SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Allmand (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/allmand/)
-   -   De-Masting (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/allmand/103653-de-masting.html)

Dave_E 09-13-2013 09:45 AM

Un-Stepping the mast?

Hi Allmand Owners,

Has anyone had their mast off? That is the next serious thing I must do with Traveler. The mast head sheaves are stuck, some corrosion going on etc.. Looking for all the tips I can get.

Dave

jimgo 09-13-2013 10:01 AM

Re: De-Masting

Dave,
Are you going to do it yourself, or have a yard do it?

Dave_E 09-13-2013 10:39 AM

Boat will stay in the water, yard will man the boom truck, myself and an able body will be on the boat.

Faster 09-13-2013 01:38 PM

Deck stepped or keel stepped? Makes a difference in how much you need to lift the mast.

Deck stepped, just a couple of inches and you can lay it down again.. keel stepped you need to lift cleanly straight up 5-6 feet or so, before you can lay the mast down.

It's fairly straightforward, loosen the rigging, disconnect any electricals, have the cotter pins out except the last few, support the mast with the crane and remove the remaing stays, bringing them to the mast and securing them there. Lift the mast by a well balanced point (typically under the spreaders for a single spreader deck stepped mast - watch for light fixtures etc) If your lift point is close to the balance point it's easy to control the ends.

Keep an eye out for the crane hook/ball against the mast (pad it with carpet etc) and be wary of damaging your windex/windvanes (remove ahead of time to be sure). Extra lines/halyards at either end will help you control the mast if you're doing some of this in the air.

Good luck.

miatapaul 09-13-2013 02:12 PM

Another way of doing it:

Mast Raising From The Bridge? | TownDock.net, Oriental NC

Not that I would recommend it! Oh and you want to say un-stepping the mast, as de-masting is normally a phrase reserved for an unintentional incident! If you are having the yard do it it should not be a big deal as they have likely done it a few times. I like to supervise any work as they seem to take more care when they know you are around, but I don't interfere with there work. If you are at a yacht club and using there equipment, you might want to make sure you round up a few experienced folks to help. With the latter situation having some cold beer as post celebration is often a good way to make sure someone is around next time!

Dave_E 09-13-2013 02:14 PM

Unstepping it is, thanks!

chucklesR 09-13-2013 02:28 PM

Don't forget to label the wires, especially if you have to cut them.
I prefer a terminal block as a connection point, sometimes that doesn't work (VHF, radar).

davidpm 09-13-2013 03:25 PM

While you have the mast down is a good time to see if the wires inside are running free or in a plastic pipe.
If they are free they will make a lot of noise when you are anchored out.
Easy to fix when the mast is down.

Also check the wires. It is a good time to replace them.

Practice the phrase. "While we are at it"

hellosailor 09-13-2013 03:28 PM

While we are at it...

Yes, a good time to grease any bulb sockets and replace any bulbs. And replace the VHF antenna and cable if it is old or in any way suspect, etc.