Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailnet has new owners

Welcome new owners. Some advise from a longtime member: Dont mess with the formula that makes SN great.

Please dont make this site any more ad-covered than it already is. Or do the other nasty things like basic features (messaging, searching, etc) being repackaged as premium stuff. That's the kind of gimmickiness that can ruin a true resource that Sailnet is. The community side of this formula works just fine. I know you probably paid a pretty penny for this site, but dont let the business side of the equation ruin what we have here.

We've already had our forum "schism" a while back now and it took many of our best contributors to another forum where we're all pretty much members of too. Lets keep SN community focused rather than bottom-line focused.
bljones likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to night0wl For This Useful Post:
admin1 (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013
Administrator

admin1 is on a distinguished road

I don't think its possible to fit more ads on the site. There is no intention to mess with how the site is run. I have requests for things to help make the experience better and will be going over that shortly.

Staff stays the same, membership stays the same and your experience should only get better.
T37SOLARE, RainDog and momclarissa like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to admin1 For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Welcome, Phil... looking forward to a smooth transition.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-03-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

when do the paid memberships start?
Old 12-03-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger79 View Post
You wanna get paid????
Atlas likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-03-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I didn't notice the "Notice" up above until it was pointed out to me. Check it out for details.

New Owners: Welcome!

Now that the welcome is out of the way I'm going to make some suggestions that could really improve the UX of the site:
1) It would be great if the "new content" shown on the Home page could be customized to the forums that a user wants to read. As an example of this make a Sailing Anarchy account and look at how "View New Content" is implemented over there. It would also be nice if the homepage view (which is the first view into the forums) had page numbers for each topic as the "New Posts" view does. Today this Home button brings you to a unique view of the forums that is not available anywhere else and that is missing many sub-forums.
2) The forum-related menu bar (that contains useful links like "New Posts") is not on the home page, only once you get into the forums. Either the Home Page should be part of the forums or it shouldn't be, right now it is half broken.
3) Login on the site is broken and for over a year has brought up an error page that says:
"Invalid Redirect URL (http://sailnet.com/forums/cmps_index.php)"
4) The "Home" button has a "Register" submenu even when logged in.
5) The "New Posts" button shown in the upper left (the only version that is always available on the website) takes you to the full list of new posts, this could also be customized like the "View New Content" of Sailing Anarchy.

Thanks for listening,
alex
The broken buttons I will look into. The front page is a CMPS module page so it might just take a little juggling of the modules to make it look and work better. I will have a poke around and see what I can figure out.
Old 12-03-2013

heck yeah I do!!! LOL

actually, if I'm not mistaken this is the same group that purchased one of the cycle sites I used to be on. took about a month, maybe less before membership became purchased. you can still have free membership but only if you don't mind LOTS of ads.
Hopefully that won't happen here.

I really miss that old site it was a very close site much like this. now it's a ghost town.
Old 12-03-2013
Administrator

Quote:
I am guessing you are not campaigning for something like this to be added. There is currently no plan to make any changes to the site that would require you to pay anything. Being a regular user with all the perks you currently have as a regular user will not change.
Old 12-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin1 View Post
I am guessing you are not campaigning for something like this to be added. There is currently no plan to make any changes to the site that would require you to pay anything. Being a regular user with all the perks you currently have as a regular user will not change.
thank you.

gonna hold you to that. LOL
Old 12-03-2013
Administrator

Quote:
heck yeah I do!!! LOL

actually, if I'm not mistaken this is the same group that purchased one of the cycle sites I used to be on. took about a month, maybe less before membership became purchased. you can still have free membership but only if you don't mind LOTS of ads.
Hopefully that won't happen here.

I really miss that old site it was a very close site much like this. now it's a ghost town.
There are no sites with mandatory pay to play memberships on our network. Some sites have premium memberships you can purchase but these come with perks and they are different based on the site. Typically these are not added by us unless there is a call for it and many sites already have them. A premium membership is no different than ordering a pizza and paying for extra toppings or paying for better seats at a ball game.
The Following User Says Thank You to admin1 For This Useful Post:
xort (12-11-2013)