SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Announcements and Suggestions Box (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/)
-   -   computer problems at server?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/67100-computer-problems-server.html)

redhead78 08-06-2010 03:31 PM

computer problems at server??

Is something going on, problems with sailnet servers or something? I'm using a T-1, corporate connection, its lightning fast, lately I seem to be looking at a lot of blank screens for long periods.............Red

sailingdog 08-06-2010 03:46 PM

Would help if you said what browser and OS you're using.

therapy23 08-06-2010 04:12 PM

It ain't the browser.
It is the site.
No other sites have the same problem and the machine and the browser are the same.

Sorry, I just had to keep complaining cause I like the place and all but tire easily and go elsewhere.

TLombardi 08-06-2010 08:38 PM

I am a computer network engineer. We are the guys who can see everything that goes on within a network. We are also the guys who can stop traffic to sites that are not related to work. Have you checked with your IT guy lately to see if he is messing with you?

Capt Tony

davidpm 08-06-2010 09:21 PM

Depending on where you are located different sites are accessed through different routes that traverse various routers managed by the tier 1 telcos like MCI, etc.
It sometimes happens that a particular router may have a problem with a specific route.
This means that many, almost all websites will work fine for you but a few or even one will be sluggish for a while. They usually fix it themselves.
The troubleshooting process is beyond the scope of this forum, it starts with tracert.
If you have the relationship or authority to get the help of your IT person they can resolve it for you.

Zanshin 08-07-2010 09:49 AM

I have been experiencing slowdowns in SailNet from 3 different access points with different providers for quite a while now, it has gotten so bad that I hesitate to check the forum anymore - 30 second delays before the first forum screen even displays itself. I just assumed that it was all the advertising links or my accessing the domain from Europe. This delay is limited to SailNet, I have no problems with other sites.

p.s. I just posted this, then hit the browser's "back" button and waited over 30 seconds. 10 hops before I get to a hostmysite.net router in Newark which blocks off the trace, and ping is blocked off as well.

lydanynom 08-07-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhead78 (Post 629572)
Is something going on, problems with sailnet servers or something? I'm using a T-1, corporate connection, its lightning fast, lately I seem to be looking at a lot of blank screens for long periods.............Red

T1 is not exactly "lightning fast", relatively speaking. It's only 1.5 mbit/s. My cellphone transfers data that fast. Most consumer DSL and cable connections are many times faster.

speciald 08-07-2010 10:15 AM

I agree, load times are very slow no mater what speed my connectin is.

ffiill 08-07-2010 10:16 AM

Also find it problematic-just now I backed a page using my browser and it lost my sign in.Occasionally slow loading or freezes mid load.I am usually using it when US load on server is of a minimum as 5 hours ahead in time.Its a good site as far as I am concerned so willing to put up with its quirks

JohnRPollard 08-07-2010 10:32 AM

We've had a lot of discussion about this in recent months. The problem seems to be sporadic for some folks, and for a few others it seems to be chronic. Some browsers seem to be more afflicted than others.

I have experienced this problem myself, quite a bit lately, so I feel your frustration. I am a computer knucklehead, so I really can't offer any help. I can promise you that we have reported the problem to Admin, and that Admin has/is looking into it and trying to improve the situation.

One final comment: In my case, I seem to get especially bogged down on our somewhat older desktop computer. Things are noticeably better (but not 100%) on our quite recent laptop. Beyond the age of the machines, all else is equal.