Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Moderation

Not a complaint, mind you, but merely an observation.

I notice two things: One relatively trivial, the other potentially a big problem.

The first is posts that, arguably, end-up in the wrong sub-forums. There are even a couple in here. E.g.: Something about learning to sail ending-up in gear & maintenence. Like I said: Trivial, but keeping things neat leads to a more useful forum, IME.

The other is potentially a big problem, because it can render a forum a wasteland unless it's checked early and, unfortunately, often: Spam.

Now the reason I mention this is I'm wondering if Sailnet is short on moderators? I'd normally not volunteer for such a thing, as it's been my experience that most forums don't take volunteers as moderators (because they suspect, and rightfully so, IME, that many volunteers are looking for the power trip they think they'll get ), but I suspect y'all are a bit short on moderators?

Don't know how long I'll be here. Could be wifey and I will find we don't like sailing as much as we thought we would. Could be we'll like it so much we'll sail off, never to be heard from again. Anything could happen. But I'm here now, I've got moderation experience, and I'm willing to help.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Semi

You are new here. And that has been discussed many times before you arrived.

So you know the site has moderation, given, it was more active when Cam was the moderator, but has moderation. I log on many times on European time and see spam that later is deleted as the US moderators wake up. Its been like this for a while. Eventually the mod gets a report of spam and delets it. How can you know? As you may recall some members were recentely banned, a proof there is moderation.

I believe SAilnet is working on the moderation issue, to improve it.

Now, the other issue, the decaying of posts.

That was discussed many times, its a feature and a characteristic of many posts to veer away from what was the original subject.

We have discussed that many many times, and a OFF TOPIC forum was created...

You can't control posts veering into something else, that gives them some charm and is a consequence of open chanel comunication, where a multitude of thoughts and ideas are exposed, which is what makes this place so rich. Besides, veering off into something else, brings other interesting issues that can be debated, or subject of a new thread.

We are here to expose our ideas, questions etc. some threads end up in fun or photoshop, often after the issue is exhausted or its so stupid to start with that fun can't be avoided.

Creating hard rock rules for keeping subject relatd threads will for sure "break" the fun, and the purpose. I like it the way it is, and according to previous discussions we had, so do the other more frequent posters and "residents".

Relax, man...enjoy

Last edited by Giulietta; 07-22-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-22-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Enough of this moderation. Let's see some more Portagee sailing babes!
Old 07-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Now, the other issue, the decaying of posts.

That was discussed many times, its a feature and a characteristic of many posts to veer away from what was the original subject.
I wasn't referring to thread drift. Thread drift is almost inevitable. No, I was talking about thread starters posted in the wrong sub-forum. There is one or two in here. Like I said: A relatively minor issue, but it does help to move such threads to the proper sub-forum quickly, for two reasons: 1. It's more likely the OP will get the discussion he/she seeks in the proper venue and 2. When somebody else goes searching, later, and restricts their search to the proper or most likely sub-forums, it'll be there.

Quote:
Relax, man...enjoy
I am, I am

Like I said: Not a criticism. Merely an observation.

Jim
Old 07-22-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
I wasn't referring to thread drift. Thread drift is almost inevitable. No, I was talking about thread starters posted in the wrong sub-forum. There is one or two in here. Like I said: A relatively minor issue, but it does help to move such threads to the proper sub-forum quickly, for two reasons: 1. It's more likely the OP will get the discussion he/she seeks in the proper venue and 2. When somebody else goes searching, later, and restricts their search to the proper or most likely sub-forums, it'll be there.

Jim
Jim, I am sorry, I did not understand what you mean it the first place.

Sorry one more time. I am foreigner, and sometimes I don't understand the things in English.

Anyway. I think you should stay here, and enjoy the site. Maybe one day, just one day, you will be promoted and become an AFOC...

Like Cam, SD or Sway...
Old 07-22-2007

Quote:
Jim, I am sorry, I did not understand what you mean it the first place.

Sorry one more time. I am foreigner, and sometimes I don't understand the things in English.
No need to apologize Giu. And certainly no need to apologize for any comm errors due to the language thing. Would that I could read, write and speak Portugese half way as well as you do English. Or that I could do so in any language other than English.

Quote:
Anyway. I think you should stay here, and enjoy the site. Maybe one day, just one day, you will be promoted and become an AFOC...
Oh, I don't have any plans to go anywhere. But I do suffer from "hobby of the week syndrome," as a friend called it. I find a new interest, focus on that like a laser (the beam, not the boat ), and I'm off. Most hobbies that truly interest me, I come back to. Or never really leave in the first place--just kind of... suspend. I'm hoping sailing is one of those, as it's one my wife and I can enjoy together.

Quote:
Like Cam, SD or Sway...

Btw: I'm already an AFOC in some circles. I'm confident that, with enough time & effort, I'll somehow manage to join those illustrious ranks here on Sailnet, as well .

Jim