Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
Good thing I use Linux! The only thing I get pop ups on is a "box.php". I figured it was some kind of bug with firefox and linux though??? It comes up when I mouse over things generally.
i knew i did a good thing converting to linux!!!! killeded windows ded in this lappy ..lol getting far fewer bad messages !!! love it!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Don't get too confident about Linux protecting you. Linux is just another version of UNIX, and as CERT, SAN, and DoD will all tell you, all versions of UNIX are as vulnerable and subject to attack as DOS and Windows versions are.

In fact there was a recent article demonstrating a couple of doen big flaws in the new Apple OS (which is also a version of UNIX) and explaining that the reason they may not be attacked as much, is simply that it is a minor OS with only 8-9% of the public market share, so it isn't worth any attention from most of the malware sources. That does NOT make it secure.

Windows and Linux are about equally secure--IF you actually know the OS and how to secure it. Thinking your OS itself is secure? Is a sign you're going to get hacked, because you don't know the flaws in it.

Try the Shield's Up! test page at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 to see if your system comes anywhere near being secured.

SpinRite has been ages for decades, GRC's reputation is absolutely sterling and always has been.
Old 04-11-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that info... I also ran the shields up testing and passed with all flying colors (former DoD paranoia does it every time). That was comforting news!
Old 04-11-2010

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
I also got the fake warning of a virus and then some virus software wanted to scan my computer. Ofcourse I said no, but it started to anyway. I tried to close it but, no use. Restarted and was still there, did a restore to a previous day to get rid of it and that worked(had to boot into safemode or the virus loaded and won't let you go to restore). I got the first one when looking at photos on the members section second time while just looking through new threads. I am running norton but it did not catch it. Sorry don't have more specfics but if you get it browser will only go to the antvirus site. Glad I did not have to reload windows the restore point in xp worked but again you have to boot into safe mode and restore to previous restrore point from there.
Old 04-11-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwateronly View Post
I also got the fake warning of a virus and then some virus software wanted to scan my computer. Ofcourse I said no, but it started to anyway. I tried to close it but, no use. Restarted and was still there, did a restore to a previous day to get rid of it and that worked(had to boot into safemode or the virus loaded and won't let you go to restore). I got the first one when looking at photos on the members section second time while just looking through new threads. I am running norton but it did not catch it. Sorry don't have more specfics but if you get it browser will only go to the antvirus site. Glad I did not have to reload windows the restore point in xp worked but again you have to boot into safe mode and restore to previous restrore point from there.
Couple of points...

PopUp windows that ask you for a yes or no are invariably bogus. Whether you hit Yes or No the action will be the same. The only way to be safe is to close the window. Ctrl/Alt/Dlt or shut down your browser.

Norton couldn't catch a cold let alone a half way decent virus.

In regard to this issue overall....it is impossible to track down problems like this unless we have a reference to thread and preferably post.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-11-2010
Banned

SW329xl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Couple of points...

PopUp windows that ask you for a yes or no are invariably bogus. Whether you hit Yes or No the action will be the same. The only way to be safe is to close the window. Ctrl/Alt/Dlt or shut down your browser.

Norton couldn't catch a cold let alone a half way decent virus.

In regard to this issue overall....it is impossible to track down problems like this unless we have a reference to thread and preferably post.
Actually your SAs (Systems admins) should be able to write a ****** to comb through all the posts in the system and purge them of any infected posts. At the same time, you need to make sure that the infection did not come internally from one of the devs or SAs, where it might be infecting the Vbulletin code.

Have done this for a number of clients, it is pretty straightforward.

Should definitely be done soon, since Google might start dinging your SEO ranking if it detects the infections on your site.
Old 04-11-2010

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
First off fuzzy, I did not post to tell you to fix it just was trying to help. Your tone was not called for seems you are a bit on edge or something about this.
Old 04-11-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Okay, so linux isn't secure, but since each distro has less than 1% of the OS market, can't we expect there to be about zero viruses written for it?

I think you are right, linux is no more secure than windows. However, linux does get less malware, adware, spyware, popups, and viruses. Just because there aren't as many written for it.

So pragmatically, even though it is less secure, it is also less at risk.
Old 04-11-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
anything is from Google may have a redirecting virus ( unrelated search windows will start popping up) Clicking on anything that looks like a warning or some anti virus that you don't have may have a "rootkit" virus. most Antivirus programs can't find them once they get on your HD. I had to get another HD. these things are way beyond the average users abitilty to remove. I certainly don't have the skills.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwateronly View Post
First off fuzzy, I did not post to tell you to fix it just was trying to help. Your tone was not called for seems you are a bit on edge or something about this.
Oi, now hang on there a moment or two.....I havn't accused you of anything whatsoever. Twernt nuffink in my post that in any way shape or form was negative towards you....nuffink I say....not guilty m'lud.

Seriously, I wasn't giving you a hard time, not at all. Merely pointing out that (if you didn't know already) clicking anywhere on a pop up is likely to kick start the little bugger and on top of that Norton is rubbish. It is too you know? Utter crap. Once was wonderful but alas no more. An over priced resources hog that is out performed by a bunch of free stuff you can download from Cnet.

So..sorry for offending but it was never my intention. Indeed even rereading my previous post I cannot quite see what you are getting at. Guess I should have inserted a plethora of smileys.

Cheers

td

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.