Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sailnet has new owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Donna it wasn't the emoticon 'issue' - that was just one of the ways it manifested itself. It seems to be something that prevents all-caps posting.. whether it's something new or not I'm not sure.
It looks like it has been that way for a while.

I did a quick search for "LOL" and glanced back through pages of posts and there were at least 20 posts that had "LOL" in all caps followed by some other text that included lower case letters, and also at least 20 posts that had "Lol", or "Lol!", or "lol", etc, but I did not find a single post that had "LOL" in all caps with nothing else in the post. Due to the number of posts that had "Lol" with the first letter capitalized and nothing else in the post I would think that Sailnet has been changing these posts all along.

I never noticed before because when I glanced at my own "LOL" type posts it looks like I never tried to write one that only had "LOL" in it.

Anyway, looks like a false alarm, sorry for wasting bandwidth on it.

New rule

If your LOL is all CAP
Sailnet gonna give it a ZAP

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Faster,

I've figured out the bug.

What it does is if you type only uppercase posts it will convert them to lowercase, but as soon as you add a lowercase letter to your post it leaves the post alone. I assume this is some kind of "feature" to stop people from typing posts in all uppercase and "SHOUTING".
Wow, I thought I just wasn't getting the joke.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2013
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Wow, I thought I just wasn't getting the joke.

I just thought someone left the valve open on the nitrous oxide

Vector X + Y
Old 12-10-2013
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

So I see that on many posts there is now an advertisement between posts. I also see ad space in the left hand column dedicated to selling ad space for $100 a month (space is limited!).

Should I expect more ads now that Sailnet has been sold (and slower forum response times that go with loading these ads)? Also, will Sailnet be updating the privacy policy soon due to new policies regarding changes in ownership and my data, and how it's used?
Old 12-10-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

I've noticed the abundance of advertisement in recent days as well and find extremely bothersome, a large percentage of window space that used to contain posts and other relevant information is now filled with advertisements. This is a very unfortunate development.

Old 12-10-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

just hang tight guys, you'll have the opportunity to "buy" out of the ads soon. There are a couple pop up blockers that work as well. I'm not sure what they are as I simply left the last sight that went this route.

interesting to see how the members here will react to this. so far many seem to be having a positive reaction to it.
Old 12-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I don't mind the ads. The place is free for crying out loud!

The key, in my mind, is to make the front page more valuable with solid content - so that the bulk of the advertising money can be made there instead of in the threads. This is the basic model SA uses (heavy advertising up front, light advertising in the threads) and it seems to work very well.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-10-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
... I also see ad space in the left hand column dedicated to selling ad space for $100 a month (space is limited!).

That particular ad for ads has been there on and off for at least six months. That's just when I started noticing it. I think it goes up when no ads were sold to fill the space.

I don't mind the ads. I would, however, like a little break from the [insert nationality here] ladies looking for love/companionship/husbands. And that woman who lives 2.8 miles from me...no matter where I am...is a stalker.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-10-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
That particular ad for ads has been there on and off for at least six months. That's just when I started noticing it. I think it goes up when no ads were sold to fill the space.

I don't mind the ads. I would, however, like a little break from the [insert nationality here] ladies looking for love/companionship/husbands. And that woman who lives 2.8 miles from me...no matter where I am...is a stalker.
yeah the only new ones I thought I noticed were inserted in posts.

hey that chick lives by me too. ....I wonder if she's hot?.........LOL
Old 12-10-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger79 View Post
yeah the only new ones I thought I noticed were inserted in posts.
I noticed these this morning (hadn't been on the site much in a few days). My favorite "feature" is that if you click "Remove Ads" (on the upper right corner of the ad) it just reports an error saying that I'm already registered.