Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Signatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
All of this strikes my chuckle bone and tickles my noggin.Back when, Alex started Anything-Sailing because he got tired of being censored here - both for anti-vendor rants and for his occasional over the top OT posts and picture edits. He wanted a forum he could be himself in, so he made one. I was asked to moderate it a couple months after it started. Oh, wow. A no rules OT side and a 'family friendly' sailing side with kids and such on it.It took about 6 months to shut down the political side, 6 more to make the rest of OT a ghost town and then it drifted along slowly for another year before even I got fed up with some of the unfiltered comments in the sailing side and left the forum (about a year ago) and came back here. Since coming back here I've not posted in OT - of any flavor, politics, comedy etc. I changed my signature from a A. Lincoln quote to something I made up a while back. I like it better that way. Next change - member status, i can see it coming as some folks have already learned how to make a statement in there. Then locations will need monitoring.
I like it better my way - just ban them, this is a sailing forum.
Chuckles, you will always be in my goodbooks, if only cos compared to that mangey rat you hide behind I am positively svelt. (well at least the thing I hide behind is.)

I'm another one who regrets the fate of A-S. I always liked Alex and when I visted Portugal the hospitality shown by Alex and family was quite remarkable. To boot I think I learnt more in one afternoon sailing with the man than I'd learnt in the previous decade. In cruising mode that boat was gobsmackingly rapid. I'd hate to think what shes like in full tilt stripped out racer mode.

That said, he did seem to take a turn against cruising sailors and that I'm sure drove people away. Sadly some of those were ex SailNutters who didn't end up back here which is a shame. Of course Alex is unlikely, 99.999% unlikely I'd say, to ever return here but he'd be more than welcome if he did.

As regards legal ramifications re slagging off of vendors .... A-S never made enough of an impact to attract the attention of the legal vultures. SailNet did and as Sailing Anarchy seems to finding out to their cost the Interweb is not a de militarised zone legally speaking. Specifically in regard to the one major brouhaha, something to do with Tartan if memory serves , I most certainly disagreed with the SailNet Admin stance but, and it is a very big but, I do understand why they caved.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 10-24-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

So wombats have very big @sses?
I'm not up on marsupial anatomy. Thanks
Old 10-24-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

I've yet to understand the reasoning that PWRG is a license to act like an adolescent. Nor why anyone needs to speak with less civility there than they would in any other forum.
SVAuspicious likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Without keeping really close track, it seems that OT posts are down from almost 20% to below 5% and that civility in the on-topic areas has increased dramatically. Please keep it up.
ottos likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 11-01-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

While I have a reference to God in my signature, I am an agnostic.

I would would agree that the light hand of the mods makes this a great site.

I do participate in the PRWG topics having spent the better part of my life teaching political theory and practice, economic theory and practice and environmental issues.

I contribute to and learn from sailing topics as much as possible.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 11-02-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Without keeping really close track, it seems that OT posts are down from almost 20% to below 5% and that civility in the on-topic areas has increased dramatically. Please keep it up.
Wow, I wish I had so little else going on in my life that I could track activity in sub-forums in which I profess to have no interest, and further be able to quantify civility in other forums in which I offer little input.

Y'know without keeping real close track and all.

****, just ban me now. I won't be able to meet the quotas.

Old 11-02-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Since the post this was in response to has disappeared, please ignore it.

Which is in no way responsive to the post you quote, but certainly full of enough rancor to please any discriminating sadist. Must be a burden, going through life knowing you're so much better than so many other people, that you find ridicule and denigration your only available form of response to them.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Last edited by PBzeer; 11-02-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2013
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Wow, I wish I had so little else going on in my life that I could track activity in sub-forums in which I profess to have no interest, and further be able to quantify civility in other forums in which I offer little input.
I have a bookmark to New posts.

Code:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/search.php?exclude=51,52&do=getnew
Then I click on New Posts - no politics/off-topic. The difference in total new posts is a quantitative indication of the amount of clearly non-sailing content.

I'm not lurking and I'm not counting heads. The only people I know that post in Pol/Rel/Off-topic are those who have announced it in the sailing fora.

That's the extent of my time.

I think SailNet should delete all the off-topic fora. I think it would be better for SailNet. The recent changes here are a positive step. They may well be enough. I hope so. Sailing traffic is up and OT is down. How can that be bad?

For those who are interested I recently figured out that this link goes directly to New Topics - No Politics/Off-Topic:

Code:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/search.php?exclude=51,52,177,65&do=getnew

Old 11-02-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

You only have to spend a little time in the political forums to discover:

1. Many people have very different opinions on the same subject.

2. Most are one hundred per cent sure they are right.

3. Most are really sure they can change the opinion of the people who disagree with them if they:
a. tell them over and over why they are wrong to have a different opinion.
b. tell them they have their facts wrong
c. tell them they are stupid nincompoops.

4. That none of the above techniques actually work

Once you figure out that that is pretty much all that is going on over there, it's easy to stay away.
oysterman23 and Lou452 like this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 11-02-2013
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Once you figure out that that is pretty much all that is going on over there, it's easy to stay away.
My point is that those of us that just want a place to talk about sailing are subject to the overflow of uncivil behavior and flat-out bile into the sailing areas of SailNet. There are two components: 1. unfortunate relationships develop in the OT areas that cause friction in the sailing discussions and 2. patterns of behavior develop in the OT areas that are "acceptable" there that appear in the sailing areas.

My opinion is that there are plenty of places to talk about what shows up in OT. A sailing board doesn't need to provide resources to support it. Go somewhere else.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.