Sailnet Suggestion Box - Page 15 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #141  
Old 03-02-2012
Sailmon's Avatar
Yarr!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Sailmon is on a distinguished road
Why I use the Cruisers Forum Android app

I have both loaded on my machine. I find the sailnet program cumbersome to use. For one I must log in each time. This is not that sensitive a site. Second when I do actually remember my username/pwd and get in, screen real estate is hogged by menu bars, titles, notifications that wont go away, well one does only to tell me there's a connection error. There's only 60% of the screen remaining for actual viewing which is the point of visiting the site.
I ask will there be a major update to this program or should I just go with Cruisers Forum for the ease of use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #142  
Old 03-11-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: N. VA
Posts: 656
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Re: Sailnet Suggestion Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Thank you. That worked.
I logged off and back on and chat stayed off.
BTW, I think I figured out why Knothead's results differ from mine. Chat stays off if you keep cookies. I set my browser to delete cookies every time I close it, so I can automatically get rid of tracking cookies. As a result, chat does not stay off for me. YMMV.
__________________
T. P. Donnelly
S/V Tranquility Base
1984 Islander 30 Bahama
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #143  
Old 03-11-2012
administrator's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: maryland
Posts: 1,888
Thanks: 3
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 10
administrator has disabled reputation
Re: Why I use the Cruisers Forum Android app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmon View Post
I have both loaded on my machine. I find the sailnet program cumbersome to use. For one I must log in each time. This is not that sensitive a site. Second when I do actually remember my username/pwd and get in, screen real estate is hogged by menu bars, titles, notifications that wont go away, well one does only to tell me there's a connection error. There's only 60% of the screen remaining for actual viewing which is the point of visiting the site.
I ask will there be a major update to this program or should I just go with Cruisers Forum for the ease of use?

"For one I must log in each time."

this is not true. There is a check box in the upper right hand corner of this screen that allows you to "remember login".

I hope this is of help to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #144  
Old 03-11-2012
administrator's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: maryland
Posts: 1,888
Thanks: 3
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 10
administrator has disabled reputation
Re: Sailnet Suggestion Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
BTW, I think I figured out why Knothead's results differ from mine. Chat stays off if you keep cookies. I set my browser to delete cookies every time I close it, so I can automatically get rid of tracking cookies. As a result, chat does not stay off for me. YMMV.
yes - this is true

unless you're using a computer in a cyber cafe there's no need to delete the cookies for Sailnet. There is no real personal information saved here nor is there credit card information on sailnet so there's no need to delete your cookies.

thus: you will not have to re-login every time your visit and your chat preferences will be saved in you leave cookies intact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #145  
Old 03-12-2012
Patient's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 95
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 6
Patient is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailnet Suggestion Box

I have a few suggestions:

Forum layout
I would love a 3 column layout with perhaps 100-200 more pixels in the center.
On the 3rd column (Right side perhaps) I'd like to see some useful forum utilities such as:
  • Popular posts
  • Shoutbox
  • Chat Tab
  • Friendslist

Using Firefox on a 1280 x 800 screen I see a lot of unused real estate that could better serve the Sailnet community. I have some HUGE empty margins and a rather condensed center column.

SailNet Chat options
Any way you could use something that is compatible with an IRC client of some kind? I would love to be able to chat via my phone or other means. envolve.com offers a really neat client, I like what we have so far, but a few different connection options would be really nice.

Thanks a ton, I LOVE this place btw!

Last edited by Patient; 03-12-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #146  
Old 03-13-2012
administrator's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: maryland
Posts: 1,888
Thanks: 3
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 10
administrator has disabled reputation
Re: Sailnet Suggestion Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient View Post
I have a few suggestions:

Forum layout
I would love a 3 column layout with perhaps 100-200 more pixels in the center.
On the 3rd column (Right side perhaps) I'd like to see some useful forum utilities such as:
  • Popular posts
  • Shoutbox
  • Chat Tab
  • Friendslist

Using Firefox on a 1280 x 800 screen I see a lot of unused real estate that could better serve the Sailnet community. I have some HUGE empty margins and a rather condensed center column.

SailNet Chat options
Any way you could use something that is compatible with an IRC client of some kind? I would love to be able to chat via my phone or other means. envolve.com offers a really neat client, I like what we have so far, but a few different connection options would be really nice.

Thanks a ton, I LOVE this place btw!

thanks for the recommendations. we are considering all of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #147  
Old 03-15-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lisle, NY
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
FlyingScot255 is on a distinguished road
Sailnet forums are becoming more useful as more people participate. I haven't used this forum much, primarily because three years ago when I first started using it, I wasn't finding answers I needed and I had problems locating my posts days after I'd posted them. I just learned from Knothead that I can go to CP to find my threads. The only way I see to do this is as follows:

CLICK: Control Panel (CP) then scroll down to: IN BOLD: "There are no subscribed threads to display in this folder for this time period." then in tiny print under that: "View all subscribed threads" I CLICK that to view the threads I've created.

It seems rather obscure but I'm thankful there's a quick way to find threads and possible posts I've made. However, I'm a Facebook user and prefer the FB ap and I don't see any way of quickly viewing my threads and posts on FB. Can a programming change be made?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #148  
Old 03-16-2012
Faster's Avatar
Just another Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 15,346
Thanks: 88
Thanked 242 Times in 233 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sailnet Suggestion Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot255 View Post
Sailnet forums are becoming more useful as more people participate. I haven't used this forum much, primarily because three years ago when I first started using it, I wasn't finding answers I needed and I had problems locating my posts days after I'd posted them. I just learned from Knothead that I can go to CP to find my threads. The only way I see to do this is as follows:

CLICK: Control Panel (CP) then scroll down to: IN BOLD: "There are no subscribed threads to display in this folder for this time period." then in tiny print under that: "View all subscribed threads" I CLICK that to view the threads I've created.

It seems rather obscure but I'm thankful there's a quick way to find threads and possible posts I've made. However, I'm a Facebook user and prefer the FB ap and I don't see any way of quickly viewing my threads and posts on FB. Can a programming change be made?

If you want to find all the posts YOU made and/or threads you started, you can do that from your public profile. Click on your user name on a thread, and click on show all statistics and there will be a link for a search of all the threads/posts you've made. That may be quicker than the method you've described.

btw this works for anyone, if you want to chase down a thread/post by any particular user here..
__________________
Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #149  
Old 03-16-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,157
Thanks: 13
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 5
cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailnet Suggestion Box

Although the initial loading of the homepage is within reason, it seems to take forever for all the scripts on that page to load.

What compounds the issue these scripts apparently are reloaded when one opens a new page. It makes the site very unusalbe, and although I do visit it daily, and have posted, it leaves me frustrated each time.

If one looks at Cruisers & Sailing Forums or Yachting and Boating World Forums the loading is much, much faster.

As example, it is an exercise in some frustration to wait for the drop down of the "New Posts" function on this site, were as the above are quick and clean.

Has no one else looked at this on the maintenance side?
__________________


Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #150  
Old 03-16-2012
administrator's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: maryland
Posts: 1,888
Thanks: 3
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 10
administrator has disabled reputation
Re: Sailnet Suggestion Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Although the initial loading of the homepage is within reason, it seems to take forever for all the scripts on that page to load.

What compounds the issue these scripts apparently are reloaded when one opens a new page. It makes the site very unusalbe, and although I do visit it daily, and have posted, it leaves me frustrated each time.

If one looks at Cruisers & Sailing Forums or Yachting and Boating World Forums the loading is much, much faster.

As example, it is an exercise in some frustration to wait for the drop down of the "New Posts" function on this site, were as the above are quick and clean.

Has no one else looked at this on the maintenance side?
I just ran a test on both of those forums and cleared my browser cache ahead of time to make sure results were fair.

Both of the forums averaged 5 to 6 seconds to display a page from the time I pressed the enter key. Sailnet averaged 4 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refrigeration—Part I Tom Wood Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 04-28-2003 09:00 PM
SailNet on the Move SailNet Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 09-16-2002 09:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.