Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
tager-
Every time I've checked, CERT and SANS and all the other top-level names say that UNIX systems are attacked on an equal basis with Windows. "However, linux does get less " You may get less of one thing or another, but every time you conect to the internet, there are folks scanning the DSL IP pools, the cable IP pools, and even the dial-up IP address pools, looking for machine to hack into. Wrong OS for that hacker? No problem, they'll sell you IP address to someone who can use it and work with your OS. This is big business, probably on a par with sex slavery and drugs. The ****** kiddie next door is the least of the problems.

Of course a lot of the problems can be stopped if the neophyte in front of the computer just read up and engaged security options. That means no Adobe Flash Player (a security risk conveniently packaged with entertainment options), no active ****** technologies, and a whole batch of "NO!" options engaged in most browers. And nuisances like UAE enabled in Vista and Win7 systems.

Or there's the easier solution: Get hacked, run a zombie, and get shut down by your ISP. Some folks are screaming bloody murder about that--but I'd just as soon see those folks simply banned from the internet for a year or two. That might get their attention and stop their "reckless driving" habits.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus View Post
Hello all

I am currently running google chrome for my browser, and it came up with the following msg when I tried to visit sailnet. Any reason to be concerned?

Just got the same warning screen in Chrome after hitting "New Posts". Here's the offending site:

rek.twilightparadox.com

Same as the one in the pic above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-13-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Just got the same warning screen in Chrome after hitting "New Posts". Here's the offending site:

rek.twilightparadox.com

Same as the one in the pic above.
I've now had that same warning window pop up several times on Safari.

Folks, I have sent an urgent note to Admin to take a look at this. Hopefully we'll here back soon. Apologies.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-13-2010
Banned

SW329xl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I've now had that same warning window pop up several times on Safari.

Folks, I have sent an urgent note to Admin to take a look at this. Hopefully we'll here back soon. Apologies.
Just got this message for the first time. It appears to be very intermittent. In refreshing the same page/thread, the warning disappeared. The bad ****** is not called directly by the page, but appears to be getting pulled in through another ****** that the page pulls in. I did not get a chance to isolate what ****** is pulling in the bad one, but my first guess (just a guess) would be some ad unit that runs periodically. Second guess would be the damn visistat code, and they have an infection in a single server within their cluster. Third guess, you have one server in a cluster which is infected in your own environment.
Old 04-13-2010
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
there are only two servers in our cluster. both are scanned daily for any viruses and are clean. The problem occurs from scumbags posting messages with nasty links.

I will tighten up the registration process over the nest few days to check a database of known spammers before they're allowed to register.

this should correct the situation and at the same time we'll remove the visitat code to see if that helps at all.
Old 04-13-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Thanks, Admin!!

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-14-2010
Banned

SW329xl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
there are only two servers in our cluster. both are scanned daily for any viruses and are clean. The problem occurs from scumbags posting messages with nasty links.

I will tighten up the registration process over the nest few days to check a database of known spammers before they're allowed to register.

this should correct the situation and at the same time we'll remove the visitat code to see if that helps at all.
Cool. You might want to look at using Akismet or Mollom to filter postings as well. They are incredibly effective at stopping spam and malware from getting into the system. It looks like there is an existing plug in for Akismet. I know there have been requests for a Mollom plugin (my personal preference), however I don't think one exists yet.

Akismet Anti-Spam - vBulletin.org Forum

When I viewed the same page twice, I would get malware warnings only some of the time. In the past that has pointed to something that rotates naturally such as ads or servers in the cluster, however it could certainly be just the nature of the malware in this case as well.

In any case, thanks for the work cleaning it up and locking the bad guys out. Fighting this stuff is always a pita and rarely recognized.