Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Signatures

Control in all forms is important. If you don't control people they will run a muck!
Many Conversations have been ruined over the one person with passion speaking up or out, Then a second person challenging them on topic.
I think it will do some good around here to put a leash on some of the verbal jousting. But on the other hand. I kind of like some of it. I commonly engage in the topics. But I do read them and laugh my but off at times.
Bravo Mod's
There is a place for that.
Cheers, Curt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

Definitely cannot have any passion on a subject. Control is the answer

Jerry
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

This thread and the one establishing a password for the PRWG are strongly related so I'll comment on both here:

I can think of no thread in the past few months with more acrimony than rockdawg's TRANSPAC thread. But that thread was a bit of an out-lier.

That said we all know that the PRWG threads routinely get a little boisterous. So I can see how the mods may think there's a need to take the curtain down from around the activities in the back room and put up a proper door and wall.

I sauntered into the PRWG threads a bit in my early days of cruising around SN and was turned off by some of the seemingly snide and nasty comments made by a few posters. A group of "usual suspects" generated most of the clatter. After that early peek I mostly avoided PRWG for a while.

A few months ago I stuck my head behind the curtain and had the threat of the ban-hammer raised a couple of times because I stuck my nose into the discussion on behalf of someone I thought was being unfairly belittled and I called a couple of guys a playground name.

In the past few months I've had a bit more time (my boat restoration project being "done" - HA!) and started participating a bit more. In the relatively short time I have done that I've gained a new appreciation for some of these "usual suspects" and am fascinated by some of the arguments and how insightful some of the posts are on both sides of an argument.

I've come to believe that a lot of the boisterousness is in good fun. I know I have had some fun with it.

I think (and I haven't done a detailed check on this) that most of the regulars on PRWG are past the halfway point on life's voyage and need a bit of mental of stimulation beyond what one can get watching "Modern Family" and "Survivor" when they aren't trimming the jib or re-packing the shaft and look forward to the banter. As for me - I know I find myself checking for responses to my posts a bit more frequently lately (and a little bit smugly enjoying the "likes") as I have gotten to "know" the regulars a little better. And I figure if a bit of mental stimulation by argument on SN can help me (us?) ward off dementia for a while beyond when it would otherwise get us -- what can it hurt to have frequent boisterous chats in the fashion of "Grumpy Old Men"?

It's not surprising to me that some who go behind the curtain have taken advantage of the opportunity to use signature lines to further "persuade" (stick a sharp stick in the eye of) their "adversaries" on the topics of discussions behind the curtain. And it's not surprising to me that some don't like the smell of the cigar smoke and loud voices (PWRG topics) coming from behind the curtain because they are not so familiar with the "family" of loudmouths that haunt there. But I think there's plenty of room to have any discussion we want to have in PRWG so there's no reason the curtain can't be taken down and a proper door and wall with a little sound-abating insulation installed.

Of course I may be wrong...but I am certain that if someone who often lurks behind the curtain thinks I am; I will hear about it.
bljones likes this.
Old 10-19-2013
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

I agree with you. however have you been into the steel boats thread lately? I'm not pointing fingers but I think the off-topic threads are not the only ones were gets loud and boisterous.

Jerry
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
I agree with you. however have you been into the steel boats thread lately? I'm not pointing fingers but I think the off-topic threads are not the only ones were gets loud and boisterous.

Jerry
I'm not going in there...I hate rust!!!
jerryrlitton likes this.
Old 10-20-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

If one is insulted by the line of "best looking male mod" can that be removed too!?!?!?!?!???

LOLOL

I do agree with the political stuff out of sigs etc. The two forums I mod on, we keep political religion, guns etc out of ALL forums, including the one with an off topic per say.

Marty

fuzzy is a much better looking mod! That one female mod, beats them all hands and feet down! and whatever else down and up one wishes to speak of!
Old 10-20-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Other than to do a bit of preening I should probably stay out of this.

Hey little dragon ..... come sit on grandpa wombats knee .....

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-20-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Other than to do a bit of preening I should probably stay out of this.

Hey little dragon ..... come sit on grandpa wombats knee .....
Have you lost your fuzzy ass mind?

John, by the way, thinks this dragon vs. wombat interchange is cute. I may just turn Lysistrata on him if he doesn't shape up and take my side regardless.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-20-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
...That one female mod, beats them all hands and feet down! and whatever else down and up one wishes to speak of!
NOW we're talkin'!

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-21-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

All of this strikes my chuckle bone and tickles my noggin.

Back when, Alex started Anything-Sailing because he got tired of being censored here - both for anti-vendor rants and for his occasional over the top OT posts and picture edits.

He wanted a forum he could be himself in, so he made one.
I was asked to moderate it a couple months after it started. Oh, wow. A no rules OT side and a 'family friendly' sailing side with kids and such on it.

It took about 6 months to shut down the political side, 6 more to make the rest of OT a ghost town and then it drifted along slowly for another year before even I got fed up with some of the unfiltered comments in the sailing side and left the forum (about a year ago) and came back here.

Since coming back here I've not posted in OT - of any flavor, politics, comedy etc.

I changed my signature from a A. Lincoln quote to something I made up a while back. I like it better that way.

Next change - member status, i can see it coming as some folks have already learned how to make a statement in there. Then locations will need monitoring.
I like it better my way - just ban them, this is a sailing forum.