Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
What were the email lists anyway?....Not a joke I really dont know..
I'm with you Still...never had a clue what people were talking about?????????? Of course I rarely do
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Den...we're not TRYING to tell you anything!
Hartley...thanks...will pass your compliment on to Admin.
Still...they were lists of owners of specific model/make boatsas well as a few specialty topics (live-aboard etc.) that would post via email to the entire group for discussion and be notified when a new message or reply was posted. Sailnet ran the mail server to distribute these messages for a number of years and still keeps the archive of knowledge which you can view under the resources tab. No advertising...no non-group members. Such lists still exist on google and yahoo.
OK Cam, I got the message.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 08-25-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I'm with you Still...never had a clue what people were talking about?????????? Of course I rarely do
I was a member on the O'day list. It was why I got onto Sailnet. But they got rid of it and they are trying to get rid of me. Where are my friends in low places?

's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 08-25-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Not much sense arguing with you Mitch...you don't know the facts and I am not at liberty to discuss them and nothing will change.
One would think that as sound business people Sailnet would want to get the facts out. Otherwise it's open speculation on what is going on, and the facts all of us can see or deduce indicate a company on the ropes, or at least trying to make itself look like a worthy place for some money from an investor. But as you say, it doesn't matter because nothing will change.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 08-25-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by denby View Post
I was a member on the O'day list. It was why I got onto Sailnet. But they got rid of it and they are trying to get rid of me. Where are my friends in low places?
They're ignoring you!!

Excellent signature, BTW
Old 08-25-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Crikey!! It's mighty hard to drop a compliment around here without it getting lost in the wind..

Fact: SailNet is actually usable now.

Don't you guys ever look on the bright side??
Hartley, since so few of you took advantage of the email lists, you don't know what Sailnet threw away to save the expense of a new server. The Pearson email list on here had over 300 members, and was the place to get info on our boats. How often did you see me tell someone in the Pearson forum to join the email list and ask their question there? For whatever reason, people on the email list had no use for the forums. Then Sailnet pulled the plug on all the email lists in the dark of the night without a word of warning or explanation. Sorry, I (and I Know most Pearsonites)look at this as a net loss for Sailnet utility, not a gain. What does faster mean if they sh*t-canned the reason you used Sailnet at all?

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 08-25-2008

[QUOTE=Hartley18;358575]They're ignoring you!!

Excellent signature, BTW [/QUOTE]

Well thank you Hartley. Do you know how to shorten it? any help would be appreciated.

BTW they always ignore me.

's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 08-25-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Ah......Im understanding now...so there was this sub culture in the background where you could pick and choose your interests with out engaging the forms by email alone and now its/they are gone........So I never met the REAL Irwin fans....

Watch... cam will tell me "Is Ok Still you were the only one".....

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-25-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Is OK Still...you were the only one!

Actually there were about 15-20 regulars on that list and some date bck to my Irwin days. Here's a link to the old archives...you might find something interesting!
http://www.sailnet.com/list_server/c...hp/?list=irwin
Old 08-25-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch View Post
Hartley, since so few of you took advantage of the email lists, you don't know what Sailnet threw away to save the expense of a new server. The Pearson email list on here had over 300 members, and was the place to get info on our boats. How often did you see me tell someone in the Pearson forum to join the email list and ask their question there? For whatever reason, people on the email list had no use for the forums. Then Sailnet pulled the plug on all the email lists in the dark of the night without a word of warning or explanation. Sorry, I (and I Know most Pearsonites)look at this as a net loss for Sailnet utility, not a gain. What does faster mean if they sh*t-canned the reason you used Sailnet at all?
Mitch, you're quite right - I haven't been around here long enough to appreciate what was lost.

I fully understand if you'd don't agree, but with the vast amounts of spam these days (increasing by the day) may I suggest that email lists are probably a thing of the past and forums the way of the future.

Yeah, I understand that SailNet can be a pain over dial-up/slow connections and I only access it at work for that very reason - if you tried it a few months ago on this side of the globe you'd know what I mean!! - but there has been a huge improvement in speed since and we've been told that nothing from the old lists has been lost, so... is there any reason not to move with the times??

Nobody likes change... but that doesn't make it wrong.

Cameron