SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Announcements and Suggestions Box (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/)
-   -   Impossible to get on Sailnet (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/24488-impossible-get-sailnet.html)

sanctuarysam 10-28-2006 10:02 AM

Impossible to get on Sailnet

Is it just me..or is getting on here getting harder? I tried several times last night and this morning..just the dreaded sailnet has refused connestion..or doument contains no data..grrr..
I've never had a problem getting on SA..
ok..what's the deal here..
Bueller..Bueller?

sailingdog 10-28-2006 10:05 AM

It is pretty well known that sailnet.com's servers are less that robust. They've been having a lot of downtime on their webservers. Whether this is due to the equipment being too old and incapable of handling the load, or a bad server-side software configuration is anyone's guess.

merc2dogs 10-28-2006 10:16 AM

Agreed, keep getting a 'connection refused', many times while on sailnet, going from general to another forum, and "connection refused"

thought it was because I was running linux, but happens in windows too, just had the idea that it wasn't as common because I'm in linux more often, so see the issue more frequently.

Ken.

sailingdog 10-28-2006 10:26 AM

Nope, really has nothing to do with what browser or OS you're using AFAICT. It is purely a balky webserver/database engine problem. My guess is that there is some code in the site that causes the processor to hang, and that due to the size of the site and number of visitors, it gets tripped with some regularity. And once it gets tripped, it takes a while before a sys admin notices, so the site is toast until they get around to killing the bad process and/or restarting the web server daemon.

goldingds 10-28-2006 11:35 AM

Sailnet should set up a paypal donation system and have a big fundraising event to raise a couple thousand to help with serves. I'd donate a few bucks.

sailingdog 10-28-2006 11:51 AM

Given that sailnet is a commercial enterprise, with a related e-commerce operation and advertising revenue, I think that they should be capable of providing their own servers. If they were purely a non-profit, I could see donating money towards their capital costs, but they are a business.

Fstbttms 10-28-2006 12:25 PM

You get what you pay for, I guess.

camaraderie 10-29-2006 09:45 AM

They keep saying they are working on the problem...over the last several months...but it seems to be getting worse rather than better. Really frustrating to continualy lose your messages and "new posts".

Charlie R 10-29-2006 09:52 AM

I also agree that it a web server issue. I am a founding father of this power boat site and we finally bought a larger server and have not had one issue for a year and a half. pennyanbbs.org

sailingdog 10-29-2006 09:55 AM

I'd agree with cam as the outages seem to be more often as of late, and of longer duration than previously experienced.