Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008

ralphmacey is on a distinguished road
new water heater

I have a 1984 Tartan 3000 and the PO removed the water heater. I would like to reinstall a small water heater that uses both the engine coolant and electric shore power for heat. I have no idea what brand to buy and how difficult it will be to hook up, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2008

landlockvasailor is on a distinguished road
I recommend finding out why he remove and do you have a heat exchanger. If not how did he seal the bypass to the old water tank. If not that is the first item to research. If it still in tack, it is not that difficult. Best bet would be to look at someone else.
Old 05-26-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
A variety of small tanks are available from Rarita, Force10, Kuuma and others that will do both AC and heat exchanger based heating. Basically you hook up two hoses from your heat exchanger to the heater...one "in" and one "out". I also recommend putting two VALVES on those hoses so you can take them out of the heat exchange circuit if necessary. On the electrical side, you run and AC 3wire conduit to the heater from your breaker panel with a breaker designed to handle the amp load of the heater. Of course you will also need to bolt the heater in place. I'd look for a 6 gallon one that will fit in your available space.
Since the PO had a heater...you probably already have the taps or hose for the heater in place as well as a circuit breaker, so the job may be fairly easy to accomplish for you.
Heaters tend to be problematic over time...rusting out or needing heating elements replaced so you may wish to consider a stainless one if you plan to hold onto the boat for a while.
Old 05-26-2008

ralphmacey is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply. I see there is a big price difference between the Raritan and the Force 10 or Kuuma. Some of the tanks are aluminum, some are glass lined steel [Raritan] and some are stainless. The Raritan is twice the cost. Is there a brand I should lean to?
Old 05-26-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ralph...the glass lined tank is a big plus over the aluminum ones but the price differential is IMO not worth it....if you winterize properly each year. I like the Kuuma with the stainless exterior/aluminum tank as a good price/performance mix.
Old 05-26-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I agree with Cam for the recreational sailor the Kuuma or Seaward are good units. If you are live-aboard maybe the Ratiton maybe worth it if you are planing on keeping the the boat for years and years.
Old 05-26-2008

JB2 is on a distinguished road
Seaward

We have a Seaward on our Caliber 47LRC, with both engine water and 120vac heating. The installation was very straightforward - the original one mysteriously cracked, and I had to replace it. Caliber sent us new one to Georgetown in the Bahamas for free as the old one was still under warranty. Easy to replace and re-plumb.