Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
oh cruisers forum and sailboat owners. my bad
You see: Anything-Sailing and Sailing Anarchy came to my mind, when you said "the 2 other" Now, as to your other comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
the 2 other sailing forums have threads going about how sad it is that sailnet got "hacked" Adms, you may want to go set them straight. or not!
Kinda hard to "set them straight" when what happened was functionally indistinguishable from a form of "hack." That's why Google flagged SN.

This is one of the chances one takes when they allow content from sources not under their control to be presented/served by their servers, under their name.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
You see: Anything-Sailing and Sailing Anarchy came to my mind, when you said "the 2 other" Now, as to your other comment...
Strange. I immediately thought of CF and SA. Or SW and Stuff. Or Scuttlebutt and Pressure-Drop. Then there are all the smaller forums I can't keep up with...like clown-forum.com (You should check that one out. Seriously creepy.).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-09-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Smack,

If you want a really fun forum, try trashtalk dot com...... a true anything goes forum!

Marty
Old 09-09-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Dude - no more forums for me! I'm neck deep in trash talk as it is from sea to shining sea!

How about pottymouthmunchkins.com? Now that's one sick forum.

(BTW - the little dude in green is carrying the ban stick - so be careful)

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-09-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'll bet that ban stick hurts! look what it did to the witch of the east! or was it west?!?!?!
Old 09-09-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Kane, you say it was harmless code from an (?) ad. Google just says there was code that launched "a process" on their target machine.

Last month I got hit and hit hard by malware apparently innocently hosted on a couple of web sites. I'm probably not the only one out here who would like to hear exactly what the code in question was, and exactly what it did/does.

I don't expect Google to tell me squat, perhaps you could fill us in with some more specific details?

As they say in the Navy, "sh|t happens". No need to censor that, you'll find the same exact words are allowed by the FCC and displayed on the library shelves these days. On the web, a lot less of it would happen if web designers and web hosts would simply say "NO!" to the bulk of the needless active code and glitz that everyone can't live without these days. Plain solid HTML 3.2 can accomplish most of what all of us need--and do it without most of the malware dangers. No Java, no Active-X, no Flash...none of that stuff is necessary for most of what it is used for. Same could be said for CSS, too. Just something to think about, before the next "happens".
Old 09-10-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
On the web, a lot less of it would happen if web designers and web hosts would simply say "NO!" to the bulk of the needless active code and glitz that everyone can't live without these days.
True, but pointless. I say "pointless" because most of the world, well, most of the U.S., anyway, is run, these days, not by experts in their fields or people for whom the thing is truly their avocation, but by people for whom it's merely "a job." More often than not, the decision-makers are PHBs that specialize (or, at least, believe they do) in marketing, accounting or law. So, assuming you even have somebody in charge of the technical details that knows "active" content is just a disaster waiting to happen (an increasing rarity, I would add), and cares enough to try to prevent its use, they'll almost certainly be overruled by people that really shouldn't be making such decisions.

(Not suggesting this is necessarily what happened here. Just commenting on the sorry state of the 'net, in general.)

Take the most recent email worm scare, for example. It would seem it's making pretty good progress. Or was for a while. Thing is: This is an old tech. worm. We've seen it before. Somebody just took an old idea, thought "I bet people have forgotten," and launched it. They were right. So how does this jibe with what I wrote above? This is how: The reason this "new" worm worked is because email admins allow just about anything thru their email gateways (and some don't even have proper email gateways in the first place), relying upon things to protect them that can only stop what they know about. It's a model guaranteed to fail. It fails every single time. And so it did again. Instead, what admins should be doing, and would be doing if they were competent and not being overridden by PHBs, is blocking things like SCRs and URLs to SCRs right at the email gateways. This latest worm would've never gotten off the ground (again) had that been the case.

Jim