experience to start a thread - SailNet Community
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 04-29-2015 Thread Starter
arrgh!
 
titustiger27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,056
Thanks: 87
Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Dock
experience to start a thread

Seems to me you should have to have a number of posts, to start a thread...

Of course my reasoning might be unstable

I see lots of discussions started by someone, who's only post is that one (for example "Is a 32' Sailboat Over-sized for a Beginner?") Maybe they read and take in the advice, but I wonder if they ask the question... read one or two responses and move on...

Or worse, the ask the question, and move on because they are no longer interested.... On the plus it still might be a good discussion... but it seems troublesome to me that you never know if they original poster benefited from the thread..


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
titustiger27 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 Old 04-29-2015
Dragon Mod
 
DRFerron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,737
Thanks: 110
Thanked 212 Times in 194 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Dock
Re: experience to start a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
Seems to me you should have to have a number of posts, to start a thread...

....
Starting a thread and then not coming back (how do we really know?) is the least of the moderator's problems. I don't see it as a problem at all except for the time it wastes for some people to offer advice and suggestions that they don't know is received. Perhaps someone else down the road will benefit from the replies.

Perhaps they just want information without engaging in a debate about what they did (or didn't do).

Perhaps they forgot they posted here at all. I sometimes see the same people post the exact same question in multiple sailing forums.

I spend more time moving threads out of the wrong forum than I do worrying about drive-by posters (unless it's spam).

Donna


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
DRFerron is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 46 Old 04-29-2015 Thread Starter
arrgh!
 
titustiger27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,056
Thanks: 87
Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Dock
Re: experience to start a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Starting a thread and then not coming back (how do we really know?) is the least of the moderator's problems. I don't see it as a problem at all except for the time it wastes for some people to offer advice and suggestions that they don't know is received. Perhaps someone else down the road will benefit from the replies.

Perhaps they just want information without engaging in a debate about what they did (or didn't do).

Perhaps they forgot they posted here at all. I sometimes see the same people post the exact same question in multiple sailing forums.

I spend more time moving threads out of the wrong forum than I do worrying about drive-by posters (unless it's spam).
Not sure how this is or isn't a problem for the moderators ...

I don't see this as something moderators would even have to deal with. i was thinking it would be like pictures.. something you can't do, until you have 10 posts. A setting that you gain that ability after you have participated for a while.

I wouldn't want it to be work for anyone.

Also, the troublesome for me is not the people who start a thread and have five posts to their profile because they started it in five different thread. But the people who post one and only one thread... and likely never come back to Sailnet... and it would ease up work for moderators who have to move a thread because a person makes his/her one post, that is the same as another one and should be combined.


Or from a poster who posts a thread to sell something or spam the site.

I would think in the end it would make for less work for the moderators... but as a suggestion, it isn't why I mention it.

I also think that a lot of those who start a thread and that is their only post are people who haven't logged in since they posted that first post. Sure they may be following it, but they aren't responding to questions that are posted in the thread or via a personal message.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
titustiger27 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 46 Old 04-29-2015
Dragon Mod
 
DRFerron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,737
Thanks: 110
Thanked 212 Times in 194 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Dock
Re: experience to start a thread

I get your point.

I also see people who want to post a question getting frustrated by not being able to start a thread so they stick their question anywhere because all they can do is reply in an existing thread. Then it has to be moved out into its own thread. And getting frustrated because they can't start a thread and PMing the moderators.

When I mentioned "multiple sailing forums" I meant SailNet, Cruisers Forum, Sailing Anarchy, etc. I didn't mean forums just within SailNet. Sorry. I was't clear. I sometimes see the same people cut and paste their same question in them all.

If they only have one post (I think it's less than 15) they can't receive or send a PM unless it is to or from a moderator.

Donna


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
DRFerron is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 46 Old 04-29-2015 Thread Starter
arrgh!
 
titustiger27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,056
Thanks: 87
Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Dock
Re: experience to start a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I get your point.

I also see people who want to post a question getting frustrated by not being able to start a thread so they stick their question anywhere because all they can do is reply in an existing thread. Then it has to be moved out into its own thread. And getting frustrated because they can't start a thread and PMing the moderators.

When I mentioned "multiple sailing forums" I meant SailNet, Cruisers Forum, Sailing Anarchy, etc. I didn't mean forums just within SailNet. Sorry. I was't clear. I sometimes see the same people cut and paste their same question in them all.

If they only have one post (I think it's less than 15) they can't receive or send a PM unless it is to or from a moderator.
That might be where we have an 'educational moment'

Have people who might not be moderators...but mentors. to help those folks

However, I would bet that a lot of people don't just post their question anywhere, but actually search out a thread that is relevant to his or her question.

The multitude of forums seems to be a reason to start his or her one and done threads in fewer forums..

EDIT: Btw, I do see the irony here that I started a thread... when there actually is a suggestion thread.. and I apologize for that


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
titustiger27 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 46 Old 04-29-2015
Dragon Mod
 
DRFerron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,737
Thanks: 110
Thanked 212 Times in 194 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Dock
Re: experience to start a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
...
Have people who might not be moderators...but mentors. to help those folks
...
I see that frequently. I think I can speak for all of the mods when I say that we value the members who take the time to help other members with not just sailing stuff but also how to navigate the forum. It means that they care enough about the environment here to help it remain a comfortable place to return to again and again. Offline friendships have been made here and that's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
EDIT: Btw, I do see the irony here that I started a thread... when there actually is a suggestion thread.. and I apologize for that
Not a problem.
kjango likes this.

Donna


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
DRFerron is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 46 Old 04-29-2015
Junior Member
 
aeventyr60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Andaman Sea
Posts: 2,498
Thanks: 27
Thanked 70 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: experience to start a thread

Improving the search function may help. See a lot of the same questions/issues being raised, without being able to search for the topic it's just too easy to start a new thread.
Bruce3966 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
aeventyr60 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 46 Old 04-29-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
tdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 16,641
Thanks: 15
Thanked 110 Times in 103 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Re: experience to start a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
Not sure how this is or isn't a problem for the moderators ...

I don't see this as something moderators would even have to deal with. i was thinking it would be like pictures.. something you can't do, until you have 10 posts. A setting that you gain that ability after you have participated for a while.

I wouldn't want it to be work for anyone.

Also, the troublesome for me is not the people who start a thread and have five posts to their profile because they started it in five different thread. But the people who post one and only one thread... and likely never come back to Sailnet... and it would ease up work for moderators who have to move a thread because a person makes his/her one post, that is the same as another one and should be combined.


Or from a poster who posts a thread to sell something or spam the site.

I would think in the end it would make for less work for the moderators... but as a suggestion, it isn't why I mention it.

I also think that a lot of those who start a thread and that is their only post are people who haven't logged in since they posted that first post. Sure they may be following it, but they aren't responding to questions that are posted in the thread or via a personal message.
I'm not saying that your idea is without merit but we get enough grief over the restrictions on links and images by new users as it is.
blowinstink likes this.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
tdw is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 46 Old 04-30-2015
Dragon Mod
 
DRFerron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,737
Thanks: 110
Thanked 212 Times in 194 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Dock
Re: experience to start a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Improving the search function may help. See a lot of the same questions/issues being raised, without being able to search for the topic it's just too easy to start a new thread.
I also would like to see a better search function, but I also think more of a search function needs to start between the ears. I'm not convinced that the majority of people even TRY a search before posting a question because, you know, each one is the first to ever think of that question or their situation must be unique. Or they just don't think of searching first.
aeventyr60 likes this.

Donna


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
DRFerron is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #10 of 46 Old 04-30-2015
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 11,253
Thanks: 46
Thanked 241 Times in 225 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
Re: experience to start a thread

From my perspective, this is a place where my head gets into the game, when the rest of me isn't. I'm sure none of us are posting, while at the helm. Whatever starts the discussion, whatever the topic, however many times it's been asked before, it all accomplishes the same thing. A discussion, an opportunity for your mind to drift into the sport. If that's all that happens, it makes no difference to me if the OP does so on their first post, or ever posts again. The discussion is for everyone, not simply the OP. Although, I would hope we have enough that stick around, so the pub doesn't go quiet. If they were simply being a troll and stirring the pot, that's a different matter.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




  LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/198889-experience-start-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
experience to start a thread - SailNet Community This thread Refback 04-29-2015 01:05 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thread Thread: Trimaran Trampolines and UV Resistant Thread petertribo General Discussion (sailing related) 7 10-24-2013 09:29 AM
How much experience did you start with? Hayduke Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 41 12-31-2009 08:18 AM
Interesting thread... Actual SPOT 911 Experience labatt General Discussion (sailing related) 3 02-22-2009 03:13 PM
Experience Using Gortex Thread & Sunbrella? geoffschultz Gear & Maintenance 3 02-06-2007 07:02 PM
Thread: Entrepreneur reveals X7 element at NEC Start-up show (Startups) NewsReader News Feeds 0 06-10-2006 06:15 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome