SailNet OK - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 08-25-2008
T37Chef's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,166
Thanks: 65
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 8
T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
What were the email lists anyway?....Not a joke I really dont know..
I'm with you Still...never had a clue what people were talking about?????????? Of course I rarely do
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 08-25-2008
denby's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dead Sea, some times called Long Island Sound
Posts: 2,531
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Den...we're not TRYING to tell you anything!
Hartley...thanks...will pass your compliment on to Admin.
Still...they were lists of owners of specific model/make boatsas well as a few specialty topics (live-aboard etc.) that would post via email to the entire group for discussion and be notified when a new message or reply was posted. Sailnet ran the mail server to distribute these messages for a number of years and still keeps the archive of knowledge which you can view under the resources tab. No advertising...no non-group members. Such lists still exist on google and yahoo.
OK Cam, I got the message.
__________________
Dennis
O'Day 302

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 08-25-2008
denby's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dead Sea, some times called Long Island Sound
Posts: 2,531
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I'm with you Still...never had a clue what people were talking about?????????? Of course I rarely do
I was a member on the O'day list. It was why I got onto Sailnet. But they got rid of it and they are trying to get rid of me. Where are my friends in low places?
__________________
Dennis
O'Day 302

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 08-25-2008
SailorMitch's Avatar
Senior Moment
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MD
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Not much sense arguing with you Mitch...you don't know the facts and I am not at liberty to discuss them and nothing will change.
One would think that as sound business people Sailnet would want to get the facts out. Otherwise it's open speculation on what is going on, and the facts all of us can see or deduce indicate a company on the ropes, or at least trying to make itself look like a worthy place for some money from an investor. But as you say, it doesn't matter because nothing will change.
__________________
SailorMitch
Sailing winged keels since 1989.
1.20.09 Bush's last day the end of an error !! Hopefully we still have a constitution and economy left by then.


"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama


good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert


I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 08-25-2008
Classic30's Avatar
Once known as Hartley18
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,526
Thanks: 28
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
Rep Power: 9
Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by denby View Post
I was a member on the O'day list. It was why I got onto Sailnet. But they got rid of it and they are trying to get rid of me. Where are my friends in low places?
They're ignoring you!!

Excellent signature, BTW
__________________
-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 08-25-2008
SailorMitch's Avatar
Senior Moment
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MD
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Crikey!! It's mighty hard to drop a compliment around here without it getting lost in the wind..

Fact: SailNet is actually usable now.

Don't you guys ever look on the bright side??
Hartley, since so few of you took advantage of the email lists, you don't know what Sailnet threw away to save the expense of a new server. The Pearson email list on here had over 300 members, and was the place to get info on our boats. How often did you see me tell someone in the Pearson forum to join the email list and ask their question there? For whatever reason, people on the email list had no use for the forums. Then Sailnet pulled the plug on all the email lists in the dark of the night without a word of warning or explanation. Sorry, I (and I Know most Pearsonites)look at this as a net loss for Sailnet utility, not a gain. What does faster mean if they sh*t-canned the reason you used Sailnet at all?
__________________
SailorMitch
Sailing winged keels since 1989.
1.20.09 Bush's last day the end of an error !! Hopefully we still have a constitution and economy left by then.


"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama


good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert


I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 08-25-2008
denby's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dead Sea, some times called Long Island Sound
Posts: 2,531
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
[QUOTE=Hartley18;358575]They're ignoring you!!

Excellent signature, BTW [/QUOTE]

Well thank you Hartley. Do you know how to shorten it? any help would be appreciated.

BTW they always ignore me.
__________________
Dennis
O'Day 302

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 08-25-2008
Stillraining's Avatar
Handsome devil
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LaConner,Washington
Posts: 3,477
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 9
Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Ah......Im understanding now...so there was this sub culture in the background where you could pick and choose your interests with out engaging the forms by email alone and now its/they are gone........So I never met the REAL Irwin fans....




Watch... cam will tell me "Is Ok Still you were the only one".....

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-25-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 08-25-2008
camaraderie's Avatar
moderate?
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: East Coast
Posts: 13,877
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 15
camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Is OK Still...you were the only one!

Actually there were about 15-20 regulars on that list and some date bck to my Irwin days. Here's a link to the old archives...you might find something interesting!
http://www.sailnet.com/list_server/c...hp/?list=irwin
__________________
No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 08-25-2008
Classic30's Avatar
Once known as Hartley18
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,526
Thanks: 28
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
Rep Power: 9
Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch View Post
Hartley, since so few of you took advantage of the email lists, you don't know what Sailnet threw away to save the expense of a new server. The Pearson email list on here had over 300 members, and was the place to get info on our boats. How often did you see me tell someone in the Pearson forum to join the email list and ask their question there? For whatever reason, people on the email list had no use for the forums. Then Sailnet pulled the plug on all the email lists in the dark of the night without a word of warning or explanation. Sorry, I (and I Know most Pearsonites)look at this as a net loss for Sailnet utility, not a gain. What does faster mean if they sh*t-canned the reason you used Sailnet at all?
Mitch, you're quite right - I haven't been around here long enough to appreciate what was lost.

I fully understand if you'd don't agree, but with the vast amounts of spam these days (increasing by the day) may I suggest that email lists are probably a thing of the past and forums the way of the future.

Yeah, I understand that SailNet can be a pain over dial-up/slow connections and I only access it at work for that very reason - if you tried it a few months ago on this side of the globe you'd know what I mean!! - but there has been a huge improvement in speed since and we've been told that nothing from the old lists has been lost, so... is there any reason not to move with the times??

Nobody likes change... but that doesn't make it wrong.

Cameron
__________________
-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SailNet is Done - 4 Year Old Thread! boater1 General Discussion (sailing related) 39 01-25-2014 10:22 AM
Important Notice regarding list.sailnet.net (the old SailNet List Server) administrator General Discussion (sailing related) 43 08-13-2008 12:02 PM
See my Sailnet Burgee Fly in Portugal... Giulietta General Discussion (sailing related) 13 02-20-2008 07:50 PM
SailNet on the Move SailNet Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 09-16-2002 08:00 PM
Have Sailnet changes been announced? stpeteguy General Discussion (sailing related) 12 08-30-2002 02:12 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:10 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.