve done a lot of extra preferential work you aren’t even considering, and even factoring these things in, your math still does not add up.
Oh, and just because some of us “newbie” people don’t post a lot, it doesn’t mean that we’ve left, or that we messed up & we’re afraid to admit it. This is my 6th post. I didn’t leave, I didn’t mess up, and I’m quite proud to talk about our boat, I just don’t post much on forums. I think this is the first time it’s been mentioned that we acquired Wind Dragon so cheaply, but I’m happy to say that we’re not the fools some bitter forum poster would judge us to be just because we were smart enough to know a good deal when we saw it. Had we passed up Wind Dragon just because of the idea that a cheap boat is not a good boat, THEN we would have “messed up badly” as you said. We may have even gone your route and spent more than we could afford on an over-priced boat, and then been stuck with other issues and repairs we couldn’t afford because of having spent more for the boat initially. Then where would we be? Can you see where I’m going with this? Either way, someone would have bought Wind Dragon cheaply, and they still would have gotten an AWESOME deal. Knowing the difference between spending your money wisely and just spending your money, is what has gotten this country in trouble. I guess I can see what side of the coin flip you landed on.
Wow to you!

Your comments reflect some appreciation about the financial reality of buying a cheap boat. Your statement "you should still expect to throw about 30K into her..." is good insight, but how it differs from the comment which provoked my post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minga View Post
Oh man, Alberg 35 footer for a 10k ! Even if I spend additional 10k, it would be worth it.
Great boat
If he had said $30K I would not have commented.

But the truth of the matter is that 30k doesn't get you real far in a boatyard or at Defender Industries. You have made a lot of progress in your boat, could you share what your out-of-pocket has been (just skip all the hours and hours of work)? Allowing for some surprises (a new engine for $12,000 in a 30 year old boat isn't really a surprise...) seems likely you may well end up within a few years having spent $50-60,000 on your baby. Which is OK, if you can afford it there's a lot of pleasure in having a boat just the way you want it and the pride of ownership coming from something you have made just right. Been there, done that, go for it. If you get the boat to perfection and then keep it forever, all is good.

But if you decide to move up or circumstances change, the buyer who pays you $24,000 for your thoroughly upgraded and renovated boat is the only buyer who gets the AWESOME deal.
__________________
Certified...in several regards...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sloop, Cutter or Ketch jsgsail Boat Review and Purchase Forum 17 12-26-2008 02:47 PM
Ketch/Yawl Handling svsymphony Seamanship & Navigation 19 07-05-2008 01:19 AM
Hinckley Pilot 35 Kerwood Boat Review and Purchase Forum 14 07-26-2006 10:07 PM
Yawl Info Needed sailortonyb1 Boat Review and Purchase Forum 5 01-18-2006 04:51 AM
diffrent rigs? (schooner, ketch, cutter, sloop) jbarros Boat Review and Purchase Forum 2 07-09-2003 04:10 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012