Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010

Grcesq is on a distinguished road
Can someone please explain this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Top Secret

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

No, seriously, it's an arcane formula based on longevity, post-count, and "rep" awarded by fellow members. To be honest, I don't think anyone knows exactly how it's calculated/weighted (kind of like the electoral college ). But essentially it rewards participation and quality content.

Over time, you end up with some combination of green squares and a "rep" number. Again, I'm not sure exactly what the relation is between the two, and frankly it's not all that important either.

You can reward another member for an especially helpful post, by giving them extra "rep". To do that, you click on the little "scales of justice" icon in the bar above their post. You can leave a comment too, if you'd like, or just a quick thank you. But you can't consistently give just a few people rep power. If you try to, you will be told by a pop-up dialogue box that you need to "spread some rep" around before giving more to the same person.

We used to have something called "negative rep", which allowed folks to ding other members for posts they didn't like. Sometimes it was justified, but we ended up getting rid of negative rep, because some of the grumpier members were habitually abusing it. But you can still still see where some members accumulated quite a bit of negative rep -- instead of a green square by their rep power they have a red square.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about rep power. But a final comment: When you award rep to another member, it is done anonymously, unless you leave a note and sign it (which is a nice way to do it, so they know that you appreciated their help). BUT, moderators can always see who awarded the rep or left the comment, so it isn't untraceable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-22-2010
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Thanks for asking the question and getting an answer. I was also curious and glad it came up on a search!
Old 07-16-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Sounds kind of like ataboys.marc
Old 07-18-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

...You can reward another member for an especially helpful post, by giving them extra "rep". To do that, you click on the little "scales of justice" icon in the bar above their post. You can leave a comment too, if you'd like, or just a quick thank you. ...
I am

I thought the system was not working. I have stoped to give rep points to helpful posts because I was seeing that I was given points and the rep of that member was not changing.

Can you clarify this? Am I wrong about this?

Regards

Paulo
Old 07-18-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I am

I thought the system was not working. I have stoped to give rep points to helpful posts because I was seeing that I was given points and the rep of that member was not changing.

Regards

Paulo
To clear up some confusion: Yes I believe that the REP system works, but do not believe that there is a 1 to 1 relationship between the number of "thank you"s to the number of points that are displayed. Also, I suspect that there is a time delay. So that even if your rep point was the one to get a user to the next level, it might take a day, or two, before the number changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 07-18-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I am

Regards

Paulo

Paulo,

The green boxes are how fast you have earned or earn your rep points. The number is based on the quality/likability of your posts as others vote for your rep power. I think it is possiby a 10:1 or higher ratio to move up one point. So ten people would need to vote for your rep before you move up another point.

We also have this feature at Sailboatowners but don't use it.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-18-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Paulo,

The green boxes are how fast you have earned or earn your rep points. The number is based on the quality/likability of your posts as others vote for your rep power. I think it is possiby a 10:1 or higher ratio to move up one point. So ten people would need to vote for your rep before you move up another point.

We also have this feature at Sailboatowners but don't use it.
I am used to work with the system in other Foruns.

But normally each member, with a vote, increases at least one point.

Members with more reputation increase by one vote, several points.

I seem to remember that I have read somewhere that each green point is the equivalent to 100 points.

If these are not the rules, can someone tell me what they are? Not that I mind about the Reps, but I mind not to know how it works , or if it works.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 07-18-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Bad English
Old 07-18-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
It's not based on gender or how many posts one makes.. Oh well maybe it is...

I've seen guys with less then a few dozen threads and they have higher ratings then the me... but who's counting? LOL

my current "project"!
Old 07-18-2010
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Testing, testing 1, 2, 3....test out.

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)