SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Announcements and Suggestions Box (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/)
-   -   Moderators/Admin. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/67951-moderators-admin.html)

DelmarRey 09-03-2010 12:02 AM

Moderators/Admin.

1 Attachment(s)
Lately as I try to use the pull down menus the advertisement covers up the options. See picture below. Not sure if anyone else is having the same problem but it does seem to be a program error.

Thanks!
Del .........................................._/)

Stillraining 09-03-2010 12:23 AM

Been that way for awhile now for me as well Del...I made a comment also that after listening for two years about how slow the site was and i was not affected...I now are...some days its so bad I just stay at CF.

DelmarRey 09-03-2010 12:31 AM

Yeah I hear ya! It only took the time for me to check my email, check the tides, and the weather before this first post up loaded. :rolleyes:

MARC2012 09-03-2010 02:29 AM

Get firefox with adblock.site even faster.marc

Jeff_H 09-03-2010 07:49 AM

I have tried using FoxFire and that has not helped. The overlapping ad problem is worse and it seems to lock up the software fairly frequequently which it never did with IE. I'll send another note to Admin and see what can be done since this is pretty common website software and it does not seem to have these problems on other sites.

Jeff

SEMIJim 09-03-2010 07:56 AM

I had that problem with the version of Firefox I was using. Updated it to a later version: Problem solved.

Before then, the way I solved it was I turned off Flash, moused over the menu, saved the URL from that menu item and stuck it in my bookmarks, then used the bookmark. (At some point later I'd remember to turn Flash back on... eventually.)

Since then the advert site that serves those must've been one of the ones really slowing things down and it got added to my Adblock Plus list, because I see those not at all anymore.

Near as I can tell, the owners of SN don't much care if the adverts adversely affect the functionality of the site. There has been a nearly constant stream of valid (IMO) complaints, for a couple years, now, about how they really mess things up, but the site's owners keep doing it, anyway. *shrug* It's their site and it's free to us, so can't really bitch.

Jim

Jeff_H 09-03-2010 08:05 AM

"Near as I can tell, the owners of SN don't much care if the adverts adversely affect the functionality of the site."

That simply is not true that the owners of SailNet do not care much. There has been repeated and near continuous efforts by the SailNet Web Staff to address these issues, including dropping an adverstiser whose ads especially contributed to the problem.

Jeff

SEMIJim 09-03-2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H (Post 639969)
I have tried using FoxFire and that has not helped. The overlapping ad problem is worse and it seems to lock up the software fairly frequequently which it never did with IE.

I'm pretty sure you'll find the offending advert, in this case, is a Flash advert. So it would be the Flash plugin, which is, quite honestly, crap, that's fouling you up.

Update your Firefox installation to v3.6.something and check for an updated Adobe Flash plugin. If that still doesn't do it, get and install Adblock Plus, identify the site from which the Flash advert is originating, and add it to the list of blocked sites. But an updated Firefox and Flash plugin should fix the problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H (Post 639969)
I'll send another note to Admin and see what can be done since this is pretty common website software and it does not seem to have these problems on other sites.

Like I wrote in my previous post: It's their site and it's free to us, so it's hard to credibly bitch about it, but... yeah, Sailnet is the only site I've ever had such problems with so consistently. I have had/seen problems on other sites, but, usually, when users point out the problems the site's owners actually, you know, fix them. To Sailnet's owners: I guess the advert revenue trumps the functionality of the site, because they keep trashing the site with exceptionally brain-dead stuff. That's not a complaint, but an observation.

My point being: Go ahead and send another note to Admin, but don't hold your breath. (I suspect he doesn't really have any control over the situation. I suspect he's got clueless PHBs telling him "Do this. We don't wanna hear about problems.")

Jim

SEMIJim 09-03-2010 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H (Post 639978)
That simply is not true that the owners of SailNet do not care much.

Consistent problems, all the same or similar in nature, going on for ever since I've been here belie that assertion. This is the only site I visit, the only site I've ever visited, where the adverts have contributed so much noise, and so much malfunctioning, to the site. Bar none. This is the site that finally obliged me to install Adblock Plus and remains the only site whose adverts I've blocked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H (Post 639978)
There has been repeated and near continuous efforts by the SailNet Web Staff to address these issues, including dropping an adverstiser whose ads especially contributed to the problem.

Jeff, "owners" and "Admin/moderators" are not the same thing. There's no question but that the mods would have it differently. Probably "Admin," too. But neither the moderators nor, I suspect, Admin actually own Sailnet.

I am likewise obliged to do things, as an IT guy, that I believe are inadvisable, so I know how it works.

Jim

MARC2012 09-03-2010 09:04 AM

It is a shame that this site is so nonfunctional without fire fos and add block.mj