Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Asking what browser a person is using is a valid troubleshooting question. Some servers, due to the web daemon they are running and the various technologies they are using are known to have issues with some browsers. Only a Mircosoft fanboy moron would say that just because Microsoft illegally used it monopoly power to force a sorry piece of **** program like Internet Explorer on the vast majority of the computers, that it qualifies as a standard of any sort.

I'd point out that France and Germany—the countries—have issued warning about using IE in its various versions as major security risks. The fact that corporations have locked their configurations and force people to use IE is no excuse for the problems that IE has.

Yes, the majority of the problems on Sailnet are due to bottlenecking from the advertising servers that are used to generate the ads.

I am willing to bet that your company is a Microsoft partner and that many of the websites you've designed aren't W3C compliant and buggy as crap on something other than IE.
Okay - first, the site is slow. No doubt. It's slow on virtually every browser and platform known to modern man. And, it's the ad and analytics servers that cause the most disruption. So looking4 is right.

Granted FF with Adblock has been a great solution as far as I've seen. But, jeez, what a crock. For an ad-supported site to get bogged down so much by the golden eggs that you have to kill the goose? Time to look for another ad agency.

Beyond that, I've taken great pleasure in seeing terms like "moron", "shill", etc. bandied about. Nice and spicy gentlemen.

However, Dog, I must take you to task for the above personal attack. When you call someone a "Microsoft fanboy" you have not only crossed the line of sailing forum etiquette, but you have greatly embarrassed yourself as a code-ninja when you add to that injury the insult that "you are willing to bet" looking4's work is "buggy as crap" on non-IE platforms in light of the undeniable fact that IE still has the lion's share of the market. That's the sure sign of someone who codes open-source template websites for friends and family in their underwear (NTTAWWT) - not one who does real work for Fortune 500 companies.

I think someone owes someone an apology.

PS - Looking4wind - welcome to SN dude. Go post something about sailing will ya?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-07-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Okay guys, as previously mentioned, we know there's a problem and Admin has been trying to get it sorted. Again, I'm not computer savvy but my understanding is that the issue is not as easily solved as some here would seem to suggest.

Let's give it a rest, please.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-08-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
My point was I shouldn't HAVE to switch browsers to use this site.
And the stand on vessel shouldn't have to yield to the give way vessel, but sometime it must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
That mindset is just plain stupid...
Some might call it practical. (There are other reasons to shun IE, but you don't care so I won't bother.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4wind View Post
One of my biggest pet peeves is when a few people are having problems with a site, some moron has to chime in with "What browser are you using?".
Oddly enough: Sometimes switching browsers can "fix" a problem.

Quote:
I am a network engineer, ...
An MS-centric "network engineer" at an MS-Centric shop, from the looks of it.

Quote:
... this site has been SLOW!.

And slow on all platforms.

The problem is with the ads or the tracking (stats.ads.is). No question about it. Not IE, connection, or anything else.
That would appear to be the case.

Quote:
PS - IE7 and IE8 have about 70-80% of the market share. That makes it the DEFACTO STANDARD.
Well, I guessed that one right, didn't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Okay guys, as previously mentioned, we know there's a problem and Admin has been trying to get it sorted.
John, the problem is clearly with the some of the plethora of advert and advert-supporting sites SailNet is loading up with every page. I currently have three (3) domains in my ABP list, all of them as a result of visiting SN. In fact: It was the poor performance of SN, engendered by some of its adverts, that caused me to install Adblock Plus in the first place.

I rarely, if ever, have this problem at any of the other sites I visit. Some of them have very high traffic volumes, but manage to survive w/o trashing their sites with a bunch of adverts. A couple others have lots of adverts, but somehow seem to avoid the lousy advert servers that would drag their sites into the slow lane.

Jim
Old 08-08-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
John, the problem is clearly with the some of the plethora of advert and advert-supporting sites SailNet is loading up with every page. I currently have three (3) domains in my ABP list, all of them as a result of visiting SN. In fact: It was the poor performance of SN, engendered by some of its adverts, that caused me to install Adblock Plus in the first place.

I rarely, if ever, have this problem at any of the other sites I visit. Some of them have very high traffic volumes, but manage to survive w/o trashing their sites with a bunch of adverts. A couple others have lots of adverts, but somehow seem to avoid the lousy advert servers that would drag their sites into the slow lane.

Jim
Thanks Jim. It sounds as if your experience has been very similar to mine.

But I can't pretend to understand this topic the way all you guys posting to this thread seem to. When it comes to computers -- I'm way over my head on this stuff.

All I can do is reiterate that Admin is aware of the problem, and has been/is trying to cure it. Listening to you guys, it sure seems as though the fix should be relatively easy, but apparently for some reason it hasn't been. Maybe it's a question of legacy issues, or the size of the Sailnet database, or possibly even resources available to work the problem? I wish I could, but I just can't offer you an explanation.

We appreciate the comments/suggestions, and I want to assure everyone that we do pass ALL of them on to Admin. Beyond that, we'd ask for patience and apologize for the inconvenience.

Old 08-08-2010

looking4wind is on a distinguished road
Talk about getting off on the wrong foot. Looking back at my first post, I would sincerely like to apologize for its tone. I'm not sure what set me off yesterday, bad week I guess, but my use of "moron" is inexcusable and childish, so sorry to all it was directed at.

While I don't agree with some of the responses directed back at me, do feel they were somewhat justified given the tone of my first post.

Since admin is aware of the problem, I'm sure they are working to rectify it so we'll just have to show some patience! Something I was lacking yesterday!

Mark
Old 08-08-2010

Quote:
Talk about getting off on the wrong foot. Looking back at my first post, I would sincerely like to apologize for its tone. I'm not sure what set me off yesterday, bad week I guess, but my use of "moron" is inexcusable and childish, so sorry to all it was directed at.

While I don't agree with some of the responses directed back at me, do feel they were somewhat justified given the tone of my first post.

Since admin is aware of the problem, I'm sure they are working to rectify it so we'll just have to show some patience! Something I was lacking yesterday!

Mark
Mark,

Don't worry about it -- you showed real class in your second post. Great recovery!

Welcome to Sailnet!

Old 08-08-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

Mark
Goodonya looking4. I'm sure the guys responsible for those responses will be along shortly to show the same class.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-08-2010
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Yes, the majority of the problems on Sailnet are due to bottlenecking from the advertising servers that are used to generate the ads.

Yep.
Old 08-08-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
The use of "moron" isn't what troubled me.

It's all good in any case. Post something about sailing. ;-)
Old 08-08-2010

jackal41 is on a distinguished road
The only time I have a problem with this site I also have same problem with AS site as well. I use microsoft browser

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.