Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Jeff,
Yep, DEFINITELY SAILNET. I'd just opened a new browser window and sailnet was my first stop.

I did screen captures of both messages. Here's the full URL of the screen that popped up:
http://www.cpalead.com/mygateway/myg...ateid=MTM3OTEz

I figured you might need this info to track down the offending ad. I wish I had more info for you.

Also FWIW, the documentation I found for this adware company indicates it usually sits in front of a content site to collect information before it allows people to view the site.

DAMN!, I just opened Sailnet in another browser window to get the name of another poster who'd gotten this popup and it came up again -- even though I have Explorer set to block content from cpalead.com.

Jim

this page may have popped up on your computer but is in no way associated with SailNet. it could have easily been a 'pop under' served by another site when the terms Vbulletin are detected on a page. Vbulletin is the forum software we use on SailNet. I have seen this before on various sites.

My suggestion is that you scan your system for ad software such as this. One of the one we like is : Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes

please download that and run it on your computer please.

my opinions are based on the fact that there are at least 4 of us here in the office who are on sailnet all day long and no other members have reported anything like this and there are typically over 2,000 unique visitors on the site every day.

as always we take your concerns seriously and are double -checking everything on this end.

Jeff J

Last edited by administrator; 10-05-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
This pop-up just came up for me as well. It blocked the entire Sailnet page until I tried closing the popup and said "OK" to the confirmation message. Sailnet was the only thing I had open at the time. I use IE 8 with no ad/spam blocking...although I'm thinking ad-block may be a prudent next step.
Old 10-05-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
this page may have popped up on your computer but is in no way associated with SailNet.
Jeff, isn't much of SN's advertising content served-up by advert servers over which SN has no control? I know many of the sites I have listed in ABP have no relationship to SN, other than the fact they're listed because they were seriously slowing-down my SN experience at one-time-or-another.

Weren't the last couple of problems/complaints, like the Google listing, a result of such servers?

Jim
Old 10-05-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I saw exactly the same thing JimMcGee mentioned in the original post. It happened to me when I first went to SailNet this morning. I am running Firefox 3.5.9 on Fedora 11 linux, so this isn't related to IE and it isn't adware/malware on my computer. I got the same warning when I tried to leave the page the others have described, and I clicked "OK " to leave the page, and SailNet loaded as normal. I have only seen the ad that one time. I haven't seen the "you're a winner" ads the others have mentioned. I don't use any kind of ad block.
Old 10-05-2010

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Everyone,
Just got off the phone with Sailnet and they're working on it.

Thanks again guys for a great site,
Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-05-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Jim,

Sorry about that.

Not sure why you're seeing this. I have never seen any of these, nor the "you're a winner" windows. I am not running any special ad-blocks, either.

I'll send a note to admin and ask them to take a look.
"You're a winner" has been popping up for a while now WITH AUDIO.

VERY, VERY OBNOXIOUS and VERY, VERY UNPROFESSIONAL of SN to not better monitor the JUNK that is becoming this site. I am just about ready to pack it in here. Plenty of other forums that run a MUCH tighter ship and that actually LISTEN to customers complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
this page may have popped up on your computer but is in no way associated with SailNet. it could have easily been a 'pop under' served by another site when the terms Vbulletin are detected on a page. Vbulletin is the forum software we use on SailNet. I have seen this before on various sites.

Jeff J
BTW I am on NINE vBulletin forums on a near daily basis. NONE of the other forums get the "You're a Winner" pop up, NONE! Before you guys blame vBulletin you might look deeper into the problems created by the Ad's on this site. SPEED being one of them. SN is all but unusable on my Android Incredible due to the ads SLOWING it down so much. Cruisers Forum, Plastic Classic, SBO, SA and all the others open in under two seconds or nearly instantaneously on my Android but SN takes 45+ seconds and often won't even open no matter how long it tries..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-05-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
The ads really are a problem.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
The ads really are a problem.
Then do away with them. It's easy. (Except perhaps on mobile platforms.) Sailnet works fine for me, now. Firefox + Adblock Plus. Works like a charm. Plus it has an additional advantage: You know how some people post

GIGANTIC PICTURES

that then make you have to scroll sideways back-and-forth to read the rest of the thread? Very annoying. Yeah, you can block those sites, but then you inevitably have to unblock them again to see some picture(s) that somebody else posts. Adblock Plus to the rescue: it'll allow you to block a specific picture or pictures located w/in a specific folder somewhere.

On another site, somebody came up with an avatar he thought was real funny. Well, it was funny for all of about 60 seconds and, given the subject matter, really isn't work-safe. Problem solved: I blocked specifically the URL to his avatar with Adblock Plus.

Hate to sound like an OxiClean commercial , but this is one of the handiest bits of software I've seen in a while.

Jim
Old 10-05-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
"You're a winner" has been popping up for a while now WITH AUDIO.

VERY, VERY OBNOXIOUS and VERY, VERY UNPROFESSIONAL of SN to not better monitor the JUNK that is becoming this site. I am just about ready to pack it in here. Plenty of other forums that run a MUCH tighter ship and that actually LISTEN to customers complaints.

BTW I am on NINE vBulletin forums on a near daily basis. NONE of the other forums get the "You're a Winner" pop up, NONE! Before you guys blame vBulletin you might look deeper into the problems created by the Ad's on this site. SPEED being one of them. SN is all but unusable on my Android Incredible due to the ads SLOWING it down so much. Cruisers Forum, Plastic Classic, SBO, SA and all the others open in under two seconds or nearly instantaneously on my Android but SN takes 45+ seconds and often won't even open no matter how long it tries..
Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

I know you know this, MS, but I want to make sure other members understand that Mods have no control over the advertisements and other issues that seem to be causing problems for some folks.

And, speaking for myself, I have no computer expertise. We have a bunch of members that are much more capable of offering suggestions/solutions. I listen up when they speak -- but oddly enough despite my lack of tech-savvy I seem to be one of the least-plagued by these problems.

Whenever the issue goes beyond simple moderating, we forward the problem to Admin right away. And we do pester them to try to resolve it. But that's the extant of our ability to help.

As a fellow member, I'm very sorry so many folks are having these issues. I encourage Sailnet Admin to get this squared away -- it would be a shame to lose the on-going contributions of so many valuable members.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-05-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post

GIGANTIC PICTURES
Jim

This issue should have been fixed by the admins long ago. You can control the displayed with and height of LINKED photos within the vBulletin software. Sailboat Owners, Cruisers Forum and many, many other forums do this so it does not blow out the formatting... Fairly easy fix...

In the vBulletin Admin panel you go into Attachments then Attachment Manager and set the max width and max height parameters. On SBO we use 620 MAX WIDTH and 400 MAX HEIGHT. This change takes all of four or five minutes adn is why you never need to scroll sideways on Sailboatowners, Cruisers forum and others. You can set it for bmp, jpg, jpeg, gif etc. etc....

John R.,

Sorry was not trying to shoot the messenger it's just that SN has become very frustrating lately, and well, I am frustrated.

Was sitting in the chair in my 3 1/2 year old daughters room last night while she fell asleep. She likes us in there then once asleep we can bail. Just about the time she was about out, 45 minutes into it, YOU'RE A WINNER comes blaring out the speakers of the Macbook waking up my daughter which required another 40 minutes before she finally fell asleep...

This kind of JUNK is inexcusable and I should not have to download extra software just to surf and contribute to this site.

If the admins don't DO SOMETHING contributing long time members like myself, will bail.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-05-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Closed Thread