Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Allmand
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013

minigran is on a distinguished road
Fuel usage under motor power

I'm about to do a Inter Coastal waterway trip, in 2 weeks, where I'll be under motor power for much of the trip. Can anyone give me an idea of the fuel per hour with the larger engine. The hull and prop will be clean for the trip.

my e mail is minigran@earthlink.net which I('ll be watching along with sailnet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2013

ScottyG24 is on a distinguished road
fuel usage

My guess knowing my M12 Universal Diesel uses 1/3 gal per hour is plan on 1/2 to 3/4 of gallon per hour
Old 09-11-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: fuel usage

Google is your friend.
You have a Universal 25, which is really a 21hp unless it's a new install after 1999.

There is a rule of thumb which is pretty simple, and accurate. Diesel's use 1 gallon per hour per 20 HP developed.

That' means at max RPM, you'll use 1 gph. Since that would blow your engine (it's not rated for continuous WOT) - call it 1/2 gallon a hour at 2500 rpm and you'll be right close.
Keeping a reasonable reserve on hand dictates never going below 1/4 tank, and carrying a 5 gallon jerry can as backup.
Old 09-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

What engine do you have? Chuck mentions the Universal 25, but my Allmand came with the Universal 5416. Here's what I posted in another thread:

Quote:
We did:

Rock Hall to Reedy Island: Approximately 53 nautical miles in 10.5 hours. That gave us an average speed of 5.04 knots. Converting that to statute miles, that’s 61 miles at an average of 5.8 MPH.

Reedy Island to Cape May: Approximately 49 nautical miles in about 9 hours. That gave us an average speed of 5.4 knots. Converting that to statute miles, that’s 56.39 miles at an average of 6.25 MPH

Cape May to Forked River: Approximately 76 nautical miles in about 13.5 hours. That gave us an average speed of 5.63 knots. Converting that to statute miles, that’s 87.45 miles at an average of 6.47 MPH.

What I find especially amazing is that on the last day, we were fighting the outgoing tide for the first two to three hours of our trip from Atlantic City to Forked River. You could easily see the current eddying around the pilings. Yet we still managed to make that our fastest day.

I topped off the fuel tank before we left the first day. When we got to Cape May at the end of the 2nd day, we topped off again. It took approx. 15 gallons to top us off that time. I haven't purchased any more fuel since then. We motored Day 1, motored with a little motor-sailing on Day 2, and motor-sailed almost entirely during Day 3. We had the throttle at full for most of the trip after Day 1, and even during Day 1 after about the first half of the day we were at or near full throttle.
So, we used 15 gallons over approximately 19.5 hours, and covered about 102 nautical miles (117 statute miles). That works out to 0.77 gallons per hour or about 6.8 nautical miles per gallon, or 7.8 MPG.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 09-11-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2013

minigran is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jim; The boat is being hauled out Wednesday and if all is ok with the survey I'll close the deal on the boat. The motor is listed as a M30 Universal which is 24 HP @ 2800.

I'll scrape the bottom and prop when the boat is out so I get the best miles per gallon I can during the trip. Sneeds Ferry NC to Washington , NC, 120 miles and I'm planning on 3 days power sailing. I have a Clipper 30 with a 10hp gas so this is my first venture in a larger sailboat with a Diesel engine. I plan on doing an oil change and all the filters before I start and also have a full tank of fuel. If you can e mail picture of your Allmand 31 send them to minigran@earthlink.net
Old 09-13-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Mini, I need to take new pictures of my boat. She was a bankruptcy asset, and was in HORRIBLE shape when I found her. She looks much better now, but still needs work. I have a few pics here in my gallery.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-26-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I recently completed 10 hours cruising in my Bristol 31.1, with the Universal 5424 (pretty much the same engine as the M30)

I ran at 2000 rpm, at about 2/3 throttle, which gives about 6 kts.

Fuel consumption was 0.8 gals/hr, and this equates to about 7.5 nautical mpg. I think I would plan for 1 gal/hr to be on the safe side.

5 gal containers are inexpensive and you could easily carry 2 or 4 of them.

If you have a 20 gal tank, keep a 1/3 reserve, plan on 1 gal/hr, and motor at 6 kts, your range is about 84 miles.

Last edited by MarkSF; 09-26-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

I have the same motor as MarkSF, same fuel usage. Good plant.

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 09-29-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

When I got the boat, the hour meter had broken at 3800 hours. I've put in a new meter, and added 200 more. So that's 4000 hours minimum, plus the unaccounted for ones! So it's hard to criticize Kutota for their efforts. The engine seems to be going strong, no signs of wear.

Universal did undersize the heat exchanger - so effectively it's a 16hp engine, capable of a 5 minute burst at 24hp, before the engine overheats. One day I'll get around to putting the bigger heat exchanger in.