Sailnet has new owners - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 170 Old 12-03-2013
Administrator

Dock
Re: Sailnet has new owners

I will do my best. Any advice you all can offer is always appreciated especially when it comes to what you want on here.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 170 Old 12-03-2013 Thread Starter
no longer reading SailNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin1 View Post
The broken buttons I will look into. The front page is a CMPS module page so it might just take a little juggling of the modules to make it look and work better. I will have a poke around and see what I can figure out.
Thanks for checking into it! That is a big step forward.

When you first go to the homepage in a new browser session it also acts like you aren't logged in. Clicking "home" will then show you as logged in and make the "New Posts" button available.

This might also be integration issues between the CMPS and the forum software.

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.
post #33 of 170 Old 12-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
1) It would be great if the "new content" shown on the Home page could be customized to the forums that a user wants to read. As an example of this make a Sailing Anarchy account and look at how "View New Content" is implemented over there. It would also be nice if the homepage view (which is the first view into the forums) had page numbers for each topic as the "New Posts" view does. Today this Home button brings you to a unique view of the forums that is not available anywhere else and that is missing many sub-forums.

Alex,

Just a tip but I can't recall the last time I ever saw the SN home page. I've been here over 10 years and never entered SN via that avenue...

I book mark right to the forums using this link: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/search...earchid=663801

This takes me directly to new posts, no home page, no lines, no waiting.........

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #34 of 170 Old 12-03-2013
Administrator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Alex,

Just a tip but I can't recall the last time I ever saw the SN home page. I've been here over 10 years and never entered SN via that avenue...

I book mark right to the forums using this link: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/search...earchid=663801

This takes me directly to new posts, no home page, no lines, no waiting.........
That works as well, I think Alex is hoping we can make a better impression on the new people first landing on the home page in addition to function for members who do want to use it.
post #35 of 170 Old 12-03-2013

Quote:
That works as well, I think Alex is hoping we can make a better impression on the new people first landing on the home page in addition to function for members who do want to use it.
And that is always a good thing!!

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #36 of 170 Old 12-03-2013
Mermaid Hunter

Welcome Phil. Kudos on being accessible and responsive.

I won't belabor the point but I do think the off-topic sessions are poisonous. Brian, Jeff H, and Donna have heard chapter and verse on my opinion so I won't repeat myself here.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

post #37 of 170 Old 12-03-2013 Thread Starter
no longer reading SailNet

Quote:
And those of us who use many devices on many ecosystems and don't use bookmarks as a result.

The homepage sucking is not good for the system, even if regular users know or learn how to work around it.

Also, the "Home" button is about the only button that never moves and always works on this website.

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.

Last edited by Alex W; 12-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.
post #38 of 170 Old 12-03-2013
arrgh!

Dock

Welcome
and happy sailing, but admin1, you need a better avatar

Vector X Y
post #39 of 170 Old 12-03-2013

Not that I would recommend trying to turn sailnet into sailing anarchy, but I would recommend taking a look at their front page. The constant updating news articles makes it worth starting there instead of going strait to the forums.
tdw likes this.

Greg Rubin
Attorney
post #40 of 170 Old 12-03-2013
Old enough to know better

Are you going to be operating the e-commerce site as well? Funny thing is I don't recall ever seeing a post of anyone who actually purchased anything from Sailnet, mostly referrals to West Marine and Defender. I have gone to some of there specials and every link goes to Product not found! link. Then some pop up comes up asking if they can help me. I have always worried that this site might not go well, if it was depending on the sailnet e-commerce site making a profit.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.