Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailnet has new owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin1 View Post
...A premium membership is no different than ordering a pizza and paying for extra toppings or paying for better seats at a ball game.
Except that sailing and cruising *ARE* different. Here, there is an ethos that a person with a good ol' boat, well worn, maintained by the sweat of the owner....will get to share the *SAME* sunset view in a distant anchorage as the megayacht owner that paid his way by buying a megayacht, all the toys, and hiring crew to get him there.

I *strongly* suggest understanding the community here. Sailors are not your normal consumerists...
Old 12-03-2013
Administrator

admin1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Except that sailing and cruising *ARE* different. Here, there is an ethos that a person with a good ol' boat, well worn, maintained by the sweat of the owner....will get to share the *SAME* sunset view in a distant anchorage as the megayacht owner that paid his way by buying a megayacht, all the toys, and hiring crew to get him there.

I *strongly* suggest understanding the community here. Sailors are not your normal consumerists...
I appreciate what you are saying, this is why your experience on the site currently will not change. Nothing will be taken away from you if anything I am working on a list of things people have already requested that the site needs to improve the current member experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin1 View Post
There are no sites with mandatory pay to play memberships on our network. Some sites have premium memberships you can purchase but these come with perks and they are different based on the site. Typically these are not added by us unless there is a call for it and many sites already have them. A premium membership is no different than ordering a pizza and paying for extra toppings or paying for better seats at a ball game.
that's pretty much what I mentioned originally. yes still have free available just with more ads and less features.

I digress. will watch the progress here, hopefully much more positive than the other site.

I'll try not to be a "chicken little -- sky is falling kiind of person"
The Following User Says Thank You to avenger79 For This Useful Post:
admin1 (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger79 View Post
that's pretty much what I mentioned originally. yes still have free available just with more ads and less features.

I digress. will watch the progress here, hopefully much more positive than the other site.

I'll try not to be a "chicken little -- sky is falling kiind of person"
I appreciate the optimism. Do you have anything you think the site is lacking or something you have seen elsewhere you would like to have here?
Old 12-03-2013

actually I love this site just like it is. great group of mods and admins and of course members.
Old 12-03-2013
Administrator

I don't want any of what you like about the site to change.
Old 12-03-2013

the only change I had ever thought of was:

first my apologies if this has been mentioned previously.

wondering if we could have a location for folks to post their willingness to crew on our others boats. a location, skill level and availability schedule of sorts.

ex: beginner with ASA 101 cert willing to crew local on lake whats its name on week nights from 5-7. located in boston MA will travel up to 20 miles etc.

I know we have a "crew wanted" section but that seems to be for long cruises. thinking more of the beginners who are looking to get some casual and local time on boats.

maybe post it as a sticky in crew wanted or general conversation section.

Thanks

not sure if it would be useful or feasible. probably more useful for newbies trying to get some sail time on boats actually. or racers looking for fresh meat. LOL
Old 12-03-2013
Administrator

forgive me but for lack of a better term a help wanted/help offered section or something added to a user's profile?
Old 12-03-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Well. As long as the poor guy has already been piled on:

I (and several others **who are deployed if that tugs on your heartstrings**) would very much like chat to return to our iPads. Please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-03-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

A take it by Faster's post that your "Phil"
Welcome, Phil I'm glad you are here and seem to have us regulars in mind and at heart.
I look forward to popping my head in every day or so and chatting with some real cool people from all over the country and beyond. I wish you well in your new site. Itís been said before but I will say it again, This site is a community of people that have come to know each other. We have been too many other sites and end up back here for that since of community. Make sure and donít mess that up and you will do great.
Peace.
Deb & Curtis Beauforty South Carolina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.