Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Sailnet has new owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmeanderer View Post
If my analysis is wrong, argue the point instead of looking for a grassy knoll to divert the conversation.
Why argue? It's not like you're making a compelling case for anything.

Quote:
Maybe I've stumbled onto the reason why sailnet's time has passed. Hopefully the new owners are watching to see what really happens.
Or maybe you've just stumbled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Uhh...no it isn't. Cameraderie provides no income that would move one company to purchase an asset if not the entire company from someone else.

I think there's more at work here. It's obvious that sailnet hasn't become something wildly different over the last 6 months so there's no huge increase in income they've experienced or anything like that to justify outside interest. It could be that the previous owners just got tired of running it. But more than likely, there's meaning in looking at the analytics for the site over the last year. Alexa is a good general place that anyone can look - there are other sites that show much more but you have to pay to access them. Here's the free Alexa page:

alexa.com/siteinfo/sailnet.com

It's a log scale graph so changes are really much larger than they appear. What it shows, quite clearly, is that the boom time for sailnet happened around late spring/early summer 2012. There is no denying that use has significantly declined - and again, it's a log scale so it's even worse than it looks. Other sites that I use to access traffic show this same trend with a lot more detail especially over 5+ years of data.

A much more realistic explanation is that the previous owners of sailnet realized that this dog had hunted as far as it was ever going to go with them at the lead. Now was the time to sell and get out. The new purchasers with more experience in these vertical market forums might have realized that they could obtain new income in ways that the previous owners weren't willing to implement - like the "premium" accounts mentioned already (I'll have mine with extra cheese).

It was probably a smart idea that it was sold. The result of leaving things the same was going to be the continuing slide of sailnet use until it was just a memory of what we used to do (remember usenet, rec.sailing, etc?).
So why are you tracking the web traffic to and from Sailnet.com unless you have some vested interest. Do you feel you got a raw deal with the sale? You should be open about what your interests are as it is obviously not that of a lurker. You make mention of conspiracies, yet there is none. One entity sold a portion of it's business to someone else. They obviously had no interest in the forum, that is shown by the fact that there were several bugs in the software that were never addressed, such as uploading pictures. We just dealt with it because we knew the owners would not fix anything. Heck it took months for some people to get things like passwords fixed. I am happy to see a change in ownership. Perhaps there will be some good new features added. The past administration was atrocious so it can only improve. (sounds like fatal last words though doesn't it? ) I have been on forums with "premium memberships" and have never bought one because they don't offer anything I want or can't do on my own with ad blocking tools.

Give it a rest. Come back and complain if they implement some policies you don't like. You have not contributed to the value of the site, and apparently attacked DF in the chat, she should have banned you then, that is as offensive as kicking a puppy.
Old 12-04-2013
Banned

svmeanderer is on a distinguished road

Please forgive me. I shouldn't have given my input. This is obviously not a place that wants other ideas.

Best of luck!
Old 12-04-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Please forgive me. I shouldn't have given my input. This is obviously not a place that wants other ideas.

Best of luck!

amazing .... who would think that a non Seagull could sound quite so twittery.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-04-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
This is obviously not a place that wants other ideas.
Now you're getting the hang of it. We just want good ideas - not other ideas.
jimgo likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-05-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but I have a minor suggestion.

Quite a few other message boards have the ability to "remember" new posts since a user last accessed the site. So, if I bring up Sailnet and read through a thread, then go away for a day, then come back the next day and click on the same thread, the default first message at the top of my screen would be the first unread message since I last visited.

The way it is now, I'll click on that little arrow next to the user name of the last post, look through the last page to see the dates of all of the messages on the page and click back through the thread until I manually find the last unread message, then read through from there. In a hot thread, this could mean several additional page loads and associated bandwidth, while I search for my last read message. I don't know if the forum software can do this but if it can this would be a nice little improvement for the user and probably saved unneeded bandwidth you guys.
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 12-05-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Argyle... there's a little blue "down" arrow beside the thread title. Click that to take you to the first unread post in the thread.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-05-2013

jppp is on a distinguished road

Thx for the "little down arrow". Made my day.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 12-05-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Welcome to sailnet Phil, Around here it's not a good thread until someone gets mad.
chall03 and smackdaddy like this.
Old 12-05-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
I think this is a premier sailing site where everyone can contribute and learn.
In my opinion SailNet is #3 among the big four. Any of us could argue about the order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
Quite a few other message boards have the ability to "remember" new posts since a user last accessed the site.
Bookmark this: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/search...7,65&do=getnew
beware "cut and paste" sailors.