Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Allmand
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
New Allmand 31 owner aboard

Hi All...

Whoever "all" might be owning a 30 year old, out of production Allmand.

The Allmand 31 is ours! We're the 3rd owners of this beauty. I have had a couple posts elswhere (seems to get more response and ideas). First owner was the dealer in Seattle back in 1980. Then the 2nd owners had her from 1991 until this past Saturday. The wife and I just fell in love with it after having looked at a good dozen other 24-36' boats.

I do have questions! First is: Is there any way to see your fresh water tank level? Is there any way tpo drain your fresh water tank without burning up the pressure pump by turning the faucets on?

2nd. Where is the HIN on a 1979? And how can I tell what hull number I have in the production run?

We'll start with those.

Dave
Stanwood, WA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: New Allmand 31 owner aboard

Dave, you need to post pics of her!

Does your fresh water tank have an inspection port? Mine is near the anchor locker. As for ways to drain it, assuming you have an inspection port, you could rig up a manual or electric pump and pump it out. You could get one of those 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot/Lowes/etc., and pump into that (4 gallons at a time!!!) and then dump that overboard. But, honestly, running the fresh water pump may not be the worst thing in the world as it will help you test the system.

The HIN should be on the outside of the starboard transom, just under the rub rail. If you look carefully in this picture, you'll see the lettering right near where the transom intersects the starboard side.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2013

Hi All,

The PO was REAL good about keeping receipts, manuals etc. and had kept all the records from the original owner as well. I possess the original Allmand warranty mail in card and I own the 15th 31' hull ever laid down! WOW. I've also seen on the internet pictures of those selling their Allamand, how the boats DID change over the 5 years of production. My boat is solid teak inside. Looks like the later years went to a mix of an off color brown paneling with teak panels and doors in the cabins. I do like the way they put a full plastic hatch up front for the anchor locker. I've got a vented teak door. Not real water or smelly proof for an achor rode coming back aboard.

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 09-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

So, where are the pictures?!?!!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2013

Pictures are in this (Allmand) forum titled "Quick pics of Traveler".

Dave
jimgo likes this.
GOD, Family, career
Old 09-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Did you find the HIN number?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-05-2013

Didn't find the HIN yet. Going to the boat Saturday afternoon. Will loo see then.
GOD, Family, career
Old 02-17-2014

Brett1971 is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I just inherited an '83 Allmand 31 from my uncle. He lived aboard her in Fl. I've never owned a sailboat before and have a couple of questions.

My boat has the Universal M25; do you know what approx range I can expect from a full tank? I know it depends on a number of different variables but is there a general rule of thumb to use? I really want to eventually sail her over to and around the Bahamas.

Also, any thoughts on replacing the diesel with an electric motor? I plan on installing a wind generator and solar panels soon and I know an electric motor would require a bigger battery bank, maybe some wiring upgrades, etc.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Brett
Old 02-18-2014
Asleep at the wheel

Brett,
Welcome aboard, and welcome to Allmand ownership! I have the M16 (actually, it's the 5416, which is the predecessor to the M16), so I can't directly answer your question. However, a quick Internet search suggests that for similar boats (e.g., the Catalina 30) you'll use somewhere between .5 and .75 gallons per hour. What does that translate to in miles? Well, that depends. If you're motoring only, the Allmand 31 will make about 5 knots in my experience. If you can get some good wind, though, you can motor-sail and get that closer to 5.5, possibly even 6 knots on average. My blog has a summary of our trip and fuel usage when we moved our Allmand 31 last summer (Post-trip wrap-up |). For planning purposes, I think I'd go with the assumption that I'd burn an average of 0.75 gallons per hour, and that I'd average about 5 knots, just so I'd be sure I wouldn't run out of fuel. So, that means I'd plan on getting about 6.5 nautical miles per gallon. With a 25 gallon tank, that's at least 160 miles per tank. Again, you'll probably do better than this (even an increase in average speed to 5.5 kts moves this to almost 180 miles per tank, and if you're closer to .5 gallons per hour at 5 knots, you're going to be closer to 250 miles per tank). As you point out, there are a lot of factors that can influence how far each tankful will get you, such as engine maintenance, bottom growth, prop fowling, waves, wind, and currents. That's why I suggest being conservative in your approach, especially until you figure out exactly how YOUR engine behaves.
1975 Albacore 15

The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
Brett1971 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett1971 View Post
Hi All,

I just inherited an '83 Allmand 31 from my uncle. He lived aboard her in Fl. I've never owned a sailboat before and have a couple of questions.

My boat has the Universal M25; do you know what approx range I can expect from a full tank? I know it depends on a number of different variables but is there a general rule of thumb to use? I really want to eventually sail her over to and around the Bahamas.

Also, any thoughts on replacing the diesel with an electric motor? I plan on installing a wind generator and solar panels soon and I know an electric motor would require a bigger battery bank, maybe some wiring upgrades, etc.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Brett

Hi Brett,

I have a 31' with the 5424 (basically the same motor). I have a 40 gallon tank, I cruise (3/4 power or so) at 5.75-6.25k (depending on current) at the rate of 1 gph. Do the math for where you want to go and what you want to do.

Unless you want a total electrical refit of the boat, I'd drop the "electric" idea, but that's just me.

How about some pics?

Dave
GOD, Family, career
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave_E For This Useful Post:
Brett1971 (02-18-2014)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.