Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAsailing View Post
I think I misinterpreted your tone. I read it as a criticsm of the existing mods, rather than "Y'all need a new or another mod in addition to the current ones."
Suggesting that a current mod be replaced by one that keeps different hours is not a criticism of the current mods, it's a rational solution to a problem. If you have three mods that are all moderating at the same time, and leaving a chunk of time with nobody at the helm, you have some time-period in which you have an excess of moderators and another time-period in which you have a complete absence. Would you operate a crew rotation that way on a long-distance voyage? Two or more at the helm for N shifts, and none for the remainder? Would suggesting that maybe there are too many helmsmen during part of the 24-hour period and none at all during another be a criticism of the helmsmen?

Or another mod to cover the other hours. But I get the impression Sailnet tries to limit the total number of mods.

Here's the thing about spammers and scammers: Once they identify you as an "easy mark," they'll worry you like a bone. If Sailnet doesn't address these recent "spam/scam floods" promptly, that might well happen. Nipping this kind of thing in the bud is significantly easier than fixing it after-the-fact.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
If every single poster here was a mod, it wouldn't make a difference. I think the spammers are using a new software. We are getting a LOT more Spam than we were a couple of months ago.

We are finding that we are getting spammed in the sames threads. I am technically illiterate on this stuff, but as we look back, it is spam after spam after spam (almost always in the exact same thread). I will not use the right terminology here, but it is like they have identified software that will automatically register them, identified the "ip address" of the threads (through prior work), and simply hit a buttong and keep nailing us.

Not sure that makes sense? One thought I had was to create a new thread with the same title as the old. Then, move all of the information from the "spam-identified" thread to the new thread. Then, delete the old thread or make it unavailable for posting.

I may try that. Thoughts???

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 01-16-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2009
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Dad, There is a simple fix and I am most surprised you have not thought of it yourself. Block new register's from posting until they have 10 posts. Anytime I can be of help.
Old 01-16-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Dad, There is a simple fix and I am most surprised you have not thought of it yourself. Block new register's from posting until they have 10 posts. Anytime I can be of help.
Better yet, just block new registers!!! Or, force everyone to read Dog's signature. That might even scare away the spammers!!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-16-2009

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
LOL. Now THAT is funny. Heck, you could also block them from registering until they have 10 posts if you really wanted to crack down...
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 01-16-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
If every single poster here was a mod, it wouldn't make a difference. I think the spammers are using a new software. We are getting a LOT more Spam than we were a couple of months ago.

We are finding that we are getting spammed in the sames threads. I am technically illiterate on this stuff, but as we look back, it is spam after spam after spam (almost always in the exact same thread). I will not use the right terminology here, but it is like they have identified software that will automatically register them, identified the "ip address" of the threads (through prior work), and simply hit a buttong and keep nailing us.

Not sure that makes sense? One thought I had was to create a new thread with the same title as the old. Then, move all of the information from the "spam-identified" thread to the new thread. Then, delete the old thread or make it unavailable for posting.

Brian
If that's indeed the case, then lock the threads after posting an invitation to start a new thread on the same subject for those that may want to continue the discussion. It seems like these are often older threads so I don't see that causing much conflict. It's too labor intensive to try and re-create the thread.

Old 01-16-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
... but it is like they have identified software that will automatically register them, identified the "ip address" of the threads (through prior work), and simply hit a buttong and keep nailing us.

Not sure that makes sense?
Of course. It's 'bot software and it's trivial to write in a powerful scripting language such as Perl.

Doesn't Sailnet's version of vBulletin have CAPTCHA support? Do CAPTCHA during registration and, on post submissions during the probation period, and you'll reduce the problem significantly. (Won't eliminate it, entirely, and CAPTCHA is a problem for the sight-impaired, but nothing is perfect.)

And you still really ought to have someone at the helm 24-hours-a-day, if at all possible. Automated anti-abuse systems are imperfect and this is an international sailing site, no?

None of the above is meant to be a criticism of either Sailnet or the current moderators. It's just that I utterly detest spam and am trying to suggest ways to make Sailnet as spam-free as possible. Besides: It's not just spam. Some of that stuff may well lead to members' computers being exploited.

Jim
Old 01-16-2009

Quote:

We are finding that we are getting spammed in the sames threads. I am technically illiterate on this stuff, but as we look back, it is spam after spam after spam (almost always in the exact same thread). I will not use the right terminology here, but it is like they have identified software that will automatically register them, identified the "ip address" of the threads (through prior work), and simply hit a button and keep nailing us.

Brian
There are a lot of tools that spammers can use. Some of the best tools for blocking spam utilize non-machine-readable elements as part of the registration process, a.k.a. Captcha or Image verification. You can read more about Captcha at captcha.net. Sailnet's vBulletin forum software supports this and it would be a good first line of defense. For information on vBulletin's Image Verification module, go to the vBulletin Manual and search for "Image verification." Does sailnet use a registration confirmation email to authenticate new members? This is another mechanism that will block some (not all) spammers -- new members need to open an email from sailnet sent to the the email address they provided during registration and click a confirmation link to complete registration. Individually, either solution will cut down on spam -- combine both and you would have a pretty solid solution that would reduce the volume of spam you're seeing on the site. PM me if I can be of further help.

Chris
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 01-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
...Doesn't Sailnet's version of vBulletin have CAPTCHA support? Do CAPTCHA during registration and, on post submissions during the probation period, and you'll reduce the problem significantly. (Won't eliminate it, entirely, and CAPTCHA is a problem for the sight-impaired, but nothing is perfect.)....
I owe you a beer, Jim... You beat me to it regarding using CAPTCHA. The CAPTCHA site has some interesting new variants on CAPTCHA. One that's not on the site (but would be a pain to implement) might entail having people provide a mobile number and send an authentication code via SMS that the user would need to enter prior to their first post. Again, not perfect...
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 01-16-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Well,

I did a bit of research and just tried a new solution on our spammers. Let's see what happens the next several days!!!!

This will be our first shot!

- CD

PS Bringing on a new mod has a number of issues related to it that might not be apparent.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.