Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
CD...I've noticed that the spammers who do get through the software time and time again are the same ones (WOW and the Chinese guys) banning their names does not work as they just use new ones and then make their posts in multiples. You might have admin check on whether they are coming in from the same IP or have other teltalle signs since it seems that two entities comprise about 90% of the stuff that gets through and he may be able to isolate and kill them permanently with a little digging.
I also agree with the Captcha thoughts but that might take a bit more doing to implement.
Old 01-16-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I pulled the IP address (it is from Asia... what a suprise!!) and anyone with that IP is toast.

Let's see what happens the next few days.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
With reference to the suggestions that new procedures/software be put in place to validate new accounts -- it's a good suggestion but probably would not result in immediate relief from spam. Unfortunately, the spam-bots have already created loads of accounts that are just laying dormant waiting to be used for spam purposes.

One idea that had occurred to me was to allow the general membership to police the spam. Currently members report the post to the mods (if it didn't get caught by the filters), and we delete it when we get the report. If a button was added that allowed members to flag spam, maybe we could have it zapped automatically after a certain number of members reported it (say 5?). Anyone that abused the spam button (say, by reporting Sailaway's posts ) would go on a "vacation."

Just a thought....

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-16-2009

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
CD...I've noticed that the spammers who do get through the software time and time again are the same ones (WOW and the Chinese guys) banning their names does not work as they just use new ones and then make their posts in multiples. You might have admin check on whether they are coming in from the same IP or have other teltalle signs since it seems that two entities comprise about 90% of the stuff that gets through and he may be able to isolate and kill them permanently with a little digging.
I also agree with the Captcha thoughts but that might take a bit more doing to implement.
Did a little poking around... The sailnet implementation of vBulletin is running version 3.6.4. CAPTCHA (referred to as Image verification within vBulletin document) looks pretty straightforward and is managed through the Admin Control Panel vbulletin Options -> Image Settings. From the documentation...

Quote:
The vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > Image Settings setting group allows you to control how vBulletin processes images for uploading and handles image verification.

* Image Processing Library
vBulletin provides two options for manipulating attachment thumbnails, custom avatars, and profile pictures.

The first is GD, which is bundled with PHP 4.3.0 and later. GD supports the following file types: GIF, JPEG, and PNG.

The second supported library is ImageMagick v6 by ImageMagick Studio LLC. ImageMagick is an executable binary that must be installed at the server level to be called by PHP. Only the identify and convert binaries from ImageMagick are required by vBulletin. ImageMagick supports the following file types: GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP, TIFF, and PSD. ImageMagick also has better support for handling animated GIF.
* Image Verification Library
This is similar to the option above but it chooses the Image Manipulation Library for inline image verification. These verification images can be enabled for registration and the Contact Us forms. There are two options for GD. The first, "GD (Simple Font)" will use an internal GD font. The second, "GD (True Type Font)" will use the fonts located in the images/regimage/fonts directory of your forum. On some PHP installations the TTF font option will not work. If you have the TTF font option selected and are seeing no fonts, try the Simple Font option.
* Image Verification Options
There are several options that allow you to control the level of difficulty presented by the image verification.
* ImageMagick Binary Path
Path to the ImageMagick 6 binaries (convert and identify). Example:
Unix: /usr/local/bin/
Windows: C:\imagemagick\
Suggest taking a look -- may be far easier than you think. The vBulletin Manual is here vBulletin Manual -- be sure to specify the manual for version 3.6.4. (from the sailnet footer).
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 01-16-2009

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
...One idea that had occurred to me was to allow the general membership to police the spam. Currently members report the post to the mods (if it didn't get caught by the filters), and we delete it when we get the report. If a button was added that allowed members to flag spam, maybe we could have it zapped automatically after a certain number of members reported it (say 5?). Anyone that abused the spam button (say, by reporting Sailaway's posts ) would go on a "vacation."...
Good ideas -- I think the key for that to work is that a) a user can report any individual post just one time; and b) perhaps a user needs to establish a post count of x or x number rep points before they can flag a post for deletion (otherwise they can report a post to the mods).

Or since SD seems for be online 24/7...
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 01-16-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I pulled the IP address (it is from Asia... what a suprise!!) and anyone with that IP is toast.

Let's see what happens the next few days.

Brian
Might have to block the entire class C subnet. usually banning 1 IP address doesn't do much

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 01-16-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgreenman View Post
Might have to block the entire class C subnet. usually banning 1 IP address doesn't do much
Gee.. I've just realized that I'm surrounded by geeks at work AND on Sailnet!

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 01-16-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
hehe We're taking over the world

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 01-16-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Are you guys saying that all those Chinese characters aren't advertising for Catalina? I thought that was just part of the new sailnet advert program.
Old 01-16-2009
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
[QUOTE=JohnRPollard;433036 Anyone that abused the spam button (say, by reporting Sailaway's posts ) .[/QUOTE]

but aren't his posts legitimate SPAM?

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.