SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Alberg (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/alberg/)
-   -   Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/alberg/63397-just-bought-1967-35-alberg-ericson-sloop.html)

capt13 03-30-2010 11:48 PM

Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop

The boat is in mint condition, except for the bulk heads are shot, I got a real deal on the Boat. The yard people say they can't tell how deep the damage of the bulk heads go's, that they need to cut some fiberglass away to see, and it's going to be $2000.00 to $5000.00 to fix. Does this seem to be a proper price for something like this?

Architeuthis 03-31-2010 11:15 PM

Sweet boat. Having owned an Alberg I think you have yourself a good boat worth spending a few dollars on.

Was it a good deal? Even you do not know that as you do not know who much work needs to be done. If you were doing the work I would be quicker to say you got a good deal but yard work is expensive.

$2 to $5G expensive? Maybe. It depends on what is done. Do they need to remove/install the bulkhead (I can only recall one main bulkhead, I guess there are a couple either side of the companionway).

Or does most of the interior need to be repaired or replaced?

$5G sounds cheap if they are pulling out lots of the interior and installing marine grade plywood or it sounds expensive if they are just using epoxy to patch up a rotten section, but then I rarely have much yard work done so I'm not sure.

bljones 04-01-2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt13 (Post 587512)
The boat is in mint condition, except for the bulk heads are shot...

Then it isn't in mint condition. I hope you had her surveyed, you'd hate to find out that other ugly surprises are lurking.

Good luck, and enjoy her.

capt13 04-05-2010 11:36 PM

Thanks for the Replys, I Didn't have her Surveyed, Im going to do most of that myself before I hand over the rest of the Cash. She's Old but a good looking boat, and I got her for Dirt Cheap, So im not worried about, putting some money in her.

Maverick1958 04-06-2010 06:57 AM

Congratulations! Great boat! Get a second opinion on what needs done you may be able to do it youself and save money assuming you have the time and abilities.

inshallamiami 04-06-2010 07:53 AM

pics?

capt13 04-06-2010 08:59 PM

Adventures on our 1967 35ft Alberg Ericson sloop Swept Away - HomeHere are pics of the boat on my wife's website. I talked them down to $9,400.00 for the boat so I think it's a good deal. If we have to put some money into her Im willing to do so. We go to pick her up on April 23rd in Ga, and are motoring down to Florida.

deniseO30 04-07-2010 07:25 AM

May the "I bought a boat without a survey" gods be with you! Pretty boat!

daydreamer92 04-07-2010 09:30 AM

Just sayin'

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt13 (Post 589882)
Adventures on our 1967 35ft Alberg Ericson sloop Swept Away - HomeHere are pics of the boat on my wife's website. I talked them down to $9,400.00 for the boat so I think it's a good deal. If we have to put some money into her Im willing to do so. We go to pick her up on April 23rd in Ga, and are motoring down to Florida.

When did almost 10K become dirt cheap? Zounds. :)

More seriously, it does sound like a *lot* of money to spend on a boat without spending another 350-400 bucks on a survey. Especially since you are already looking at another $5K for a repair.

Not to tell you how to spend your money, but try to think of the survey as the first money you're willing to put into her. A few hundred bucks on a good surveyor may well prove one of the best investments you can make in a 43 year old boat.

sailingfool 04-07-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt13 (Post 589557)
Thanks for the Replys, I Didn't have her Surveyed, Im going to do most of that myself before I hand over the rest of the Cash. She's Old but a good looking boat, and I got her for Dirt Cheap, So im not worried about, putting some money in her.

One may set oneself up for a rude financial experience to think one can buy a yacht so cheap there's no risk in doing so. The cheaper the boat, and the bigger it is, the larger the dollar hole will be.

I'd guess that if a buyer is very, very expert and very, very careful, one could find a "good" deal that is not a hosing waiting to happen. But for the rest of us....