Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2013
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailnet has new owners

I've seen it... I can't explain it..

In fact on the said forum.. I pointed this out and several of the 'friendly guys' defended the jerks by writing: "People post 30 posts and leave for many reason, the fact that some jerk argued with them before they left is just a coincidence."

As for suggesting you google before you ask a dumb question.... doesn't that suggest you just eliminate the need for forums. You could google "are pirate flags lame" and find as many hits as you find on SailNet, but for me the entertainment is in the discussion, not some blowhard with access to wiki answers..
smackdaddy and Lou452 like this.

Vector X + Y
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by faster View Post
wm.. Do you have particular examples of this happening? I've not seen it. Donna did you have to overwrite 'favor' or favour'?

Edit.. No correction to the above line when posted...
lol :d

testing 1 2 3

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post

testing 1 2 3
Note in the post above that what I actually typed was capital "L", followed by capital "O" followed by capital "L", space, colon ":", and then capital "D" which should have yielded "LOL ", instead of "lol :d".

I also typed "TESTING 1 2 3" instead of "testing 1 2 3".

Finally, the word "EDIT" in the quoted text became "Edit".

I'm not sure why it let me put "LOL" in the middle of text and not on a line by itself, or if it is the length of this post that is allowing it, or what, but it seems to work in this response to my own post.

This is either new behavior in the way the forum works, or it is something I haven't noticed in the past 4000+ posts I have made. I believe it is new behavior.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 12-07-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: sp
The Following User Says Thank You to wind_magic For This Useful Post:
Faster (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I've never agreed with this mentality. Newbs should always be welcome to ask any question they want. If the "sailing aficionados" don't want to answer it - fine. Who cares? It's not that hard to move on.

We were all newbs at one point. And many of us, like me, still are.
I still am too. I can answer some questions, but I also ask plenty of them.

I still search (on many forums) before asking each question and it irks me when someone asks a question that duplicates what is already a top 10 thread on the forum.

In the days of mailing lists it was basic etiquette to lurk on a list for at least a month before posting anything. I did that and longer on here and SA before ever posting. I would like if that was still the common etiquette and think that it results in higher quality forums, but don't think it will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27
Too many forums should be private yahoo groups --- making fun of others and bragging about how smart the 27 members are
I don't know if this was supposed to target Sailing Anarchy. I hope not, if you spend even 5 minutes over there you can see that it is a popular forum (lots of posters) and a good one with a low signal/noise ratio.
Old 12-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Note in the post above that what I actually typed was capital "L", followed by capital "O" followed by capital "L", space, colon ":", and then capital "D" which should have yielded "LOL ", instead of "lol :d".

I also typed "TESTING 1 2 3" instead of "testing 1 2 3".

Finally, the word "EDIT" in the quoted text became "Edit".

I'm not sure why it let me put "LOL" in the middle of text and not on a line by itself, or if it is the length of this post that is allowing it, or what, but it seems to work in this response to my own post.

This is either new behavior in the way the forum works, or it is something I haven't noticed in the past 4000+ posts I have made. I believe it is new behavior.
Thanks WM.. what's interesting about this is that when Donna quoted the same post of mine it showed up as I typed it. (btw the 'WM' was also decapitalized in your quote) So.... now I have to wonder if you've changed browsers, OSs, or some other such thing recently?

And here, trying your lines:

LOL
TESTING 123

They are coming through fine, and as expected for me..curious...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-07-2013
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post

I don't know if this was supposed to target Sailing Anarchy. I hope not, if you spend even 5 minutes over there you can see that it is a popular forum (lots of posters) and a good one with a low signal/noise ratio.

No.... a post above had a Bart Simpson chalkboard suggesting using google over asking your questions in a forum...

Vector X + Y

Last edited by Faster; 12-07-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by faster View Post
thanks wm.. What's interesting about this is that when donna quoted the same post of mine it showed up as i typed it. (btw the 'wm' was also decapitalized in your quote) so.... Now i have to wonder if you've changed browsers, oss, or some other such thing recently?

And here, trying your lines:

Lol :d
testing 123

they are coming through fine, and as expected for me..curious...
testing 123

I don't know, it seems to still be doing it for me.

I will PM with more specifics.

Please support my
The Following User Says Thank You to wind_magic For This Useful Post:
Faster (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

testing 123

(same here)
Old 12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post

testing 123

(same here)
LOL
TESTING 1 2 3

You know what is weird about this is that if you type a paragraph or so of text AFTER you type "LOL " and "TESTING 1 2 3" then it works like it is supposed to.

Maybe it is a bug that has always been there and nobody noticed.

Please support my
Old 12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post

testing 123

(same here)
LOL
TESTING 1 2 3

It

This is definitely a bug in the server, or some setting that is wrong. Look at the difference here, if I type the word "It" at the end then it works like it is supposed to, but if I only type the word "I" then it makes it all lowercase.

Please support my