Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Signatures

Up front I want to say I am a geezer and steeped in old thoughts. I am from the Vietnam era and served in the military, and that has shaped many of my views of the world.

My view of this, and ALL other boards that I read and/or post on, is that they are very much like a local pub or restaurant that I might stop by and sit down in.

Those pubs, greasy spoons, and restaurants ALL have a sign that states something to the effect that they can refuse service to any one at any time. It's not that they do not want people there, it's that they want the people who are there to be comfortable. That every one there respects the other people.

I believe that every one can have there own opinion, and that they can stand on the corner and spread that word as far and wide as they please. BUT, they can not enter the pub, stand on the bar and disgorge verbal diarrhea. Just as if some one is a guest on my boat, and starts to tell me what for, they are politely asked to depart. And exactly like I told each of my son's, “when in my house, you follow the rules, when I am in your house I will follow your rules”. And I have done just that when visiting my son's homes.

On another board, I tried to post a discount code so members could purchase one of our videos for less than full price. I was warned that I was not allowed to advertise on the board and that making/selling cruising DVDs was NOT sailing related. I received a second warning when I posted a note about my son's murder and told that was 2 of 3 warnings. I never got the 3ed as I NEVER go back there!

I think this board is very liberal as I see direct areas for discussing things other than sailing/boating stuff. I see no problem keeping it civil for ALL members. We all have the option to not stop by, just like I may not go to that restaurant that serves food I don't like.

My nickel's worth. (used to be 2 cents)

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
I see where you all are trying to do the right thing even though it is an attempt at being politically correct. BUT once this process begins where does it end and who decides what is correct and what is not? I have an American flag, in essence THAT is a political statement no? Will it be removed at one point soon? Who decides? Where is the line? Does it move with a whim or climate? This smells bad gentleman, very bad. Who watches the watchers?

Jerry
The flag is a location/nationality indicator that shows up if you take the time to designate your country (actually defaults to US, IIRC) Leave the country blank and there's no flag. It's not something that the user can otherwise choose, like sigs and avatars.

As to the rest, time will tell, in the meantime I guess you'll have trust us..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-17-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"The flag is a "
Actually, not always. My avatar happens to be a politically loaded flag.

But I'm confused now. Utter abominations are a problem, but udders and otters wouldn't be? (WEG)
Old 10-17-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

That there beezer feller has stuff bout freedom and truth in his sig. Needs eliminatin
Old 10-17-2013
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

comply,or be silenced.
Old 10-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
But I'm confused now. Utter abominations are a problem, but udders and otters wouldn't be? (WEG)
.. well, I'm pretty sure any udder abominations would be out!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

While no one pays to get in the door, SN is a private institution, not public. Rules are made by the people writing the checks. If you don't like it, go out in public and discuss anything you choose. That's where free speech applies.

I applaud SN for taking a slightly tougher stance on OT posting. I agree, however, that there should be a rubber room for some to take their tantrums or bottled up frustrations on non-sailing issues, occasionally. After a trip or two there in the early days, I avoid it now. I've always found it to be a head- scratcher that there are members who have substantially more posts in OT than in sailing forums. Why wouldn't they just join a political forum?
Faster likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-18-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I agree, however, that there should be a rubber room for some to take their tantrums or bottled up frustrations on non-sailing issues, occasionally.
I don't agree. The behavior patters from the tantrums and frustrations flop over into the sailing discussions and make it unpleasant for everyone else. This is analogous to being allowed to yell "fire" on one side of a movie theater and not the other.

I suggest that the increase in OT posts (up from ~10% of total last year to ~20% or more recently) is an indication that folks that want to talk about sailing are going elsewhere because of the behaviors that OT encourages bleeding over into the sailing discussions.

You can certainly bookmark a link like http://www.sailnet.com/forums/search...7,65&do=getnew to get only the new sailing discussions, but the behaviors don't stay in OT - they crop up in the sailing areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've always found it to be a head- scratcher that there are members who have substantially more posts in OT than in sailing forums. Why wouldn't they just join a political forum?
Here I agree with you. Take it somewhere else.

If the numbers I see are indicative then Sailnet risks BECOMING a political forum, as there won't be anything else left.
T37Chef likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 10-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I don't agree. The behavior patters from the tantrums and frustrations flop over into the sailing discussions and make it unpleasant for everyone else......
I get your point, which is why I said.... occasionally. Having an infrequent relief valve is necessary for some and if used only on occasion, I would think it less likely to spill over into sailing forums. Clearly, those that have an axe to grind are in the sewer religiously. There is also new policy for a password to PRWG, so the mods can prevent users from accessing it at all, if they are abusing the membership. Also a great policy.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-18-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I've always found it to be a head- scratcher that there are members who have substantially more posts in OT than in sailing forums. Why wouldn't they just join a political forum?
For one thing, the PWRG section has more back and forth than other sections and the discussions tend to run longer.

Anybody that enjoys the Song Chain, for instance, can easily accumulate hundreds of Off Topic posts, while not doing anything contentious. Just as someone could easily accumulate them in the Interesting Sailboats thread, which is Sailing Related.

Many call the PWRG the "Sewer", which isn't surprising, since they treat it like one. Rules should not be required for adults to act adult.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog