LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-09-2010 Thread Starter

Can someone please explain this?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-09-2010

Top Secret

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

No, seriously, it's an arcane formula based on longevity, post-count, and "rep" awarded by fellow members. To be honest, I don't think anyone knows exactly how it's calculated/weighted (kind of like the electoral college ). But essentially it rewards participation and quality content.

Over time, you end up with some combination of green squares and a "rep" number. Again, I'm not sure exactly what the relation is between the two, and frankly it's not all that important either.

You can reward another member for an especially helpful post, by giving them extra "rep". To do that, you click on the little "scales of justice" icon in the bar above their post. You can leave a comment too, if you'd like, or just a quick thank you. But you can't consistently give just a few people rep power. If you try to, you will be told by a pop-up dialogue box that you need to "spread some rep" around before giving more to the same person.

We used to have something called "negative rep", which allowed folks to ding other members for posts they didn't like. Sometimes it was justified, but we ended up getting rid of negative rep, because some of the grumpier members were habitually abusing it. But you can still still see where some members accumulated quite a bit of negative rep -- instead of a green square by their rep power they have a red square.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about rep power. But a final comment: When you award rep to another member, it is done anonymously, unless you leave a note and sign it (which is a nice way to do it, so they know that you appreciated their help). BUT, moderators can always see who awarded the rep or left the comment, so it isn't untraceable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
post #3 of 21 Old 04-22-2010
Master & Commander

Thanks for asking the question and getting an answer. I was also curious and glad it came up on a search!

I've got blisters on my fingers
post #4 of 21 Old 07-16-2010

Sounds kind of like ataboys.marc
post #5 of 21 Old 07-18-2010
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

...You can reward another member for an especially helpful post, by giving them extra "rep". To do that, you click on the little "scales of justice" icon in the bar above their post. You can leave a comment too, if you'd like, or just a quick thank you. ...
I am

I thought the system was not working. I have stoped to give rep points to helpful posts because I was seeing that I was given points and the rep of that member was not changing.

Can you clarify this? Am I wrong about this?

Regards

Paulo
post #6 of 21 Old 07-18-2010
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I am

I thought the system was not working. I have stoped to give rep points to helpful posts because I was seeing that I was given points and the rep of that member was not changing.

Regards

Paulo
To clear up some confusion: Yes I believe that the REP system works, but do not believe that there is a 1 to 1 relationship between the number of "thank you"s to the number of points that are displayed. Also, I suspect that there is a time delay. So that even if your rep point was the one to get a user to the next level, it might take a day, or two, before the number changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
post #7 of 21 Old 07-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I am

Regards

Paulo

Paulo,

The green boxes are how fast you have earned or earn your rep points. The number is based on the quality/likability of your posts as others vote for your rep power. I think it is possiby a 10:1 or higher ratio to move up one point. So ten people would need to vote for your rep before you move up another point.

We also have this feature at Sailboatowners but don't use it.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #8 of 21 Old 07-18-2010
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Paulo,

The green boxes are how fast you have earned or earn your rep points. The number is based on the quality/likability of your posts as others vote for your rep power. I think it is possiby a 10:1 or higher ratio to move up one point. So ten people would need to vote for your rep before you move up another point.

We also have this feature at Sailboatowners but don't use it.
I am used to work with the system in other Foruns.

But normally each member, with a vote, increases at least one point.

Members with more reputation increase by one vote, several points.

I seem to remember that I have read somewhere that each green point is the equivalent to 100 points.

If these are not the rules, can someone tell me what they are? Not that I mind about the Reps, but I mind not to know how it works , or if it works.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 07-18-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Bad English
post #9 of 21 Old 07-18-2010
Oday30!

It's not based on gender or how many posts one makes.. Oh well maybe it is...

I've seen guys with less then a few dozen threads and they have higher ratings then the me... but who's counting? LOL

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #10 of 21 Old 07-18-2010

Testing, testing 1, 2, 3....test out.

"Let there be light!" said God, and there was light! "Let there be blood!" says man, and there's a sea!
Lord Byron, Don Juan

S/V Temptation
Islander 44
(Very non-production)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.