Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
When people posy pics in a thread, the edges stretch way beyond the screen width, so we have to scroll back and forth for each line of text. How about the Moderators asking people to edit the width of their photos and images when they post them? It's easy enough to do on the photo hosting sites like Photobucket, and it would make the entire thread more readable.
This does happen occasionally.... I haven't seen it much lately but I suspect that the effect will be different depending on your monitor's resolution settings. I leave my photobucket pics as they are saved, and have not seen the 'overwide' effect with my pictures. I'm at 1280x1024 on a non-wide-screen format.

One would hope the OPs realize the issue once they post (but again probably depends on their monitor/view) and fix it themselves. I agree it's irksome.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Hi Ed,

After signing in, you can see all the new posts since your last visit by selecting the drop down menu "New Posts". Or you can go to "Quick Links" and select only "Today's Posts".

Give it a try and let us know if this answers your issue.
Follow up

For the last month, or so, I've been viewing SailNet through the "New Posts" link under the User CP (top left on the landing page). I like it!

Thanks JRP!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 01-05-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie5961 View Post
I have asked a few times, but I think that it's gotten lost in the midst of so many good suggestions in the box.

Could you please add a "Contest" link to the list of builders along with the others?

Being a Dutch boat, there are very little gathering places for information on the boats (or at least in English). There is an owners site with a forum in dutch, but nothing in English. There is much lost in translation with google translate. It would make a big difference in searching, research, and I would be very grateful.

Thanks for doing such a great job with this site!
Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry if I missed it previously.

From time to time we receive requests for adding certain builders to the list. Some of them were once very popular brands. Some others are obscure, defunct, limited production, or otherwise not well-known. Some of those very same ones have dedicated websites that serve the owners better than we ever could here.

However, we are not necessarily against adding more builders to our list if there is a real interest in doing so. What we usually do is ask that the requester start a thread, referencing the brand of boat by name, and asking folks to post to that thread if they would be interested in a dedicated sub-forum. In this way, we can gauge how deep the interest runs.

Failing that, we do have an "Orphan Brands" sub-forum, and there's nothing to prevent anyone from starting a thread there dedicated to their brand. If it becomes a very active thread over a long period, that would also be an indication of the need for a dedicated sub-forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-07-2010

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
How about running a photo competition every month? You could either just set a theme each month, or run two categories (one for sailing related and the other general photos). Only restrictions are the photos must have been taken by you in the current month. Let people vote at the end of the month to find winners. You could then either look at small prizes or just kudos for the winner.
Just a suggestion like and was always good fun on an old 4x4 forum I used to be involved with.

Old 01-16-2010

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Documentation and Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry if I missed it previously.
Hi, John

We had an interesting discussion last night at the annual meeting/dinner of our owners association. Basically, we'd like to digitize remaining manuals, tech documentation and plans before they are lost, and provide them to owners and future owners. It's part of the way we can help aging sailboats retain their value for current and future owners.

I know that in the model-specific forums there's discussion of manuals (like in the Tartan area), but also it may be that pdfs can't be uploaded now.

You might consider this. For older sailboats, I'm not sure if there would be copyright issues if owners scanned their existing documentation to share with others. Maybe there could be a forum devoted to that here to keep it in one, search-able place.

I had very interesting original documentation with my 1972 C&C 27 that I wish I would have scanned and posted. It was correspondence with the original owner about specialized sail recommendations and performance enhancements. I doubt that were would have been any problems about posting it, especially if I blanked out the names of any individuals.

Just a thought-- a lot of us own older sailboats, many from companies that no longer exist. Putting out more copies of these original documents isn't a bad idea overall.

(I started this as a pm to you, but I think your box is full!)

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

Old 01-18-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
Hi, John

We had an interesting discussion last night at the annual meeting/dinner of our owners association. Basically, we'd like to digitize remaining manuals, tech documentation and plans before they are lost, and provide them to owners and future owners. It's part of the way we can help aging sailboats retain their value for current and future owners.

I know that in the model-specific forums there's discussion of manuals (like in the Tartan area), but also it may be that pdfs can't be uploaded now.

You might consider this. For older sailboats, I'm not sure if there would be copyright issues if owners scanned their existing documentation to share with others. Maybe there could be a forum devoted to that here to keep it in one, search-able place.

I had very interesting original documentation with my 1972 C&C 27 that I wish I would have scanned and posted. It was correspondence with the original owner about specialized sail recommendations and performance enhancements. I doubt that were would have been any problems about posting it, especially if I blanked out the names of any individuals.

Just a thought-- a lot of us own older sailboats, many from companies that no longer exist. Putting out more copies of these original documents isn't a bad idea overall.

(I started this as a pm to you, but I think your box is full!)
Jim,

That is a good suggestion. I do not know what capability we have to host that sort of material (remember, I'm the guy who can barely figure out e-mail), but I will ask Admin and see if it's within the realm of possibility.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-22-2010
Crow

crow551 is on a distinguished road
Old threads and posts

I have noticed that there is a problem on this board. People keep responding to old threads. I think that the reason for this is two fold. First of all it is difficult to see the posting dates. Secondly there is just way too much old information on the board. It may be time to start removing some of the older less valuable threads and posts.
Old 02-04-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey mods - is there any way to start bumping some of the articles - maybe weekly. In my vein of interest, there are lots of great Seamanship articles by John Rousmaniere that are kind of buried - and they're locked, so no way to comment or bump them.

Maybe you guys could cycle articles from each of the sections so in a "Featured Articles" area of the forum so they'd be a more dynamic part of SN. Yeah, some of them are older articles, but for the most part they cover info that all of us need to know. It's a hugely valuable resource I think.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-13-2010

oldironnut is on a distinguished road
I often have problems replying to a particular post, as others obviouly do. I read the comment or request for help. When I reply to it and they get back to me, It is often a comment that is meant for someone else. When do I use "post reply" or "quick reply". If I take too long composing my reply and someone else finishes their post first am I replying to thier post instead?
Also could you please explain the use of "quote". I just need a little practice, I'll get it right eventually
Old 03-19-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldironnut View Post
I often have problems replying to a particular post, as others obviouly do. I read the comment or request for help. When I reply to it and they get back to me, It is often a comment that is meant for someone else. When do I use "post reply" or "quick reply". If I take too long composing my reply and someone else finishes their post first am I replying to thier post instead?
Also could you please explain the use of "quote". I just need a little practice, I'll get it right eventually

Wow..No one helped you?..OK I came by to post my own question but here goes.

You see how I got your post to be highlighted in blue?...I did that just by hitting the "Quote " button...Thats it...no need to hit anything else except the "Submit Reply" button on the page bottom when your done typing...Piece of cake..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.