Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements, Suggestions Box and Site Issues
 Not a Member? 

Announcements, Suggestions Box and Site Issues Forum tech support line. Problems with the site to report can be posted here.

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Signatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
My point is that those of us that just want a place to talk about sailing are subject to the overflow of uncivil behavior and flat-out bile into the sailing areas of SailNet. There are two components: 1. unfortunate relationships develop in the OT areas that cause friction in the sailing discussions and 2. patterns of behavior develop in the OT areas that are "acceptable" there that appear in the sailing areas.

My opinion is that there are plenty of places to talk about what shows up in OT. A sailing board doesn't need to provide resources to support it. Go somewhere else.
SVA, could you please show me examples to back up the assertions you make in this post?

I post in off-topic. I post in off-topic a lot. Because I post in off-topic, I must be one of those you paint with your broad brush as "uncivil" and full of "flat-out bile."

I find that characterization to be insulting and demeaning.

Note that the person in this conversation who is throwing around insults is the guy who deplores uncivil behaviour and wants it kept out of the sailing forums.

Please post examples to back your assertions, or, if and when you are unable to do so apologize to those of us you have inaccurately demeaned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 11-02-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Hmmmmmm,

this is looking more and more like it should be a true ignore thread! the political pundits with both sides of the argument have shown up out side the political spectrum of the forum! Oh, and some are even arguing out of BOTH sides of there mouths.....hmmmmmm.......
Old 11-02-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
SVA, could you please show me examples to back up the assertions you make in this post?
No. First because I have better things to do and second because I would be responding to baiting.

Quote:
I post in off-topic. I post in off-topic a lot. Because I post in off-topic, I must be one of those you paint with your broad brush as "uncivil" and "full of flat-out bile."
Where you post is your business. I've had, in appropriate times and places, very civil discussions about politics. Participation in SailNet OT is not defacto proof to me of a lack of civility. I'm not the arbiter of civility anyway.

I don't know anything about you. Until you said so in this thread I didn't know you were a participant in OT. I do recall that you make interesting and substantive contributions to sailing threads. I observe that sometimes you are a party to the occasional emotional (I think) interchange well within the range of the socially acceptable. Sometimes I disagree with you on technical issues but that isn't relevant at all. That's all I think I know. You aren't on my ignore list. *grin*

I've used 'uncivil' but not 'full of flat-out bile' to my recollection, certainly not recently. I have probably used the word 'bile' for which I apologized when it was pointed out to me that what I intended as a global description was taken as personal.

Quote:
I find that characterization to be insulting and demeaning.
There is no characterization. I did not make any comment about everyone who participates in OT. What I said is that there is an apparent (because I have better things to do than keep score) correlation between OT and a lack of civility in the sailing threads. Some of the people that make the most significant contributions to the sailing threads were starting to drift away. The moderators have made their own assessment and have taken some steps.

If you think I'm the only person complaining you should ask the moderators. Some people don't complain; they just fade away. How is that good for SailNet?

Quote:
Note that the person in this conversation who is throwing around insults is the guy who deplores uncivil behaviour and wants it kept out of the sailing forums.
I'm working hard to avoid insults. When there is a sociological problem it can be challenging to address the issues without backlash. So be it. OT is not good for SailNet. Those political et al discussions can happen in other venues and SailNet will be better off for it.

You feel differently. You have every bit as much right to your opinion as I have to mine. Neither of us is in a decision-making position on SailNet. Attacking me personally for my opinion that OT at large isn't good for SailNet doesn't make a good case for OT.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

So, in short, you have no example at hand of OT "bile" spilling over into the rest of the site, and no apology is forthcoming. Got it.

Old 11-02-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Ausp - have you noticed that the PRWG threads are now gone from sight? You have to request a password or something to get into them. So I'm not sure I see how a completely hidden political section is bad for SN. Those guys like it. Let 'em keep it. No biggie.

I do agree with you, though, that sometimes those dudes bring their animosity out into the sailing threads...and if you didn't know the history you'd wonder what the hell they were so uptight about.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

I'm curious bl. What happened to your post that quoted my post #43?

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 11-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
I'm curious bl. What happened to your post that quoted my post #43?
Must have been deleted by the mods so that SVAusp wouldn't have a good example.
smackdaddy likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-19-2014

desert rat is on a distinguished road

Sailors are in general inapropriatly frank. If you don't like frank tel him so and he will tell you where to go.
Old 01-19-2014

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Have you lost your fuzzy ass mind?

John, by the way, thinks this dragon vs. wombat interchange is cute. I may just turn Lysistrata on him if he doesn't shape up and take my side regardless.
Hmmm...dragons vs. wombats:

DRFerron, Faster and bljones like this.
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Old 01-19-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Ausp - have you noticed that the PRWG threads are now gone from sight?
I hadn't noticed until you mentioned this. All the Puerto Rican Wiccan Gay threads are gone!

Doesn't that violate a whole mess of anti-discrimination laws?