Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
"New Posts" drop down menu blocked by advertisements

I often like to use the "New Posts" drop down and select "New Posts - no politics/off topic" just to see what the latest topics are.

Recently, however, the banner ad at the top of the page stays in front of the drop down box. When I click on the drop-down box arrow next to "New Posts", the drop down box drops down BEHIND the ad.

Which means it's totally useless and I can't click on the option I want.

Some ad don't do it, but most do. I'm supposing those ads are coded to always be on top - but that interferes with a key functionality of this site (at least to me).

Thanks.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
See here: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailne...ors-admin.html
Old 10-12-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
hmmmm,.....I thought that had been fixed. Was a problem a month or so back but for me at least it has gone away.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-12-2010
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
tdw,
I appreciate your concerns and all the help you and the other mods have done for me.
I also know you (mods) can only suggest things to the Admin or owners (if there is a difference).
But it is the ads (and maybe other things) that have made lots of things on this site difficult to get around in.
That is driving people away.
Old 10-12-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

Just another data point - I use a firm-provided laptop to access the interweb, so I can't make changes to it; e.g., using a different browser or anything like that.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerust View Post
Just another data point - I use a firm-provided laptop to access the interweb, so I can't make changes to it; e.g., using a different browser or anything like that.
Regardless of the browser, see post #6 in the thread to which I pointed you for a solution that requires neither a browser change nor add-on. (That's assuming whatever browser you are using will allow you to turn off Flash.)

Jim
Old 10-13-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

Ha! Hadn't thought of bookmarking the link. Thanks!

- Mark Twain
Old 10-14-2010

SeaFever2000 is on a distinguished road
I have seen this problem from a few months and have messaged Sailnet Admin with no response. If the solution being proposed is 'turning off Flash' that is not a good solution. It is a work around at best. In my humble opinion the Sailnet website needs to be fixed and should not allow the Ads to be 'in front of' the menu items - in this case 'New Posts and its drop down menu'. This is Sailnet real estate and should not be covered by the Ads.
Old 10-15-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

I bookmarked the link and that works fine for me now.

- Mark Twain
Old 10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFever2000 View Post
If the solution being proposed is 'turning off Flash' that is not a good solution.
The solution being proposed is to turn off Flash only long enough to expose the menu so you can get to the menu item and bookmark it. (Reading the actual, entire solution helps.) Better yet: Update to a current version of Firefox, which also solves the problem. Then you can also run Adblock Plus, which will really solve the problem.

Btw: There are good reasons for turning off Flash and leaving it off: It's an exploit/vulnerability hole of epic proportions. It, along with many of Adobe's other products (incl., I would note, AcroRead and associated PDF applications) regularly appears on exploit risk assessment warning lists. It's almost as bad as Microsoft's ActiveTrojan, IMO. IMO it's Evil, and I utterly detest it.

Jim