SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Announcements and Suggestions Box (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/)
-   -   Change user name -or- new registration (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/69787-change-user-name-new-registration.html)

dmac001 11-10-2010 02:43 PM

Change user name -or- new registration

Hi, I would like to change my sailnet user name -or- create a new user. There doesn't seem to be any option to change a user namea. I saw a post suggesting creating a new registration with a different email. I tried that and the registration returns 'Could not find phrase 'username_invalidchars'.

Although an error, the message is somewhat obvious. I'm trying to register 'Capt.Don'. I assume that the dot is causing problems; however, I search sailnet users and see lots of Capn.xxx or Capt.xxx user names (i.e., those with dot, underscore, ....).

Is there anyway to register Capt.Don?

Also, the User Name validation javascript is not working. The text claims 'After entering 3 characters, a list of Usernames already in use will appear....'. This throws 'object expected in register.php'.

Thank you
Don

tdw 11-10-2010 05:09 PM

Its not possible to change User Name. At least it is beyond the power of a Moderator to do so.

You can ask to have original user name banned and then re register new name. If you simply try to register new user you run the risk of both users being banned.

I'm sorry but the technical issues you hav experience are beyond me. Hopefully someone else might be able to assist.

Faster 11-10-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmac001 (Post 665183)
...... I saw a post suggesting creating a new registration with a different email. I tried that......

As td indicated user name changes are discouraged and rarely done. It's an administrator function and will only be done for strongly compelling reasons.

Whatever you do, please do not re-register under another username.. that IS against the rules and you may well end up banned.

dmac001 11-11-2010 06:46 PM

Understand the issue with re-registering with multiple usernames. I have not done so.

I would like to be an active member of the community; however, my current username was setup before I completed my USCG captain's license and would like my username to represent this accomplishment. Clearly this benefits the myself and the community.

There appear to be problems with the registration. The username validation is throwing object not found errors and is not accepting usernames with dots (although there are current users with dots in their username). So even if I wanted to, I couldn't register a new user.

How does one go about changing the username? I thought by posting here, I could get this resolved. Appreciate your help.

Faster 11-11-2010 06:55 PM

dmac

One of the things you can do in your profile is customize a signature, and have it appear in each of your posts automatically. This is where most users put information such as that you wish to put out there (eg, licenced qualifications etc) Also if you're making a living in a marine related way you must disclose that too - in a non-advertising manner.

Have a look at that and see if that would satisfy your requirements.

The only other option would be for us to ban the current account, and have you register anew, but that would mean that any old posts of yours would forever be tagged with the 'banned' notation - a stigma that you might want to avoid.