SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Announcements and Suggestions Box (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/)
-   -   Email notification for entire list (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/45890-email-notification-entire-list.html)

MarilynD 08-09-2008 02:36 PM

Email notification for entire list

I am one of the members of a much-loved email list who has been moved into the Forum by the closure of the lists. I would like to know how to set up email notification for the entire list, rather than just for individual threads. We were told that it was possible. I have spent much time looking but can't figure out how to do it.
Thanks for any help.
Marilyn

camaraderie 08-09-2008 05:41 PM

Marilyn...the Admin can chime in if I'm wrong but if you have your mail options turned on in your edit control panel already then you just have to go to your particular sub-forum main page and just below the forum name you'll see a click on drop down list called forum tools where you can choose "subscribe" to get messages within that forum mailed to you. Hope this helps...if not ...write again & welcome!

L02314564 08-09-2008 06:22 PM

Hi Marilyn,

I use Micorsoft Outlook and supscribe to the forums using RSS 2.0. This automatically downloads the messages threads and allows me to double-click on the message to respond in the message thread. To get tehe RSS feeds, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the RSS link. I have to copy the resulting address to my RSS reader for it to monotor the feed automatically. I think Windows Explorer allows subscribing to RSS feeds as well.

You can also subscribe to the individual threads to get notification when a particular thread has been responded to. This alows you to follow the thread through-out its' history.

I hope this helps...I know it works for my setup. Good luck.

therapy23 08-09-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L02314564 (Post 352295)

You can also subscribe to the individual threads to get notification when a particular thread has been responded to. This alows you to follow the thread through-out its' history.

It does not work for me and never has.

The ISP says it is not them and there are no filters on my Outlook Express and no problems from other forums.

Some have tried to help but it does not work for me.

MarilynD 08-10-2008 12:18 PM

Thanks for the help. I have now subscribed to the list and to the threads. The email notification that I receive gives me the next post in the thread but says that I have to go to the forum before I will receive another email notice of the next post. This is not satisfactory for me as my main computer, for some reason (not a pentium), cannot deal with the log-in redirection. It freezes up. I am now using my laptop which works fine but it is not the computer which I use every day.
RSS feeds:
I also subscribed to this but do not know how to receive them. I have never used a RSS feed before so my computer is not set up to receive them.
One of the posts here mentions RSS, but the information is not detailed enough for me to know what to do to receive RSS.
Can anyone outline clearly what I have to do?
Am I likely to have a problem if my computer is not a pentium?
Thanks for any help
Marilyn

therapy23 08-10-2008 12:36 PM

It started workin for me last night.

Ya Hooo!!!