Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sailnet has new owners

MP, I think they have lifted the ban, but it is a little like removing the fences around Chernobyl- beyond the cruiosity factor and a unique snapshot of how things were 2 decades ago, is there really anything there?
miatapaul likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Welcome new owners. Try not to poke the natives, they get jolly upset
Lou452 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Great stuff. I used to own a forum with 100k+ members. This thread is perfect training for the new owners!

Three boys, 200 sq ft of fiberglass, tropical beaches
www.sailingwithkids.net

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 12-07-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I don't do SSCA Dave. Did so a few years back but found the place too UScentric. I've been thinking of rejoining to see how things have changed. I must admit there were some pretty useful things in the archives.
Understood Andrew.

We are doing much better at international, although even some of that is Americans wandering around the globe. Still, our non-US citizen membership is way up. It has been a serious effort on our part. A number of Gams in the Pacific and we're working on one in the Canaries.

You don't have to be an SSCA member to participate in the SSCA Forum. Not much socializing but a lot of technical expertise from those who have "been there, done that." SSCA Forum ? Index page
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 12-07-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Welcome new owners.

I have a feature request, it is in the signature of this post, but it is low priority compared to most of the items on admin1's to do list.

I did notice this evening that the forums are suddenly doing some kind of auto-correction, changing the capitalization of things I write, and things I quote, etc, I do hope that isn't going to be permanent.

Please support my
Old 12-07-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I won't belabor the point but I do think the off-topic sessions are poisonous. Brian, Jeff H, and Donna have heard chapter and verse on my opinion so I won't repeat myself here.
If the comment about poisonous off-topic conversations is about debates in the PRWG (Politics/Religion/War/Government) sub-forum then I respectfully disagree. To be offended by anything posted in that forum you have to click "Off Topic", then click "PRWG", and then find out that you need a password, then seek out said password in the sticky post in the "Off Topic" forum, and then go back to PRWG and enter the password. I don't think something that requires so much effort is going to accidentally offend anyone, and if they are going to that much trouble to participate in PRWG then they probably want to be there.

I participate in the PRWG debates and there are only about 10 people who are active in that sub-forum, I could list them all because we argue with each other so much, and I just can't imagine this is a problem for the rest of Sailnet. Just let us argue amongst ourselves, we aren't bothering anybody, and everyone seems able to keep the debates in PRWG and not bring them out into the rest of the forums.

The real trouble usually happens when people in the sailing forums who don't participate in PRWG start talking about politics in a sailing related thread, and then the mods get involved, and if the thread is too far off topic they move it. DRF, tdw, and others have done this many times, and I know that a number of people in PRWG appreciate this because it keeps a clear boundary between sailing posts and off topic posts that keeps us good with the mods.
bljones, avenger79 and jimgo like this.

Please support my
Old 12-07-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Wind..... I don't think SV is disputing the segregation of PWRG. However, more than once has the vitriol from those "arguments" spilled over into the sailing forums. A poster makes a subtle point in a sailing forum or even an inappropriate one that would easily ignored and the rest of us are surprised to see another jump all over them. It turns out to be in context only because of their previously opposed PRWG views elsewhere.

That said, the argument over whether we should or shouldn't have the sub-forum is as irreconcilable as what's discussed there.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-07-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Hi Wind Magic,

I don't participate in pol/rel/whatever. What I have seen in the past is that behaviors that are acceptable in PRWG flow into the sailing areas of SailNet. It is the general behaviors, not the fenced off topics, I think are objectionable.

Further, for a long time, PRWG posts were a growing portion of the total posts. It's easy to see from Google Analytics or even just comparing the total new posts to those with no politics/off-topic. Don't you imagine advertisers are smart enough to be able to tell the difference between their target markets and and grossly off-topic discussions? Don't you think they might feel deceived (and take their advertising elsewhere) if all that OT mess is counted in the presentation from SN?

So the poison I reference is two-fold: 1. the poor behavior of those (in whatever numbers they may be - I defer to you on that) in OT outside of OT, and 2. the dilution of total sailing discussion with OT arguments.

Even if your number of 10 people is correct that does not minimize the effect. There are second and third tiers of people. The same thing applies on-topic. Some folks draw an audience who may participate or just read. Regardless they are traffic drivers. W. Edwards Deming made the point that about the square root of the total population of a group drive behaviors within the group. I suggest that the overflow of behavior from OT here on SN drives away the people who otherwise pull people to SN. Would you like examples of where that has happened elsewhere? It is really simple - well-behaved people avoid environments populated by poorly behaved people.

So it all has nothing to do with clicking links and passwords and everything to do with cultures.

The best thing SN could do, in my opinion, is to delete all the PRWG/OT sections and police the sailing areas to make it clear that those discussions aren't acceptable on SN. Obviously many people feel differently. Y'all have the right to your opinion and I have the right to mine.

So it isn't about offense at all. It is about culture and behavior.

PRWG has no value to SN, and no value to SailNetters. YMMV.

I didn't mean to beat this drum here again, but you asked. Some time ago I took my opinions off-line.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 12-07-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Welcome new owners.

I have a feature request, it is in the signature of this post, but it is low priority compared to most of the items on admin1's to do list.

I did notice this evening that the forums are suddenly doing some kind of auto-correction, changing the capitalization of things I write, and things I quote, etc, I do hope that isn't going to be permanent.
Wind Magic,

The company that purchased SailNet is Canadian. I noticed the corrections in words like "favor" vs. "favour." I suppose the U.S. members are getting a taste of what non-U.S. members have put up with all these years.

Not an issue with me. I put the pieces together when the announcement was made as the new "corrections" would have started about the time the site was handed over to the Canadians.

If, on the other hand, the issue you're encountering goes beyond that then there may be a problem that has to be reported.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Welcome new owners. ........
WM.. do you have particular examples of this happening? I've not seen it. Donna did you have to overwrite 'favor' or favour'?

EDIT.. no correction to the above line when posted...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)