Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Signatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
All of this strikes my chuckle bone and tickles my noggin.

Back when, Alex started Anything-Sailing because he got tired of being censored here - both for anti-vendor rants and for his occasional over the top OT posts and picture edits.

He wanted a forum he could be himself in, so he made one.
I was asked to moderate it a couple months after it started. Oh, wow. A no rules OT side and a 'family friendly' sailing side with kids and such on it.

It took about 6 months to shut down the political side, 6 more to make the rest of OT a ghost town and then it drifted along slowly for another year before even I got fed up with some of the unfiltered comments in the sailing side and left the forum (about a year ago) and came back here.

I like it better my way - just ban them, this is a sailing forum.
Being one of the early adopters of AS, it wasn't the structure of that forum that did it in - or even the politics. It was the attitude of the people - and specifically the owner. It was always a "my way or the highway" environment. Those don't work.

Alex predicted doom and gloom for Sailnet for years - eventually saying I had "ruined the place" ("Smacknet"/"Squirrelnet" anyone?) and that it would die a slow death because the "valuable people" had left. Well, Sailnet is doing great. AS is gone. And I had very little to do with either.

All that to say, I've always loved SN precisely because of the way its moderated. The moderation is fair. The motives are good. The members are good. What's not to like?

I've never had a problem with PRWG...I almost never posted there. I agree that those guys sometimes don't know how to leave the knives at the door when they come into the sailing threads - but they're usually kept in check fairly well.

In any case, I support whatever the mods here think is best. I trust them.
chucklesR likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-21-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I concur smacky, but have to say it was all your fault.

When you forced Alex to force me to ban you by disagreeing with him ( ) you caused AS to fail.
Old 10-21-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

When you forced Alex to force me to ban you by disagreeing with him ( ) you caused AS to fail.
Heh-heh. I'm drunk with my obvious power.

Old 10-24-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Thank you. Other than specifics relating to government and sailing, I think this a change for the better.
Old 10-24-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Well, I'm glad it wasn't my doing then. Alex couldn't stop insulting people and wasn't pulled up by the remaining mods - so I walked away and never looked back.

I did feel very sorry for CKG after all the work he'd put in..
Old 10-24-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Being one of the early adopters of AS, it wasn't the structure of that forum that did it in - or even the politics. It was the attitude of the people - and specifically the owner. It was always a "my way or the highway" environment. Those don't work.

Alex predicted doom and gloom for Sailnet for years - eventually saying I had "ruined the place" ("Smacknet"/"Squirrelnet" anyone?) and that it would die a slow death because the "valuable people" had left. Well, Sailnet is doing great. AS is gone. And I had very little to do with either.

All that to say, I've always loved SN precisely because of the way its moderated. The moderation is fair. The motives are good. The members are good. What's not to like?

I've never had a problem with PRWG...I almost never posted there. I agree that those guys sometimes don't know how to leave the knives at the door when they come into the sailing threads - but they're usually kept in check fairly well.

In any case, I support whatever the mods here think is best. I trust them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
Well, I'm glad it wasn't my doing then. Alex couldn't stop insulting people and wasn't pulled up by the remaining mods - so I walked away and never looked back.

Yea, AS has become a bit of a ghost town, but the activity that is over there now is relatively on topic. It was at one point a good community. I think as Alex got more serious about his racing is when it seemed to take a turn. He seemed to get all serious about himself and seemed to loose his sense of humor. I still check on posts over there as there is some knowledge and the lower post count is actually good, as many posts are actually about sailboats and sailing.

Now his "Photoshopping" is funny, but I guess some folks have thin skin, and he had a very good point about some of the on topic censorship going on around here and that was wrong. But I understand why it was done. Funny thing is his site allowed it and they did not get sued, and I don't think they ever got any threats of it. Well perhaps about the Ronca, but in the end it was Ronca that caved.

I am a member of several different forums on different subjects and for me all of them that have a large off topic section take a turn for the worse and I think it was the off topic that did in AS. It just creates acrimony among the members. It is good for post counts and brings in new members. The problem is a lot of those members are not really on the site for the sailing. I don't want to know someone's political or religious beliefs as it is unimportant to me, if they have knowledge to share.
Old 10-24-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Funny how most people don't want to fit in the nicely shaped boxes other people make for them.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-24-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
+1. That part really sucks.

I hope he pops in around here more. He's a good guy.

Old 10-24-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Never understood the need for Off Topic threads in the first place.

This is a far more civilized forum than SA thanks to the mods! I'll defer to them.
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 10-24-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

There's "Off Topic" and there is "Off Topic - PWGR" when the later was added is when I think SN goofed.
SVAuspicious likes this.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.