SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Announcements and Suggestions Box (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/)
-   -   Y'all Need A New or Another Mod (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/50557-yall-need-new-another-mod.html)

SEMIJim 01-16-2009 07:56 AM

Y'all Need A New or Another Mod

Twice w/in the last week I logged-on and hit "New Posts," only to find the results dominated by spam.

IMO, Sailnet needs either a new mod, or another mod, that will either be up earlier, stay up later, or be in a different time zone, such as Europe or Australia.

Jim

werebeagle 01-16-2009 08:32 AM

did you report said posts? It doesn't matter what time zone they're in, you can't expect a mod to read all posts.

WouldaShoulda 01-16-2009 08:39 AM

I never experienced that problem myself.

I must be logging in after clean up!!

SEMIJim 01-16-2009 09:01 AM

I've reported the 1st one, each time. I go to report the 2nd and get told "you must wait 60 seconds to email," and decide the spammers have already wasted enough of my time and give up.

Jim

NOLAsailing 01-16-2009 09:07 AM

Most MODS are volunteers and it is a LOT of work, particularly on an active forum. Try not to be too critical. It's not like we see a lot of spam here.

SEMIJim 01-16-2009 09:30 AM

I don't see as how I was being "critical." I am pointing-out a problem and suggesting a solution. Being as I moderate, elsewhere (and in a venue considerably more contentious then Sailnet, believe me), I'm well-aware of what moderation is all about.

Jim

bubb2 01-16-2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim (Post 432782)

IMO, Sailnet needs either a new mod, or another mod,

Jim

Lets, be careful what we wish for.:D

N0NJY 01-16-2009 09:39 AM

Funny. I don't get spam on MY site... at all. Once in a great while we will get a single poster that posts some crap - but we don't get the "Buy NEW WATCHS CHEAPT" crap (and yes, spelled it like that on purpose) lol

CLucas 01-16-2009 09:58 AM

The mods have a tough job -- most of the time it's a thankless task. When it's going well, nobody notices them; when things slip through, there's a rebellion... There are throttles in place to limit the number of posts/emails that can be sent within a given time period -- while it can be frustrating to those of us (myself included) who want to report spam, it's there specifically to prevent to behavior none of us want to see.

The most effective moderation solutions I have seen involve hot word lists that filter posts and, if certain terms appear in the post, assign it to a queue to be reviewed by a moderator (the post is live until it is either approved by the moderator or rejected and deleted). Context is difficult to automate -- I think we've roll our eyes a bit when "seacock" get asterisked to "sea****". I can call someone an ass (or an AFOC), but you can't tell them to shove their seacock up their... (you get the picture). Moderation is a thankless task -- sometimes they seem heavy-handed and other times non-existant. They do great job 99.9% of the time, IMO -- especially for the compensation they receive.

NOLAsailing 01-16-2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim (Post 432829)
I don't see as how I was being "critical." I am pointing-out a problem and suggesting a solution. Being as I moderate, elsewhere (and in a venue considerably more contentious then Sailnet, believe me), I'm well-aware of what moderation is all about.

Jim

I think I misinterpreted your tone. I read it as a criticsm of the existing mods, rather than "Y'all need a new or another mod in addition to the current ones."