Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Alberg
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Need diesel for Alberg 30

Ebay, craigslist, boatyards, forums like this, etc. are places to look for used diesels.

If it were me looking for a diesel I'd avoid brands like Volvo, Farymann and a few other odd brands as parts are either absurdly expensive or just not to be found.

What I've been doing my best to NOT tell you is that if you can cross reference which Kubota block is used in the 'A4 drop in replacement' engines, you might be able to find a cheap engine that came from a piece of used farm equipment, like a tractor.

Here is an sample of the cross referencing I am talking about: Kubota / Universal Injector parts Numbers & Engine Block Equivalents

Once you find out the Kubota block # you then have to figure out which Kubota tractor it was installed in to find parts for it.

From a purely monetary perspective I'd probably go for a re-built A4 from Moyer Marine for around $6K and call it done. If you are planning on motoring for days and days I'd lean more towards getting a diesel re-power.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

While I'm a big fan of diesel over gasoline, I have to fully agree that the expensive and certain aggravation of this swap makes little sense. Much better to sell the boat and buy one with a diesel in it already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-14-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Here's an example on eBay - a Vetus M3.10 with Hurth transmission (same engine as in my boat) for $1,325:

Vetus Marine Diesel Engine 22hp | eBay

All you have to do is drive down to Florida with your flat-bed lawn trailer!
Old 09-15-2012

Wewe is on a distinguished road

I have found a yanmar 3gm30f will this fit and be easy to swap ?
Old 09-15-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wewe View Post
I have found a yanmar 3gm30f will this fit and be easy to swap ?
Fit? Suppose it would.

Easy? Not by any definition of the word that I know.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-17-2012

nickmerc is on a distinguished road

Wewe, I am still curious. Why are bent on getting a diesel? There are so many other things to spend money on for your boat other than replacing a functioning engine.
Old 09-18-2012

Wewe is on a distinguished road

It works sometimes but I'll never be able to trust this rusty thing unless I pull her out and go thru it top to bottom. I might be making a bad mistake but it just scares me to think I might have to trust this 47 year old motor that runs when it wants to and has already broken 2 spark plugs and not one head stud looks like it will come out without snapping in half.
Old 09-18-2012

Sure sounds like the motor could use a good tune up. If you did that top to bottom, plugs, wires, hoses, filters, cleaning, mounts, etc, etc, it would not cost more than just the cost of fitting a new motor (which essentially includes all that stuff). If your motor has bad compression or burns oil, it may have more serious trouble. Otherwise, most else can be fixed cheap.

I do, however, like the idea of diesel over gas fumes. Nevertheless, as I've said, it seems to make little sense to spend the kind of money it will take to repower, when you can buy a boat that already has one.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-18-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Late to this party but I own a Universal M25 (21 hp 3 cyl diesel). This engine is based on a Kubota D850 tractor engine. The Universal M25-XP is based on the Kubota D950. The Beta Marine engines are also based on Kubota engines.

How is the transmission?

A new engine and transmission is going to cost $10K to start.

If you are really tired of working on your existing engine, I believe that you can buy a Moyer Marine rebuild of your same block at a nominal price.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 09-18-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Wewe,

As you can see, the overwhelming verdict is to either: a) Rebuild your current engine; b) Invest in a replacement A4 someone else has rebuilt; or c) Get a different boat.

The bottom line is that the only "drop in" replacement for an A4 is another A4.