Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road
Moderators/Admin.

Lately as I try to use the pull down menus the advertisement covers up the options. See picture below. Not sure if anyone else is having the same problem but it does seem to be a program error.

Thanks!
Del .........................................._/)
Attached Thumbnails
Moderators/Admin.-screen-shot-2010-09-02.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Been that way for awhile now for me as well Del...I made a comment also that after listening for two years about how slow the site was and i was not affected...I now are...some days its so bad I just stay at CF.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 09-03-2010

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road
Yeah I hear ya! It only took the time for me to check my email, check the tides, and the weather before this first post up loaded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Get firefox with adblock.site even faster.marc
Old 09-03-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have tried using FoxFire and that has not helped. The overlapping ad problem is worse and it seems to lock up the software fairly frequequently which it never did with IE. I'll send another note to Admin and see what can be done since this is pretty common website software and it does not seem to have these problems on other sites.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 09-03-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
I had that problem with the version of Firefox I was using. Updated it to a later version: Problem solved.

Before then, the way I solved it was I turned off Flash, moused over the menu, saved the URL from that menu item and stuck it in my bookmarks, then used the bookmark. (At some point later I'd remember to turn Flash back on... eventually.)

Since then the advert site that serves those must've been one of the ones really slowing things down and it got added to my Adblock Plus list, because I see those not at all anymore.

Near as I can tell, the owners of SN don't much care if the adverts adversely affect the functionality of the site. There has been a nearly constant stream of valid (IMO) complaints, for a couple years, now, about how they really mess things up, but the site's owners keep doing it, anyway. *shrug* It's their site and it's free to us, so can't really bitch.

Jim
Old 09-03-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
"Near as I can tell, the owners of SN don't much care if the adverts adversely affect the functionality of the site."

That simply is not true that the owners of SailNet do not care much. There has been repeated and near continuous efforts by the SailNet Web Staff to address these issues, including dropping an adverstiser whose ads especially contributed to the problem.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 09-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I have tried using FoxFire and that has not helped. The overlapping ad problem is worse and it seems to lock up the software fairly frequequently which it never did with IE.
I'm pretty sure you'll find the offending advert, in this case, is a Flash advert. So it would be the Flash plugin, which is, quite honestly, crap, that's fouling you up.

Update your Firefox installation to v3.6.something and check for an updated Adobe Flash plugin. If that still doesn't do it, get and install Adblock Plus, identify the site from which the Flash advert is originating, and add it to the list of blocked sites. But an updated Firefox and Flash plugin should fix the problem.

Quote:
I'll send another note to Admin and see what can be done since this is pretty common website software and it does not seem to have these problems on other sites.
Like I wrote in my previous post: It's their site and it's free to us, so it's hard to credibly bitch about it, but... yeah, Sailnet is the only site I've ever had such problems with so consistently. I have had/seen problems on other sites, but, usually, when users point out the problems the site's owners actually, you know, fix them. To Sailnet's owners: I guess the advert revenue trumps the functionality of the site, because they keep trashing the site with exceptionally brain-dead stuff. That's not a complaint, but an observation.

My point being: Go ahead and send another note to Admin, but don't hold your breath. (I suspect he doesn't really have any control over the situation. I suspect he's got clueless PHBs telling him "Do this. We don't wanna hear about problems.")

Jim
Old 09-03-2010

Quote:
That simply is not true that the owners of SailNet do not care much.
Consistent problems, all the same or similar in nature, going on for ever since I've been here belie that assertion. This is the only site I visit, the only site I've ever visited, where the adverts have contributed so much noise, and so much malfunctioning, to the site. Bar none. This is the site that finally obliged me to install Adblock Plus and remains the only site whose adverts I've blocked.

Quote:
There has been repeated and near continuous efforts by the SailNet Web Staff to address these issues, including dropping an adverstiser whose ads especially contributed to the problem.
Jeff, "owners" and "Admin/moderators" are not the same thing. There's no question but that the mods would have it differently. Probably "Admin," too. But neither the moderators nor, I suspect, Admin actually own Sailnet.

I am likewise obliged to do things, as an IT guy, that I believe are inadvisable, so I know how it works.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 09-03-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
Old 09-03-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
It is a shame that this site is so nonfunctional without fire fos and add block.mj

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.