Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009

nuffoftexas is on a distinguished road
Deleting Post / Thread

I still can't figure out if I'm to post suggestions, questions, or complaints in this thread or to this forum. So here is my question - why can't I delete a post that was a new thread I started? Perhaps after posting I realized I was in the wrong forum. Perhaps upon a second reading of my post I realized it was a futile or bad idea i.e., offering services gratis. Perhaps after meds kicked in I realized I was venting unnecessarily, or upon a second reading I realized nothing good could possibly result. Perhaps my large fingers on little laptop keyboard hit the submit button before I was ready to commit my thoughts as public. Etc., etc. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuffoftexas View Post
Why.....
I just really, really need to get a boat and get off these boards. Sorry to be a pain. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuffoftexas View Post
I still can't figure out if I'm to post suggestions, questions, or complaints in this thread or to this forum. So here is my question - why can't I delete a post that was a new thread I started? Perhaps after posting I realized I was in the wrong forum. Perhaps upon a second reading of my post I realized it was a futile or bad idea i.e., offering services gratis. Perhaps after meds kicked in I realized I was venting unnecessarily, or upon a second reading I realized nothing good could possibly result. Perhaps my large fingers on little laptop keyboard hit the submit button before I was ready to commit my thoughts as public. Etc., etc. Thanks.
You can delete a post, but not a thread. To do that, send a note to the moderators. For instance, if you inadvertently double-post a thread (happens sometimes when the system is running slowly, and you press "submit" twice; or you decide you've posted to the wrong forum and re-post in the correct forum), let us know and we'll clean it up if we haven't already.

However, once a thread gets going and others have posted replies to it, it would have to be pretty unusual circumstances for us to remove the thread. But if it's a double posted thread, we'll delete one or merge them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2009

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
hi guys, something is screwy with the article 'Safer Sleeping'. it's like it got crossed with one about cruising wardrobe...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 10-22-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafinadh View Post
hi guys, something is screwy with the article 'Safer Sleeping'. it's like it got crossed with one about cruising wardrobe...
Sarah,
I can't find said article...where is it ?
TD

aH...there it is....weird.....no idea what happened there.....long time ago, not sure if it can be fixed but I'll see what can be done.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 10-22-2009 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-28-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Hi Ed,

After signing in, you can see all the new posts since your last visit by selecting the drop down menu "New Posts". Or you can go to "Quick Links" and select only "Today's Posts".

Give it a try and let us know if this answers your issue.
Thanks John,

This doesn't quite achieve what I was looking for. I don't want to see every post since my last visit, just the most recent 15, or so.

Not having the last 15 posts on the landing page isn't a big deal, but is was a feature that I liked. (I guess that I'm too lazy to scan every new post.) And, I believe that it improved the appearance of the Sailnet landing page.

- Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 10-28-2009

sevent is on a distinguished road
Is there some way we can highlight the age of a post if it beyond, say 6 months or a year. So often we happen upon a thread via a search, and don't immediately realize the OP started years ago. Perhaps it can change color or font each year? Thanks though. Great site.
Old 10-28-2009

I'm with you on these suggestions about recent posts however, how about a link to the 10 or 15 recent threads. As suggested above about old posts, we have probably read all we want to see about a particular thread and don't care to filter through more posts on the same subject. I feel a link for recent threads would be much more efficient for readers. If there is an old thread they want to track or keep up with, there are tools available to do that. But I haven't really found a quick way to see just new threads. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Thanks Roger,

Per my original post to this thread, addressed by JohnRPollard, Sailnet used to show the 15 threads with the most recent posts on the landing page. For some reason the admin's. changed it to the 5 threads with most recent posts... (I should have said "threads" - so that it read; "I don't want to see every thread with a new post since my last visit, just the most recent 15, or so.")

I think that you and I are requesting the same thing.

- Ed

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-28-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2009

Jaywalker is on a distinguished road
When people posy pics in a thread, the edges stretch way beyond the screen width, so we have to scroll back and forth for each line of text. How about the Moderators asking people to edit the width of their photos and images when they post them? It's easy enough to do on the photo hosting sites like Photobucket, and it would make the entire thread more readable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaywalker For This Useful Post:
norahs arc (01-29-2014)