SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Announcements and Suggestions Box (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/)
-   -   How about an 'Un-Like' button... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/102125-how-about-un-like-button.html)

aa3jy 08-04-2013 04:57 PM

How about an 'Un-Like' button...

..with an alarm to any moderator to wake up and take notice...;);)

DRFerron 08-04-2013 05:05 PM

Re: How about an 'Un-Like' button...

That's what the Report Post button (red triangle with the exclamation point) is for. Moderators receive an email that contains whatever message you add.

gamayun 08-04-2013 06:07 PM

A silly question for DR and apologies for aa3jy for hijacking your post, but what does 'Rep Power' mean in the heading of everyone's profile? I searched to see if it is defined somewhere, but of course, every single SN post comes up instead...

DRFerron 08-04-2013 06:28 PM

Rep Power is no longer used. It was replaced by the "Like" button but never removed. Mine advances once for every year I've been a member. Or something like that. Anyway, it can be ignored.

DRFerron 08-04-2013 06:42 PM

aa3jy, in answer to your reported post email (obviously testing my earlier response), the moderators cannot be everywhere at once. We all have day jobs and other obligations and don't sit logged into the site 24/7. Unless a post is reported, we may or may not be aware of a problem with any specific thread. I think saying that it is "poor moderation" is a little unfair. I may be wrong, because I was doing some coastal cruising for the last week and had limited access to email, but in reviewing my email once I returned, yours was the first "reported post" for the thread that you reported, thus, it may not have been on any moderator's radar.

fryewe 08-04-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 1068889)
...I was doing some coastal cruising for the last week and had limited access to email...

The only thing we DON'T want done in moderation. :)

glymroff 08-08-2013 08:02 PM

I almost posted the exact same question. I think an un-like button would be awesome. I think it doesn't have to have anything to do with moderation (although could be a metric that was used by moderators). It is just a way for expressing your dis-like of a particular comment, without necessarily getting involved in the particular thread.

JMHO

svHyLyte 08-08-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glymroff (Post 1071206)
I almost posted the exact same question. I think an un-like button would be awesome. I think it doesn't have to have anything to do with moderation (although could be a metric that was used by moderators). It is just a way for expressing your dis-like of a particular comment, without necessarily getting involved in the particular thread.

JMHO

Unlike is rather strong. I often disagree with posts but with very few exceptions do not feel "Dislike" (or "Unlike") for the poster. Perhaps a "Disagree" or "Objection" button might work (although some of the more cantankerous might find a high "Disliked" count a Badge of Merit, eh?).

glymroff 08-09-2013 09:12 AM

yes, 'disagree' would maybe be a gentler slap :-).

I only suggest the 'un-like' to give opposing symetry to the 'like' button.

I guess it's a slippery slope, 'like', 'un-like', 'disagree', 'ok-with', 'sort-of-agree'...

to many button choices... or maybe a radio button with 1-5 (disagree strongly, disagree, don't care, agree, agree strongly). you see that on alot of survey forms.

aa3jy 08-09-2013 11:25 AM

..or this:D

Urban Dictionary: Italian Victory Salute