Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
Impossible to get on Sailnet

Is it just me..or is getting on here getting harder? I tried several times last night and this morning..just the dreaded sailnet has refused connestion..or doument contains no data..grrr..
I've never had a problem getting on SA..
ok..what's the deal here..
Bueller..Bueller?

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is pretty well known that sailnet.com's servers are less that robust. They've been having a lot of downtime on their webservers. Whether this is due to the equipment being too old and incapable of handling the load, or a bad server-side software configuration is anyone's guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-28-2006

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Agreed, keep getting a 'connection refused', many times while on sailnet, going from general to another forum, and "connection refused"

thought it was because I was running linux, but happens in windows too, just had the idea that it wasn't as common because I'm in linux more often, so see the issue more frequently.

Ken.
Old 10-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nope, really has nothing to do with what browser or OS you're using AFAICT. It is purely a balky webserver/database engine problem. My guess is that there is some code in the site that causes the processor to hang, and that due to the size of the site and number of visitors, it gets tripped with some regularity. And once it gets tripped, it takes a while before a sys admin notices, so the site is toast until they get around to killing the bad process and/or restarting the web server daemon.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-28-2006

goldingds is on a distinguished road
Sailnet should set up a paypal donation system and have a big fundraising event to raise a couple thousand to help with serves. I'd donate a few bucks.
Old 10-28-2006
Telstar 28

Given that sailnet is a commercial enterprise, with a related e-commerce operation and advertising revenue, I think that they should be capable of providing their own servers. If they were purely a non-profit, I could see donating money towards their capital costs, but they are a business.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-28-2006
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
You get what you pay for, I guess.
Old 10-29-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
They keep saying they are working on the problem...over the last several months...but it seems to be getting worse rather than better. Really frustrating to continualy lose your messages and "new posts".
Old 10-29-2006

Charlie R is on a distinguished road
I also agree that it a web server issue. I am a founding father of this power boat site and we finally bought a larger server and have not had one issue for a year and a half. pennyanbbs.org
Old 10-29-2006
Telstar 28

I'd agree with cam as the outages seem to be more often as of late, and of longer duration than previously experienced.

Telstar 28
New England