Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt
Good attitude. Senior member or not, try and tell that to the advertisers.
What should my attitude be, genius? "Oh, yay! Another failed attempt to log onto Sailnet?"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2006

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
The problem I find with them is that there DNS servers go down and then you can't resolve the web address. Why they just don't outsource it I don't know.
Old 10-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't think the problem is DNS...DNS servers are not controlled by Sailnet, and are fairly robust at this point in time. Most ISPs have at least two or three DNS servers, and it is very unlikely that the DNS tables get corrupted on an almost daily basis.

The real problem is that the Sailnet servers have some serious configuration or scaling issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-30-2006
johnr

jr438234606 is on a distinguished road
I think Sailnet must be about to go bust (again!). When companies are about to pull the plug they will often just "coast along" trying to keep up appearances while scaling back resources. I wonder if they are even filling orders?

Anyway, I've had enough and I'm outta here! I'm going to CruisersForum.com where I've noticed that many folks from the Sailnet community already have a presence. So long Sailnet!

Last edited by jr438234606; 10-30-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't be surprised if Sailnet.com was going to go belly-up, since their prices are in no way even close to competitive. Also, if the problems with the forums are in any way indicative of similar problems with the e-commerce site, then it is likely that many of their possible sales fail due to the website becoming unavailable in the middle of a transaction.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-30-2006
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
Rest assured my friends that SailNet is not going out of business - there has never been a bigger commitment to this site and there's never been more activity.

We are very painfully aware of the server problems and are working to correct the failures by the end of this week. Old code inherited from the prior owners of SailNet is the source of the problem and one of the largest obstacles to removing this code was moving the articles out of their old format and into the new Forum section. There are about 9 other screens on the website that we are now switching from Cold Fusion to the new language which we use (php) and we should be done by the end of this week.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and we'll get it corrected.

- jeff
Old 10-30-2006
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcorvette1995
The problem I find with them is that there DNS servers go down and then you can't resolve the web address. Why they just don't outsource it I don't know.
the problems is not the DNS servers, it the actual webserver software (Apache 2.0) failing as a result of problems in Cold Fusion....which we are in the process of removing...

Old 10-30-2006
Telstar 28

Thanks for the update Jeff... I'm glad you're going open source. PHP is a remarkably stable and well supported platform.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-30-2006

Sialia is on a distinguished road
No doubt about it, as Jeff said, the site has been slow and subjected to periods of disruption due to the inherited code of the old site. This is frustrating for everyone – believe me, we’re working hard to get this fixed.

On the topic of the store and prices. We do not have the lowest industry prices on every item in the store. In general, however, we are competitive. In many cases, you’ll find that our prices are lower than most of our competitors. We expect you to shop around for price – I do it myself. When you do compare prices, be sure that you get the facts – I think we’ll do well.

On the question of specific prices of the Lewmar - 60MM Synchro block single alloy sheave (lewmar part number 29926029), our price is higher by 6% ($1.56), not the 72% mentioned in the thread.

We read the forums and are always happy to hear about suggestions and comments. Please post any comments or thoughts you have here, or send me a private message or call me directly at SailNet. The store is part of the community and we really appreciate the unvarnished feedback.

And yes, we’re here to stay.

Chris
Old 10-30-2006
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Thanks for the update Jeff... I'm glad you're going open source. PHP is a remarkably stable and well supported platform.
Thanks - We love Apache and we love php and we've even setup a seperate Linux server just to run the Mysql Database behind the site. The old system was all developed in Cold Fusion and relied on Microsoft SQL Server and Cold Fusion does not play well together with Apache 2.0.

We are redeveloping Boat Manager in php and getting it off Cold Fusion. The marketing folks here wanted some additional features in Boat Manager and the developers are all too willing to comply which has delayed the implementation of the new Boat Manager module. But the activity on the site has increased so much that Cold Fusion just can't hold up even on our new servers which are 4 GB Ram, Dual Pentium 3.2 GHZ Xenon Processors with Hyper threading and fast scsi raid drive array configurations. We spared no expense on the servers when we took over Sailnet and got off their old delapidated servers.

We're putting in lots lots of extra hours to get rid of all the old Cold Fusion Code and it cannot happen too soon as far as we're concerned - as we're sure you are too!