Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Alberg
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010
captain mike

capt13 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop

The boat is in mint condition, except for the bulk heads are shot, I got a real deal on the Boat. The yard people say they can't tell how deep the damage of the bulk heads go's, that they need to cut some fiberglass away to see, and it's going to be $2000.00 to $5000.00 to fix. Does this seem to be a proper price for something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Sweet boat. Having owned an Alberg I think you have yourself a good boat worth spending a few dollars on.

Was it a good deal? Even you do not know that as you do not know who much work needs to be done. If you were doing the work I would be quicker to say you got a good deal but yard work is expensive.

$2 to $5G expensive? Maybe. It depends on what is done. Do they need to remove/install the bulkhead (I can only recall one main bulkhead, I guess there are a couple either side of the companionway).

Or does most of the interior need to be repaired or replaced?

$5G sounds cheap if they are pulling out lots of the interior and installing marine grade plywood or it sounds expensive if they are just using epoxy to patch up a rotten section, but then I rarely have much yard work done so I'm not sure.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 04-01-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt13 View Post
The boat is in mint condition, except for the bulk heads are shot...
Then it isn't in mint condition. I hope you had her surveyed, you'd hate to find out that other ugly surprises are lurking.

Good luck, and enjoy her.
Old 04-06-2010
captain mike

Thanks for the Replys, I Didn't have her Surveyed, Im going to do most of that myself before I hand over the rest of the Cash. She's Old but a good looking boat, and I got her for Dirt Cheap, So im not worried about, putting some money in her.
Old 04-06-2010
Bristol 29.9

Maverick1958 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Maverick1958
Congratulations! Great boat! Get a second opinion on what needs done you may be able to do it youself and save money assuming you have the time and abilities.
Old 04-06-2010

inshallamiami is on a distinguished road
pics?
Old 04-06-2010
captain mike

Adventures on our 1967 35ft Alberg Ericson sloop Swept Away - HomeHere are pics of the boat on my wife's website. I talked them down to $9,400.00 for the boat so I think it's a good deal. If we have to put some money into her Im willing to do so. We go to pick her up on April 23rd in Ga, and are motoring down to Florida.

Last edited by capt13; 04-06-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
May the "I bought a boat without a survey" gods be with you! Pretty boat!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
Just sayin'

Quote:
Adventures on our 1967 35ft Alberg Ericson sloop Swept Away - HomeHere are pics of the boat on my wife's website. I talked them down to $9,400.00 for the boat so I think it's a good deal. If we have to put some money into her Im willing to do so. We go to pick her up on April 23rd in Ga, and are motoring down to Florida.
When did almost 10K become dirt cheap? Zounds.

More seriously, it does sound like a *lot* of money to spend on a boat without spending another 350-400 bucks on a survey. Especially since you are already looking at another $5K for a repair.

Not to tell you how to spend your money, but try to think of the survey as the first money you're willing to put into her. A few hundred bucks on a good surveyor may well prove one of the best investments you can make in a 43 year old boat.
L124C and Rik_Aruba like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.

Last edited by daydreamer92; 04-07-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Thanks for the Replys, I Didn't have her Surveyed, Im going to do most of that myself before I hand over the rest of the Cash. She's Old but a good looking boat, and I got her for Dirt Cheap, So im not worried about, putting some money in her.
One may set oneself up for a rude financial experience to think one can buy a yacht so cheap there's no risk in doing so. The cheaper the boat, and the bigger it is, the larger the dollar hole will be.

I'd guess that if a buyer is very, very expert and very, very careful, one could find a "good" deal that is not a hosing waiting to happen. But for the rest of us....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.